LGBT Class of 2014

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
forward

Re: LGBT Class of 2014

Postby forward » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 am

misterbingley wrote:
Kili wrote:Yes. Best game ever.

if we're reminiscing about old rpgs, i actually much prefer ffvii.
also, love that i'm not the only gaymer on here

<3 FF7. Pretty sure I cried when Aeris died my first time through. I was always so angry they didn't release an expansion pack with an Aeris resurrection mission.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi everyone, I'd like to check into this thread too. I'm undecided right now as I'm waiting to hear back from about 10 more schools. Here's hoping one of my top choices throws me some money!

Leo_Law

Postby Leo_Law » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am

jck4487 wrote:
dot wrote:Question - anyone else get a lot of gay recruiting from Mich?

I got an LGBT flier from Michigan and the Mormon flier, too--seemed kind of funny, really.

Great thread--I'm 95% sure I'm going to UC Irvine, but not ruling out UCLA or U of Washington. I'm one of those indecisive people.

That's interesting. I qualify for both, but I haven't had any schools offer any info for both...they all seem to pick one or the other. I did get some funny looks at the LSAC forum when I asked several representatives whether they had an LGBT student organization as well as the J. Reuben Clark Society.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 am

Leo_Law wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I got an LGBT flier from Michigan and the Mormon flier, too--seemed kind of funny, really.

Great thread--I'm 95% sure I'm going to UC Irvine, but not ruling out UCLA or U of Washington. I'm one of those indecisive people.

That's interesting. I qualify for both, but I haven't had any schools offer any info for both...they all seem to pick one or the other. I did get some funny looks at the LSAC forum when I asked several representatives whether they had an LGBT student organization as well as the J. Reuben Clark Society.

I bet Michigan is trying to commodify this niche

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Leo_Law wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I assume there will be at least a couple of Mormons at every good school. I graduated from BYU last semester; the most awkward experience I had was asking campus reps at the BYU law fair if there were LGBT groups at their schools and how accepting the campus community was of LGBT individuals. I was nervous someone would overhear me - a friend of mine walked up as I was talking to the UDub dean and the dean was nice enough to completely change the conversation so my friend didn't overhear anything compromising. I felt like an idiot haha.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:11 pm

jck4487 wrote:
Leo_Law wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I assume there will be at least a couple of Mormons at every good school. I graduated from BYU last semester; the most awkward experience I had was asking campus reps at the BYU law fair if there were LGBT groups at their schools and how accepting the campus community was of LGBT individuals. I was nervous someone would overhear me - a friend of mine walked up as I was talking to the UDub dean and the dean was nice enough to completely change the conversation so my friend didn't overhear anything compromising. I felt like an idiot haha.

Please tell me you wrote about being LGBT and going to BYU in your personal statement! Either way, props to you for dealing with BYU for 4 years even though they aren't particularly friendly about that situation. Also, that is hilarious about your law school fair and pretty ballsy of you too.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:21 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

Please tell me you wrote about being LGBT and going to BYU in your personal statement! Either way, props to you for dealing with BYU for 4 years even though they aren't particularly friendly about that situation. Also, that is hilarious about your law school fair and pretty ballsy of you too.

Yeah, you sound like a baller person! Way to go! How'd you do the BYU experience?

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

Yeah, you sound like a baller person! Way to go! How'd you do the BYU experience?

Yeah, I wrote my PS about it. It wasn't as bad as you might think. I spent most of my time at BYU repressing my "gayness" anyway, so by the time I came to terms with it, I was almost done. There were actually way more gay people than you'd think at BYU. Although I know probably about 50 or 60 gay people now, I only know of like 2 lesbians, and I've never actually talked to them. I think they have it worse than gay men by far. Because Mormons don't have sex before marriage, BYU is a wedding factory. Women are pressured much more than guys to get married, since most end up being housemakers anyway. It's really sad.

We are actually working to pass non-discrimination ordinances in housing and employment in the city of Provo (where BYU is located). It's kind of funny to see all these closet liberals come out and support us. Since I graduated I am not really at risk of getting in trouble anymore. It's nice to not feel nervous now that they'll kick me out and withhold my transcript, forcing me essentially start over.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 pm

jck4487 wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

Yeah, I wrote my PS about it. It wasn't as bad as you might think. I spent most of my time at BYU repressing my "gayness" anyway, so by the time I came to terms with it, I was almost done. There were actually way more gay people than you'd think at BYU. Although I know probably about 50 or 60 gay people now, I only know of like 2 lesbians, and I've never actually talked to them. I think they have it worse than gay men by far. Because Mormons don't have sex before marriage, BYU is a wedding factory. Women are pressured much more than guys to get married, since most end up being housemakers anyway. It's really sad.

We are actually working to pass non-discrimination ordinances in housing and employment in the city of Provo (where BYU is located). It's kind of funny to see all these closet liberals come out and support us. Since I graduated I am not really at risk of getting in trouble anymore. It's nice to not feel nervous now that they'll kick me out and withhold my transcript, forcing me essentially start over.

There are tons of lesbians in Mormon land, both at BYU and throughout Utah. I happen to know a few of them and you are definitely correct when you say it's harder for lesbians than for gay men. There is just a complete guilt factor tied in to not having kids and being a housewife if you are a lesbian and Mormon girls really seem to feel that.

I'm very glad to hear you wrote about it and that it wasn't that bad in the long run. Heck yes for the closet liberals passing such amazing things in Provo. Could they really have withheld your transcript? I know it's a private school but it seems like they should be under some federal education codes of "you can't retroactively screw gay people over".

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 am

wackyjack22 wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

There are tons of lesbians in Mormon land, both at BYU and throughout Utah. I happen to know a few of them and you are definitely correct when you say it's harder for lesbians than for gay men. There is just a complete guilt factor tied in to not having kids and being a housewife if you are a lesbian and Mormon girls really seem to feel that.

