LGBT Class of 2014 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
src42

Bronze

Re: LGBT Class of 2014

Post by src42 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Checking in. I'll be at Penn in the fall. So excited!

Jameson86

New

Post by Jameson86 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:18 pm

ect88 wrote:Going to Tulane this fall! :)
Me too!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:15 am

Stanford Law, as of today.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 am

neonx wrote:Stanford Law, as of today.

Congrats, BB. Even if Stanford is in the opposite direction of where you should be.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:44 am

neonx wrote:Stanford Law, as of today.
Same for me!

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:05 am

src42 wrote:Checking in. I'll be at Penn in the fall. So excited!
Hey! Jackie and I are going to Penn in the fall as well. Are you on the FB group?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 am

Thought I'd join the thread. UT in the fall. :D

ETA: Any other LGBT joining me in Texas???

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:43 pm

khodorko wrote:
src42 wrote:Checking in. I'll be at Penn in the fall. So excited!
Hey! Jackie and I are going to Penn in the fall as well. Are you on the FB group?
Not yet. My boss is my FB friend and I want to tell him about law school before I "out" myself. :)

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Same for me!
me three!

so... is it gonna be awkward admitting why we already know each other when we do student orientation in august? not sure i'm ready to introduce myself to our new class as a TLS web forum addict.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:

Same for me!
me three!

so... is it gonna be awkward admitting why we already know each other when we do student orientation in august? not sure i'm ready to introduce myself to our new class as a TLS web forum addict.
Just say we met at ASW and nurtured the friendship via Facebook from that point onward. :wink:

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:52 pm

tgir wrote:
JeremyPaul wrote:

Same for me!
me three!

Just say we met at ASW and nurtured the friendship via Facebook from that point onward. :wink:
At least take comfort in the fact that you did not act like I did during ASW . . . pointing people out incessantly.

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:58 pm

At least take comfort in the fact that you did not act like I did during ASW . . . pointing people out incessantly.
haha i'm sad i missed that part of ASW!! sounds funny and so awkward. :)

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey, have you all been following the King & Spalding controversy? The law firm that will be defending DOMA on behalf of Congress?

A good summary of the issue is here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 ... 52750.html

What do you think is an appropriate way for LGBT student groups to respond? Do you think they should request that the firm isn't allowed to do on campus interviews?

Aside from representing DOMA (cause let's face it, most firms represent pretty nasty clients), the contract also stipulates that no employee who works at the firm is allowed to do any advocacy on behalf of federal marriage equality. See: http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=6167

Whadya think?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:19 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:Hey, have you all been following the King & Spalding controversy? The law firm that will be defending DOMA on behalf of Congress?

What do you think is an appropriate way for LGBT student groups to respond? Do you think they should request that the firm isn't allowed to do on campus interviews?

Aside from representing DOMA (cause let's face it, most firms represent pretty nasty clients), the contract also stipulates that no employee who works at the firm is allowed to do any advocacy on behalf of federal marriage equality. See: http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=6167

Whadya think?
We talked about this in our Outlaw group. We've decided not to pursue the matter; part of it is because my specific school is not exactly gonna have a chance in hell of banning K&S from campus for various reasons, but also because we're inclined to agree with this:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/quote-of ... riage-act/
A lawyer who defends an individual or a law, no matter how unpopular or distasteful, helps ensure that the outcome is viewed as fair. If DOMA is struck down, the fact that it was defended effectively will make the victory for its opponents more credible…. We hope [Paul] Clement loses, but we don’t begrudge him the assignment. Even a lawyer of his skills will find it hard to defend a discriminatory law like DOMA.

– a Los Angeles Times staff editorial, defending former Solicitor General Paul Clement and his law firm, King & Spalding, against criticism of their defense of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
As for the clause prohibiting associates from advocating for DOMA repeal, this seems like a standard way to prevent firm-wide conflicts of interest. Notice how the clause doesn't mention anything about state-level marriage equality, for one thing. It seems like it is just trying to keep K&M from defending and opposing DOMA at the same time.

Furthermore, they don't really otherwise have an anti-LGBT track record; HRC gives them a 95/100 score for workplace equality (higher than, e.g, United Airlines, Thomson Reuters (i.e. Westlaw, etc), McDonalds, Rite Aid, Whole Foods, Kroger, Safeway, Burger King, M&M Mars, Heinz, KFC, Domino's, Nokia, Hilton, Holiday Inn, American Family Insurance, State Farm, Expedia, FedEx, GE, CVS, Qwest, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car). None of those companies even have scores below 50/100. Compare this to companies with 0/100, such as USAA, ExxonMobil, Dollar General, Family Dollar, DISH Network, and Philip Morris, but nobody seems to be doing anything about those.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:40 pm

MSPeast wrote:
JeremyPaul wrote:Hey, have you all been following the King & Spalding controversy? The law firm that will be defending DOMA on behalf of Congress?

