First Generation College Graduate

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Übermensch

First Generation College Graduate

Postby Übermensch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Does being a first generation college graduate (and first generation high school graduate) give any boost in admissions? I know this doesn't qualify as URM status, but is it a relevant soft factor anywhere?

subtle

Re: First Generation College Graduate

Postby subtle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes, it helps. I don't know that there's a quantifiable boost, but it's something that schools have said they look at favorably.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:25 pm

They said it adds to the "diversity" of the class. Aside from just ethnic diversity, schools seem to give extra consideration to "interesting" people with that sort of background. First in college, first generation American, etc. seems to work in your favor.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:27 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:They said it adds to the "diversity" of the class. Aside from just ethnic diversity, schools seem to give extra consideration to "interesting" people with that sort of background. First in college, first generation American, etc. seems to work in your favor.

What about second generation lawyer and third generation college graduate? Does that help at all? I can't imagine there's many people who go to law school because their parents are lawyers....

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Übermensch wrote:Does being a first generation college graduate (and first generation high school graduate) give any boost in admissions? I know this doesn't qualify as URM status, but is it a relevant soft factor anywhere?

Don't expect for it to be significant or even discernible in any form in your cycle.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:31 pm

OGR3 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:They said it adds to the "diversity" of the class. Aside from just ethnic diversity, schools seem to give extra consideration to "interesting" people with that sort of background. First in college, first generation American, etc. seems to work in your favor.

What about second generation lawyer and third generation college graduate? Does that help at all? I can't imagine there's many people who go to law school because their parents are lawyers....

You're reflecting poorly on the Panther. She put "interesting" in quotes.

Übermensch

Postby Übermensch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:44 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
Übermensch wrote:Does being a first generation college graduate (and first generation high school graduate) give any boost in admissions? I know this doesn't qualify as URM status, but is it a relevant soft factor anywhere?

Don't expect for it to be significant or even discernible in any form in your cycle.

That's what I figured. I am wondering if it, combined with some other factors (Asian immigrant, fluent in five languages, etc.), warrants writing a diversity statement.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Always write a diversity statement if you think you have something to say and it can help you. The aps process is all about highlighting how you're more than your numbers and what besides your numbers you can offer to a class.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:16 pm

I think it can hurt as much as help. In some schools my non-traditional underprivileged first generation clearly helped. In some interviews during my school visits, admission deans asked a lot of questions about that but also, At a couple of schools I could tell it was a huge disqualifier. At one school the dean stated that it was just as important for me to find a school where I fit in as it was for the school to select applicants that they felt in. It was a 3 hour drive home, but when I got their, my status checker had been updated to wait list. Sadly some people view those from difficult backgrounds as substandard law school material. Others recognize the adversity that has been over come and respect you for it.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

TITCR

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Play it up in your applications/personal narrative and maybe it could make a small difference. It's another piece to add to your "admissions puzzle".

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Helps at some schools more than others. Among the T14, Berkeley, Mich, and NYU come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”