I'm very glad to hear you wrote about it and that it wasn't that bad in the long run. Heck yes for the closet liberals passing such amazing things in Provo. Could they really have withheld your transcript? I know it's a private school but it seems like they should be under some federal education codes of "you can't retroactively screw gay people over".

You would think that, right? Turns out BYU doesn't receive any federal funding so they can do whatever they want.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Anybody know how Harvard, Columbia, and NYU stack up against each other in terms of the size and activity of their gay communities?

I've only talked to a couple of Columbia kids about it, and I got the impression that you won't be swimming in gays over there.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Any one else get an email from Kent at UVa (Lamda Law head and EiC of Law Review)? I asked him about the LGBT acceptance there. His reply:
I had some of the same concerns when I was deciding where to go. My other main choices were in California (and I went to undergrad at UC Irvine), so I was wary about coming to VA. It was really meeting with professors at admitted students day that convinced me this was the right place for me.

I think you will find that UVa and the Charlottesville community are very welcoming and accepting. Charlottesville is a small liberal bastion in the middle of conservative central Virginia. The gay community here is relatively small, but that's to be expected in any small city. We have a cool bar on the downtown mall, and lots of straight students join us there regularly. In fact, we are having a party there Wednesday, and if it's anything like last year's party, it will be the best attended of all the Feb Club parties.

The school is very accepting. Last year the Dean invited the Lambda group to his house for cocktails. We often co-sponsor events with other student organizations. We recently sponsored a debate, with the Federalist Society and the American Constitutional Society, over Prop 8 between one of the plaintiffs' trial lawyers and the legal counsel of the Alliance Defense Fund. Also, I was just chosen as the first (we believe) openly gay Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review, so hopefully that is an indication that nothing is standing in the way of our LGBT students' achievement here.

As far as the other students go, there is a wide range of political and social views. You will run into some students who are extremely conservative. I think UVa appeals to them over places like Berkeley, for example. But everyone is extremely cordial, and I have found being in classes with people who have different backgrounds than I do has been challenging and rewarding. It really makes me examine my views and think through my opinions. Of course there are just as many or more moderates and liberals, too.

I hope that gives you a better picture of what it's like here. Let me know if you have more questions, and please keep in touch along the way. Be sure to let me know if you're going to make it to Admitted Students Weekend.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Have any of the Michigan admitted students been contacted by the Outlaws or other LGBT students at all?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm

misterbingley wrote:Anybody know how Harvard, Columbia, and NYU stack up against each other in terms of the size and activity of their gay communities?

I've only talked to a couple of Columbia kids about it, and I got the impression that you won't be swimming in gays over there.

i know one gay guy at columbia - he is a 1L this year. didn't seem to have too much trouble finding a boyfriend quickly, at least according to facebook.

just an anecdote.

i would imagine NYU wins in this battle

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
misterbingley wrote:Anybody know how Harvard, Columbia, and NYU stack up against each other in terms of the size and activity of their gay communities?

i know one gay guy at columbia - he is a 1L this year. didn't seem to have too much trouble finding a boyfriend quickly, at least according to facebook.

just an anecdote.

The only person I know at NYU Law is a gay guy who worked for an LGBT org pre-law school and NYU def. is excellent according to him (they also have the LGBT Clinic which I think is SO cool).
IDK about Columbia (Columbia undergrad is pretty queer); I could ask my ex at Harvard about it, but that would entail a very awkward conversation.

Congratulations on the great choices though!

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

just an anecdote.

The only person I know at NYU Law is a gay guy who worked for an LGBT org pre-law school and NYU def. is excellent according to him (they also have the LGBT Clinic which I think is SO cool).
IDK about Columbia (Columbia undergrad is pretty queer); I could ask my ex at Harvard about it, but that would entail a very awkward conversation.

Congratulations on the great choices though!

I was just curious. I'm not in at H :oops:

forward

Postby forward » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 am

applepiecrust wrote:Have any of the Michigan admitted students been contacted by the Outlaws or other LGBT students at all?

I have been. He's great - we've traded a number of emails. I'm impressed by the UM Outlaws. They definitely have their shit together.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 am

forward wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:Have any of the Michigan admitted students been contacted by the Outlaws or other LGBT students at all?

I have been. He's great - we've traded a number of emails. I'm impressed by the UM Outlaws. They definitely have their shit together.

Loved their website. Why have I not gotten any love? Did they forget I am queer as a three dollar bill, and brought it up on my resume, PS, DS and LSAC credentials?

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Just saying, I think we should get a "Legal Queers - Class of 2014" facebook group of some sort...

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm

khodorko wrote:Just saying, I think we should get a "Legal Queers - Class of 2014" facebook group of some sort...

I think that's a great idea. I might make it, as soon as I can think of a witty name. Suggestions?

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
khodorko wrote:Just saying, I think we should get a "Legal Queers - Class of 2014" facebook group of some sort...

I think that's a great idea. I might make it, as soon as I can think of a witty name. Suggestions?

I vote for alliteration, but I can't think of anything creative right now either.

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

I really don't know if you can beat the wit of the established "outlaw" groups

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm

dot wrote:I really don't know if you can beat the wit of the established "outlaw" groups

LOL, true. But it's so overdone.

Though we could be Top Outlaws Class of 2014.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:56 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
dot wrote:I really don't know if you can beat the wit of the established "outlaw" groups

LOL, true. But it's so overdone.

Though we could be Top Outlaws Class of 2014.

Fresh Meat (A la those Road Rules/Real World Challenge thingies)? Cool Queer Kids Crew? Or yeah...Outlaws Class of 2014 works too :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”