LGBT Class of 2014

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ExpectLess

Re: LGBT Class of 2014

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Kili wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:Checking in :) Undecided, but leaning NYU right now.

QFAwesome Avatar :D

Knew that eventually someone would recognize it :D

Postby 02122015 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

upfish wrote:
dot wrote:Question - anyone else get a lot of gay recruiting from Mich?

My main LGBTQ recruiting email came from, of all places, Univ. of Detroit. o.O

I only remember getting one LGBT mailing, and it came with a fee waiver from Yale. I got in in February of my cycle, and Yale was obscenely out of my numbers range. I didn't bother.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Just found this thread, lovely!

I got a ton of gay stuff from Michigan and Stanford, actually.

Also, I'm part of the uncertain group but I'm leaning toward Penn, and will be at that ASW in March!

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:47 am

Uncertain here as well. Ideally, I'd end up at Northwestern (if they decide I'm worthy to get in from this hold!).

Otherwise, probably Georgetown or USC.

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm

hey folks, in at berkeley and probably headed there. still waiting to hear on scholarships and matching. also waiting on stanford...

src42

Postby src42 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Great thread! Great to see so many homos on TLS! :) I'll either be at Michigan or NU, unless I get a magical acceptance from NYU or SLS.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:27 pm

src42 wrote:Great thread! Great to see so many homos on TLS! :) I'll either be at Michigan or NU, unless I get a magical acceptance from NYU or SLS.

I just feel a dire need to comment on the fact that you called us all homos. Homo/Homa are two of my very favorite words. They often get me into trouble as some people feel it is offensive but I don't think I'll ever get over it. Sorry for the completely pointless tangent, just had to say props for using a great word. :)

forward

Postby forward » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:
src42 wrote:Great thread! Great to see so many homos on TLS! :) I'll either be at Michigan or NU, unless I get a magical acceptance from NYU or SLS.

I just feel a dire need to comment on the fact that you called us all homos. Homo/Homa are two of my very favorite words. They often get me into trouble as some people feel it is offensive but I don't think I'll ever get over it. Sorry for the completely pointless tangent, just had to say props for using a great word. :)

I prefer 'mos. :mrgreen:

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 pm

forward wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

FTR, i like "gaywads".

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
forward wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

FTR, i like "gaywads".

I'm really into referring to us as "The Gays." Like, "Did you know she's A Gay?" or "Sale at Banana Republic? I'm sure The Gays are excited!" There's a certain gravitas to it that I appreciate. :)

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm totally with you on this one. I like using "Gay" as a proper noun. It deserves the capital letter respect

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
dot wrote:Question - anyone else get a lot of gay recruiting from Mich?

never got it! i guess they didn't want me from the start. i did get a big email from WUSTL though. the girl in it was kinda hot (i actually facebooked her....not sure if i'm going to regret telling you guys this)

**the girl who it was from i should say, prez of some LGBT club there
**also, FTR, i didn't friend her, just looked her up :) :) :)

I spoke with that girl, esp. since we are both Georgetown undergrad grads and have friends in common (/she sent me the WUSTL welcome email, about both how it compares to Georgetown undergrad and the LGBT scene).

And checking in. For Michigan.
Also, nope, didn't get any pre-application LGBT recruiting from ANYONE. I'm actually sad about that.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 pm

neonx wrote:Can we please give Emory Law mad props for giving fee waivers to LGBT applicants this cycle?

Wait, they did that?
Either I didn't notice or I didn't get one.

legalmo

Postby legalmo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 pm

forward wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

Hah! Thats where I got the idea for my name :lol: . Anyway, 0L here trying to understand how GLBT recruiting works. Do you come out on your PS/DS? Are the clubs given your name after that or something?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

legalmo wrote:
forward wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

Hah! Thats where I got the idea for my name :lol: . Anyway, 0L here trying to understand how GLBT recruiting works. Do you come out on your PS/DS? Are the clubs given your name after that or something?

Yes, it doesn't give you a boost, but they use the info for targeted recruiting. I'll be making calls next week.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

legalmo wrote: Are the clubs given your name after that or something?

In my experience, if you check the LSAC box, you will get some emails/fee waivers with LGBT information. As far as personal statements, when I got my acceptance call at UVA JDugas was like "let me know if you want me to link you up with LGBT orgs on campus; we won't give them your name without your consent" or something to that extent.

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm really into referring to us as "The Gays." Like, "Did you know she's A Gay?" or "Sale at Banana Republic? I'm sure The Gays are excited!" There's a certain gravitas to it that I appreciate. :)

In my English class, my friend wrote a paper about "the gaze." I was SO CONFUSED when I heard the thesis. My mind immediately jumped to "the gays."

Homo/Homa excludes Bi, y'know.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:36 am

deathviaboredom wrote:

In my English class, my friend wrote a paper about "the gaze." I was SO CONFUSED when I heard the thesis. My mind immediately jumped to "the gays."

Homo/Homa excludes Bi, y'know.

Sorry to exclude the bisexuals. I tend to just include them when I say homa. But my bi friends seem to like to be called flowy. As long as I don't have to use that awful LGBTQQIAA thing...

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
Kili wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong because its been years since i've played the game, but is your avatar one of those things from chrono trigger?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 am

misterbingley wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
Kili wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong because its been years since i've played the game, but is your avatar one of those things from chrono trigger?

Winner :mrgreen:

Also, I like "the gays" for everyday conversation. But "mo" is preferable for speculation, used in a who-is-he-trying-to-fool sort of way. As in, a guy walks by who you're pretty sure just gave you the look despite being a total frat boy and you comment, "Mo." :roll:

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 am

Kili wrote:Yes. Best game ever.

if we're reminiscing about old rpgs, i actually much prefer ffvii.
also, love that i'm not the only gaymer on here

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”