LGBT Class of 2014

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
applepiecrust

Re: LGBT Class of 2014

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 am

er doctor wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
JFo wrote:@ my alma mater, those who were still in the closet had secret message boards to post on, depending on your orientation. They had great titles like "Hi Fi Bis" (reference to an ATL electronics store) and my personal favorite "TRANSformers, more than meets the eye."

Love TRANSformers name, and tag line!

My undergrad has such a very long way to go on trans issues :( One of my close friends just began the transition process (FTM/genderqueer) after graduating (he still works for the university), and it's so hard for him.
But we are doing better with the LGB now (except when it comes to people of color, I feel).

I know I've shared this with you in personal messages but for all you young'uns out there when I was a student (applepiecrust and I share an alma mater) the LGBT group had to fight a legal battle to be recognized by the university and I never joined for fear of being seen going into one of their meetings.

Oh, we've absolutely come such a long way since then! I am also fascinated by the history of our LGBT group even though I now despise it in its current avatar (yet was President of it my sophomore year). In fact, I am fascinated by the history of LGBT identities at our alma mater (/my undergrad; shouldn't go about presumptively calling it my alma mater), and the progression over decades.
But then I see Michigan's had an LGBT Center since about 1970, and we got ours two years ago.

</random rant about easily identifiable school if you see my other posts>

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 pm

ApplePieCrust -- keep recruiting folks for our secret Facebook group!

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:45 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:ApplePieCrust -- keep recruiting folks for our secret Facebook group!

Ok!

Folks, PM me to join our secret facebook group! We're awesome and there're about 20 of us now (we can make it so-much-bigger!)

mikey101

Postby mikey101 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 pm

So I'm heading to Duke in the fall. Thus far I've heard very little about gay life/groups at Duke Law, outside of the fact that the student body isn't hostile to LGBT individuals. Anyone have any further, perhaps more helpful insight?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDevil2007

Postby BlueDevil2007 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:10 pm

mikey101 wrote:So I'm heading to Duke in the fall. Thus far I've heard very little about gay life/groups at Duke Law, outside of the fact that the student body isn't hostile to LGBT individuals. Anyone have any further, perhaps more helpful insight?

I was there for UG. Duke is very accepting of LGBT but lacks a large community. No one is hostile to LGBT but the social scene is dominated by Greek organizations. This may be less true for the Law School, I can't say.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 pm

plurilingue wrote:I would be interested in knowing what people's LGBT experiences at schools outside of California and the Northeast were like, even as an undergraduate. I mean, obviously there are many great schools outside of these regions, but to be honest I didn't even consider applying to schools in the Midwest or the South, such is how poor the quality of life for sexual minorities is perceived here...

Excellent question. Anyone here with experience with Michigan (and Ann Arbor) in general? I'm not as concerned about LGBT-friendliness (because that seems just fine there) as about the social life + dating pool (for girls).

JFo

Postby JFo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:58 pm

If anyone needs to know about Atlanta area schools, reply/PM me.

Also, I'd love to hear about the situation for ladies at UMich, since it's one the programs I'm looking at for the PHD (I like to plan ahead.).

forward

Postby forward » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 am

applepiecrust wrote:
plurilingue wrote:I would be interested in knowing what people's LGBT experiences at schools outside of California and the Northeast were like, even as an undergraduate. I mean, obviously there are many great schools outside of these regions, but to be honest I didn't even consider applying to schools in the Midwest or the South, such is how poor the quality of life for sexual minorities is perceived here...

Excellent question. Anyone here with experience with Michigan (and Ann Arbor) in general? I'm not as concerned about LGBT-friendliness (because that seems just fine there) as about the social life + dating pool (for girls).

http://www.umoutlaws.org/

I was put in touch with a member of the Michigan Outlaws by the Admissions Office. He's been a great resource. The scene would appear to be thriving, based on what he has said. It's not like living in Boystown, but they seem to have their shit together. There are events, bar/club nights in A2, trips to gay clubs in Detriot/Canada/Chicago regularly, etc.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

forward wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:

I was put in touch with a member of the Michigan Outlaws by the Admissions Office. He's been a great resource. The scene would appear to be thriving, based on what he has said. It's not like living in Boystown, but they seem to have their shit together. There are events, bar/club nights in A2, trips to gay clubs in Detriot/Canada/Chicago regularly, etc.

If there's a gayborhood in Windsor, I'm intrigued. Just because it's Windsor.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:24 am

forward wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:

LOL at trips to Canada that I won't be unable to partake in.
How come everyone but me seems to have been put in touch with the Michigan Outlaws by the Admissions Office? Baffled.
The website is great though.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFo

Postby JFo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:45 pm

plurilingue wrote:Anyway, I'm done with my rant, but I would be interested in knowing how LGBT people are treated within large law firms -- how conservative is this industry, really?

I'm not going to touch any of the other issues you brought up your post, but this was my experience:

I worked as a glorified legal assistant @ a mid-size firm in ATL, and I was surprised at how conservative it was. I was out to my peers (all young people) but to no one else, and the only reason I came out was because one of them did too. He wasn't out to anyone else at the firm either. It was very conservative, and there were many rumors about associates/partners being gay (always about the men), and they weren't spread in a kind manner. I felt very uncomfortable there, and I don't present as typically gay.

On the flip side, I've also been to firms in what's considered the South where no one bats an eye, like you describe in San Fran. I think it really depends on the culture of the individual firm. Just my experience though, ymmv.