Whadya think?
We talked about this in our Outlaw group. We've decided not to pursue the matter; part of it is because my specific school is not exactly gonna have a chance in hell of banning K&S from campus for various reasons, but also because we're inclined to agree with this:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/quote-of ... riage-act/
A lawyer who defends an individual or a law, no matter how unpopular or distasteful, helps ensure that the outcome is viewed as fair. If DOMA is struck down, the fact that it was defended effectively will make the victory for its opponents more credible…. We hope [Paul] Clement loses, but we don’t begrudge him the assignment. Even a lawyer of his skills will find it hard to defend a discriminatory law like DOMA.

– a Los Angeles Times staff editorial, defending former Solicitor General Paul Clement and his law firm, King & Spalding, against criticism of their defense of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
As for the clause prohibiting associates from advocating for DOMA repeal, this seems like a standard way to prevent firm-wide conflicts of interest. Notice how the clause doesn't mention anything about state-level marriage equality, for one thing. It seems like it is just trying to keep K&M from defending and opposing DOMA at the same time.

Furthermore, they don't really otherwise have an anti-LGBT track record; HRC gives them a 95/100 score for workplace equality (higher than, e.g, United Airlines, Thomson Reuters (i.e. Westlaw, etc), McDonalds, Rite Aid, Whole Foods, Kroger, Safeway, Burger King, M&M Mars, Heinz, KFC, Domino's, Nokia, Hilton, Holiday Inn, American Family Insurance, State Farm, Expedia, FedEx, GE, CVS, Qwest, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car). None of those companies even have scores below 50/100. Compare this to companies with 0/100, such as USAA, ExxonMobil, Dollar General, Family Dollar, DISH Network, and Philip Morris, but nobody seems to be doing anything about those.
HRC Ratings are pretty much exclusively about the benefits offered to LGBT employees (and domestic partners), they say nothing about the acceptance of the employees in the work place or any other qualitative factors about working for a company. Not saying that there are not legit rankings, I just don't think the accurately reflect "best places to work" over "places where you get the most benefits". I'll bet anything a gay guy working in marketing/advertisement at McDonalds is going to be more accepted than someone in tax law at a big firm. So, take those rankings with a grain of salt.

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:59 pm

I'll bet anything a gay guy working in marketing/advertisement at McDonalds is going to be more accepted than someone in tax law at a big firm. So, take those rankings with a grain of salt.
oh no! i'm actually hoping to go into tax law! please tell me this isn't based on personal experience within tax?? :(

as for the contract stipulating a gag rule on any DOMA-related advocacy, the president of lambda legal is already questioning its legality and claiming that it is far from standard practice:
Davidson specifically pointed to California, where King & Spalding has two offices, in which Labor Code Section 1101 states that "[n]o employer shall make, adopt, or enforce any rule, regulation, or policy ... [f]orbidding or preventing employees from engaging or participating in politics ...."

http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=6167

another strategy that student groups could take is for every LGBT student to sign up to interview with them and then just ask questions related to the DOMA case and not respond to call-back offers. actually... not sure if that would be effective...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:17 pm

D-hops wrote: I'll bet anything a gay guy working in marketing/advertisement at McDonalds is going to be more accepted than someone in tax law at a big firm. So, take those rankings with a grain of salt.
Stop talking 0L, your comment was stupid.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 pm

JeremyPaul wrote: oh no! i'm actually hoping to go into tax law! please tell me this isn't based on personal experience within tax?? :
All tax lawyers in Boston are gay. I assume the same is true for other major markets.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:16 am

Cupidity wrote:
D-hops wrote: I'll bet anything a gay guy working in marketing/advertisement at McDonalds is going to be more accepted than someone in tax law at a big firm. So, take those rankings with a grain of salt.
Not a 0L and also, my comment, while hyperbole, was meant to say that HRC scores are not the end-all of how open a firm is going to be of LGBT employees.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:31 am

Settle down, 0Ls.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:33 am

MSPeast wrote:Settle down, 0Ls.
GTFO 0L, wait, this is a Class of 2014 thread, derp.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Not a 0L and also, my comment, while hyperbole, was meant to say that HRC scores are not the end-all of how open a firm is going to be of LGBT employees.
Ok, that is valid. They can be gamed. But law firms are very welcoming, especially in the northeast and california.

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 am

oh my. this group is gettin FIERCE.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:44 am

I think I'm revising my decision to Yale.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm

dot wrote:I think I'm revising my decision to Yale.
dot! <3 We'll miss you at SLS!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”