Chances at T14 AA Female Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gogetter

New

Chances at T14 AA Female

Post by gogetter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Good morning all. I am a new poster here and wanted to get some input. I'm on track to graduate with a 3.86 (Magna) early next year. However, I'm concerned about the 1.9 I got freshman year (2002). I basically was in college because of my parents and I was studying something that I had no interest in. Also, my brother was shot and killed around that same time. His death coupled with the stresses of trying to transition into college was too much. Fast-forward to the present and I'm doing well. I've held full-time employment the entire time while not sacrificing my studies. These are the schools I'm considering so far:

UCLA
USC
NYU
WashU
SLU (St. Louis Uni.)

I've been PT'ing around 157, but that's with minimal practice. I'm just becoming increasingly concerned that my freshman year almost a decade ago is going to be detrimental to acceptance and/or scholarships. HELP! :cry: Also (between my sobs :lol: ), are there any other schools I should be considering? I'd love to try for HYS, but I think that may be too big of a reach with the 1.9.

kehoema2

Bronze

Re: Chances at T14 AA Female

Post by kehoema2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Get a real score and then ask.

If you insist on knowing now, I'd say only in at St. Louis U.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Do you know what your cumulative LSDAS GPA will be? That's what matters, not any one individual semester.

Also, study like crazy for the LSAT. Take a prep course if you have to. You could get into the high 160s or even 170 from where you are now if you study and prep hard. If you want HYS that's what you need to do, focus on the LSAT as much as possible, study it like your future depends on it.

gogetter

New

Post by gogetter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Do you know what your cumulative LSDAS GPA will be?
I tried one calculator and it said 3.53. That's not a terrible GPA, but not where I had hoped to be.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:05 pm

gogetter wrote:
I tried one calculator and it said 3.53. That's not a terrible GPA, but not where I had hoped to be.
If you just get that LSAT score to the 160s you can break T14 with a 3.53. Get it to 170+ and HYS is possible, though definitely not certain. Usually the LSAT weighs a little more, so if that's solid you'll do fine. Also make sure your essays are strong. If you want to PM me I can give you the details on my cycle. I have mediocre numbers/great results. Good luck!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:23 pm

law_monkey wrote:
gogetter wrote:
If you just get that LSAT score to the 160s you can break T14 with a 3.53. Get it to 170+ and HYS is possible, though definitely not certain. Usually the LSAT weighs a little more, so if that's solid you'll do fine. Also make sure your essays are strong. If you want to PM me I can give you the details on my cycle. I have mediocre numbers/great results. Good luck!
That's because law schools love Nebraska people.

gogetter

New

Post by gogetter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for all of the input! I plan to take the June LSAT, so I still have some decent study time ahead of me.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:37 pm

gogetter wrote:Thanks for all of the input! I plan to take the June LSAT, so I still have some decent study time ahead of me.
Feel free to check out my cycle (in my profile). I have a similar GPA. Good luck!

gogetter

New

Post by gogetter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:40 pm

timmna wrote:
gogetter wrote:Thanks for all of the input! I plan to take the June LSAT, so I still have some decent study time ahead of me.
Feel free to check out my cycle (in my profile). I have a similar GPA. Good luck!
Wow! Congrats! Your cycle gives me hope! :D

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Sentry wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
gogetter wrote:
That's because law schools love Nebraska people.
:D :D :D I was wondering where my luck was coming from!

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Do extremely well on the LSAT and your applications, and you'll be fine. You had a traumatic experience (losing your brother) that affected your grades. Do a well-written addendum explaining that, leaving out anything that sounds whiny or like you are making excuses. In fact, I'd skip the whole parents/motivation part all together. Law schools will see that you recovered and that the reason for your low performance freshman year was completely reasonable. Really, it shouldn't hurt you at all. Just prep well for the LSAT and go for it!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 am

I got into several T14 schools with a lower GPA and an LSAT in the 160s. A well-written PS and addendum will go a long way to help you (it definitely helped me), but not as much as an LSAT so work hard to get that up at least a few points. Be sure to focus on the rising GPA and fulltime work in your addendum.

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 pm

kehoema2 wrote:Get a real score and then ask.

If you insist on knowing now, I'd say only in at St. Louis U.
Terrible answer, I got in Cornell with a 3.5, 157 so anything is possible if you put your application together well. Apply where you want to go and see what happens. I also got a fee waiver to USC and NYU (but no decision yet) and the rep from USC told me that the 157 is well within their range. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”