Also, have we thought about our agenda for 2014?

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 am

I can't speak about the law school, but for the larger school, in general, no one at Michigan is going to bat an eye about anyone's being gay. As for dating--to whomever asked--the LGBT community at Michigan is small. That can be a blessing and a curse. Get to know one person in it (of any letter) and you'll get to know them all.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:04 pm

subtle wrote:I can't speak about the law school, but for the larger school, in general, no one at Michigan is going to bat an eye about anyone's being gay. As for dating--to whomever asked--the LGBT community at Michigan is small. That can be a blessing and a curse. Get to know one person in it (of any letter) and you'll get to know them all.

Hah, that sounds convenient and yet messy at the same time. I feel like you can probably assume that any large school in a small-ish city, while accepting and perfectly accommodating to the LGBT community, is going to have a queer population relatively proportional to the size of the city.

My family is from outside of Harrisburg, a city consisting of approximately 50,000 people two hours outside of Philadelphia, and there are at least 2 lesbian bars and 3 general gay bars that I know of. It's definitely nothing like going out in West Hollywood, but it's always crowded and pretty fun.

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 am

Hey guys, just popping in to say if anyone has questions about Berkeley LGBTQ life feel free to PM me. PM is best because I rarely actually go on TLS anymore!

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Anyway, I'm done with my rant, but I would be interested in knowing how LGBT people are treated within large law firms -- how conservative is this industry, really?

Since my partner graduated from the T14 3 years ago, we have many gay friends in BigLaw, with mixed experiences. During all the stealth layoffs in 0809, there were some firms that seemed to systematically fire their queer employees. All the "weird ones" got cut. This was despite the fact that some of these firms have gay partners.

I think your best bet is to have a gay partner mentor at a firm, to seek that out during recruiting and during your 2L summer, and be under their wing. With a successful partner behind you, people won't fuck with you.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:15 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:
Anyway, I'm done with my rant, but I would be interested in knowing how LGBT people are treated within large law firms -- how conservative is this industry, really?

Since my partner graduated from the T14 3 years ago, we have many gay friends in BigLaw, with mixed experiences. During all the stealth layoffs in 0809, there were some firms that seemed to systematically fire their queer employees. All the "weird ones" got cut. This was despite the fact that some of these firms have gay partners.

I think your best bet is to have a gay partner mentor at a firm, to seek that out during recruiting and during your 2L summer, and be under their wing. With a successful partner behind you, people won't fuck with you.

what about diversity quotas in hiring? i've heard that at some firms being LGBT can give you an advantage because of that

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm

what about diversity quotas in hiring? i've heard that at some firms being LGBT can give you an advantage because of that

some firms definitely recruit LGBT law students. they just don't necessarily keep them for very long. as a 'diversity hire' we might be seen as more disposable than other attorneys. my own impression of the private sector at large is that minority hires tend to be considered 'luxuries' that get cut during downturns.

gin

Postby gin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm from TX (if you haven't looked at my profile). I kind of came out in college so most of my friends already knew me so their only reaction was "he is gay?...who cares he is still an annoying smart-ass" and their perception didn't change at all. I've never been discriminated against and homophobic slurs have never been thrown my way.
Having said that it is still a very religious and conservative place, even in colleges. The only liberal one is UT. People who are college age tend to be more fiscally conservative than socially conservative but it wasn't unheard of to hear in people in class say stuff like "homosexuality is wrong" or "it is a choice", but usually people call them on that (if the students didn't the professor did).
Remember that law students are more liberal than the general pop. For example at a place like Baylor (I did not go there) I've heard of students (not just law students) trying to push the administration to become more gay friendly.
I'm only applying to schools in the NE, not because of the homophobia, but because a number of reasons that is way to long to list here. I cannot speak about other states but I think TX gets a bad rap. It's not the most friendly place, but also remember that Houston's mayor is lesbian and when all the suicides occurred it was a city-council member from the Dallas area. In all honesty I don;t think it is that different from lets say rural PA, which is the state I'm hoping to go.
Here's a link that can help:
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... and-state/
I know Southern and Midwestern states are not the friendliest but I also hope this doesn't discourage you from going there. At least in TX, as long as you stay in the Houston-Dallas-Austin-San Antonio, you should be fine. The most people will do is give you dirty looks (but that usually just encourages me to flaunt it in front of them). I hope thins helps.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:

some firms definitely recruit LGBT law students. they just don't necessarily keep them for very long. as a 'diversity hire' we might be seen as more disposable than other attorneys. my own impression of the private sector at large is that minority hires tend to be considered 'luxuries' that get cut during downturns.

wow, that's pessimistic. :(

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I would officially like to change my school to Columbia!!

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:

Wow. Definitely not true at least when it comes to talking to alumni from my law school and the LGBT people I talk to at networking nights. Then again, I don't think any of the LGBT people who got firm jobs this year needed a LGBT boost.

There are minority 1L firm positions available (LGBT qualifies!), and I know a bunch of kids in my section alone who have firm jobs. So remember to keep tabs on those when you're 1Ls next year.

Also, I'm at UCLA, so PM me if you have any questions. Like the notoriously large LGBT group at BU, UCLA similarly has a strong presence and, I think, a lot more people that is necessary to constitute a "critical mass."

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 pm

subtle wrote:I would officially like to change my school to Columbia!!

ok! congrats!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”