LGBT Class of 2014

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
legallyb

Re: LGBT Class of 2014

Postby legallyb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah, I've thought about it... I just don't really have the money to take a year off to be honest. I couldn't just move home or anything. And, I'd like to get my LL M, so maybe if I do well at my JD school I can move up? I like Seton Hall from what I've read. It does have a good program for Intellectual Property and I want to go into "entertainment law" so I'm really considering their scholarship offer.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neonx

Postby neonx » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:19 am

I'm deciding between Stanford, Columbia, and NYU at this point in time. I'm guessing I'll see some of y'all next week in Palo Alto?

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 am

bryancharlesmoore wrote:Yeah, I've thought about it... I just don't really have the money to take a year off to be honest. I couldn't just move home or anything. And, I'd like to get my LL M, so maybe if I do well at my JD school I can move up? I like Seton Hall from what I've read. It does have a good program for Intellectual Property and I want to go into "entertainment law" so I'm really considering their scholarship offer.

Couldn't you get a job? Also, if you want entertainment law, your best bet is to work for an agency/management company (preferably in NYC/LA and as an assistant) for a couple years. Then maintain those connections during and after law school. You will definitely have time to study for the LSATs if you do that. I wouldn't recommend going straight from college to law school anyways, but with a 3.99 it would be a sin to not even try to get a better LSAT score. It will be much easier to wait a year, get any job, and raise your LSAT score and go to a better school starting next year than it probably will be to transfer out of Seton Hall to somewhere better.

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey Ya'll! I'm goin to be staying down south for law school, but I'm visiting my brother in the West Village (NYC) this weekend. I was wondering if any of you who were up in NYC recently could tell me what I absolutely shouldn't miss while I'm visiting -- restaurants, bars, shops etc. I've definitely already done all the touristy stuff and I'm looking for more hidden but amazing finds :) Thanks!

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

chasgoose wrote:
bryancharlesmoore wrote:Yeah, I've thought about it... I just don't really have the money to take a year off to be honest. I couldn't just move home or anything. And, I'd like to get my LL M, so maybe if I do well at my JD school I can move up? I like Seton Hall from what I've read. It does have a good program for Intellectual Property and I want to go into "entertainment law" so I'm really considering their scholarship offer.

Couldn't you get a job? Also, if you want entertainment law, your best bet is to work for an agency/management company (preferably in NYC/LA and as an assistant) for a couple years. Then maintain those connections during and after law school. You will definitely have time to study for the LSATs if you do that. I wouldn't recommend going straight from college to law school anyways, but with a 3.99 it would be a sin to not even try to get a better LSAT score. It will be much easier to wait a year, get any job, and raise your LSAT score and go to a better school starting next year than it probably will be to transfer out of Seton Hall to somewhere better.

I'm in full support of this, it was great to take a break after undergrad and pretty nice to have evenings free and $$ with which to do stuff. I graduated in 2009, moved to San Francisco, got a big girl job and have been doing just fine supporting myself without my parents' help. Just because you aren't going straight into law school doesn't mean you have to move home.

I do have to say that working as an assistant at an agency pays very little. Several of my friends worked as assistants at production companies after we graduated and were making less than $30k/year while working obnoxiously long hours.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

khodorko wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

I'm in full support of this, it was great to take a break after undergrad and pretty nice to have evenings free and $$ with which to do stuff. I graduated in 2009, moved to San Francisco, got a big girl job and have been doing just fine supporting myself without my parents' help. Just because you aren't going straight into law school doesn't mean you have to move home.

I do have to say that working as an assistant at an agency pays very little. Several of my friends worked as assistants at production companies after we graduated and were making less than $30k/year while working obnoxiously long hours.

Yeah, I was one of those people (I wish I could have made $30k a year) and when I saw people 5 years older than me not getting any closer to getting out of the assistant pool and into a real job I realized it was time for a change. That said, I was pretty much able to support myself and I made valuable connections that I could probably use to get into entertainment law after graduations if I wanted to. When you are an assistant at an agency/management firm you are in constant contact with entertainment lawyers as part of your client's team and they get to know you.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 pm

chasgoose wrote:
khodorko wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Yeah, I was one of those people (I wish I could have made $30k a year) and when I saw people 5 years older than me not getting any closer to getting out of the assistant pool and into a real job I realized it was time for a change. That said, I was pretty much able to support myself and I made valuable connections that I could probably use to get into entertainment law after graduations if I wanted to. When you are an assistant at an agency/management firm you are in constant contact with entertainment lawyers as part of your client's team and they get to know you.

Haha, seriously. I was being quite generous with the $30K mark, it's definitely good experience but financially not the best post-undergrad option. My friends who have pursued that path are all very dedicated to their jobs but are into their 3rd year and still not making a comfortable LA salary. In terms of studying for the LSAT, production companies and agencies have the worst hours from what I hear.

I work at a tech company with normal 40hr weeks and studying for the LSAT was no problem at all. I tried to put myself on lock down for two months, going out less and studying 10 hrs/week outside of my class and to be honest, I could have done more if I wanted to. I think it might be easier to take on the LSAT when you don't have homework and exams to prepare for, you can easily up that 161.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Any gays gonna be at a Philly area school next fall?

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

voltage88 wrote:Any gays gonna be at a Philly area school next fall?

Yepp, 90% sure I'll be at penn

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:48 pm

khodorko wrote:
voltage88 wrote:Any gays gonna be at a Philly area school next fall?

Yepp, 90% sure I'll be at penn

Nice! I really hope to meet other Philly LGBT law students soon.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:51 pm

rivkah wrote:Hey Ya'll! I'm goin to be staying down south for law school, but I'm visiting my brother in the West Village (NYC) this weekend. I was wondering if any of you who were up in NYC recently could tell me what I absolutely shouldn't miss while I'm visiting -- restaurants, bars, shops etc. I've definitely already done all the touristy stuff and I'm looking for more hidden but amazing finds :) Thanks!

What kind of food and what kind of bar? When you say shops, do you mean souvenirs or clothes? I'm happy to recommend something, but there are way too many options to just start throwing out suggestions.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Anyone gonna be at Northwestern ASW this weekend? Or, I guess, Chicago ASW is this weekend too...? Let me know if you want any recommendations on what to do while you are in Chicago.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm

D-hops wrote:Anyone gonna be at Northwestern ASW this weekend? Or, I guess, Chicago ASW is this weekend too...? Let me know if you want any recommendations on what to do while you are in Chicago.

Gonna be at Northwestern but since I live in Chicago guess I don't need any recommendations! thanks!

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

er doctor wrote:
D-hops wrote:Anyone gonna be at Northwestern ASW this weekend? Or, I guess, Chicago ASW is this weekend too...? Let me know if you want any recommendations on what to do while you are in Chicago.

Gonna be at Northwestern but since I live in Chicago guess I don't need any recommendations! thanks!

Have fun!!

Come to Michigan!!!

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Just curious, but why is this topic in the underrepresented forum. What statistical evidence is there that LGBT are underrepresented at anywhere other than Notre Dame and Cardozo? With the exception of transgendered students I hardly think that the homosexual community is underrepresented relative to their percentage in the US.

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey everyone,

Boston College 2013 here- best of luck making your decisions! If you have any questions about LGBT at BC or BC in general, feel free to post or IM. We have an active Lambda group and get a lot of support from the student body and faculty/administration, which you wouldn't really expect at a Catholic-affiliated law school.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:Hey everyone,

Boston College 2013 here- best of luck making your decisions! If you have any questions about LGBT at BC or BC in general, feel free to post or IM. We have an active Lambda group (I'm one of the co-chairs for next year) and get a lot of support from the student body and faculty/administration, which you wouldn't really expect at a Catholic-affiliated law school.

But BC's Jesuit. The Jesuits are generally great (now).

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

Have fun!!

Come to Michigan!!!

That's so sweet WP but I have to at least give NWU a try because that's the only way I will be able to stay with my honey for the next three years.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

er doctor wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

Have fun!!

Come to Michigan!!!

That's so sweet WP but I have to at least give NWU a try because that's the only way I will be able to stay with my honey for the next three years.

Awwwww, damn. Well, I really hope you have a good time. Tough decision either way!

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Come to Michigan!!!

That's so sweet WP but I have to at least give NWU a try because that's the only way I will be able to stay with my honey for the next three years.[/quote]

Awwwww, damn. Well, I really hope you have a good time. Tough decision either way![/quote]

Tell me about it

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm

er doctor wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Come to Michigan!!!

Awwwww, damn. Well, I really hope you have a good time. Tough decision either way![/quote]

Tell me about it[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg

/gay

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Just curious, but why is this topic in the underrepresented forum. What statistical evidence is there that LGBT are underrepresented at anywhere other than Notre Dame and Cardozo? With the exception of transgendered students I hardly think that the homosexual community is underrepresented relative to their percentage in the US.

There is no reliable statistical evidence regarding the percentage of lgbt in the US (lol), so how can you claim that we're overrepresented in the legal community?

And NALP says that less than 1% of lawyers self-identify as gay (and it's not in our realm to speculate how many do not identify, so 1% is the only number we have).

Whatever the percentage is, I assume/hope lgbt are more than 1% of the US population so yeah, we're kinda underrepresented.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”