Negotiate Scholarship money yet?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
yngblkgifted

Negotiate Scholarship money yet?

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 am

I'm posting this is the URM forum because I wanted to get the general consensus from my fellow URM's who may be in the same position.

I'm an AA male who has received a full tuition scholarship to UVA. I am ecstatic about the opportunity to attend a T10 and graduate with very little debt. This also makes doing public interest law a more viable option for me.

However, I have also been accepted to Penn and upon visiting that school I fell in love with the atmosphere. Once I walked around and talked to a few students it "just felt right" (very cheesy but very true). Also,
Philadelphia > Charlottesville in my opinion. I am still waiting to hear if I qualify for merit from Penn.

I also have yet to hear from all of the T6 schools.But unless I get into HYS (seriously doubt it)...Lower T10 with $$ for me.

My question is:
Should I contact Penn immediately and let them know about my interest in the school and my UVA offer or should I wait. One of my worries is that if I wait too late, money could be gone. But I also can't sound as definitive in my email to Penn as I'd like until I hear back from all of these schools.

Thoughts/Experiences/ Answers?

Firework11

Re: Negotiate Scholarship money yet?

Postby Firework11 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:16 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I'm posting this is the URM forum because I wanted to get the general consensus from my fellow URM's who may be in the same position.

I'm an AA male who has received a full tuition scholarship to UVA. I am ecstatic about the opportunity to attend a T10 and graduate with very little debt. This also makes doing public interest law a more viable option for me.

However, I have also been accepted to Penn and upon visiting that school I fell in love with the atmosphere. Once I walked around and talked to a few students it "just felt right" (very cheesy but very true). Also,
Philadelphia > Charlottesville in my opinion. I am still waiting to hear if I qualify for merit from Penn.

I also have yet to hear from all of the T6 schools.But unless I get into HYS (seriously doubt it)...Lower T10 with $$ for me.

My question is:
Should I contact Penn immediately and let them know about my interest in the school and my UVA offer or should I wait. One of my worries is that if I wait too late, money could be gone. But I also can't sound as definitive in my email to Penn as I'd like until I hear back from all of these schools.

Thoughts/Experiences/ Answers?

First, congrats on the boat to UVA. Penn, all I can say is "wow!" If Penn is where you truly want to attend, I say after the dream school.
I have no experience with the scholarship negotiation--I'm applying for the 2012 cycle. However, have you tried the "Forum Search?" You find something. Anywho, I again and best of luck :D

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks. UVA was the first school I heard from and they will always have a special place in my heart because of that! lol.

I have searched around and it seems to be a mixed response. I've read wait and I've also read people should send negotiation emails ASAP. Just wanted to see what other people (particularly URMs) have been doing this cycle. I'm leaning towards waiting until I hear from other schools. I will be in a better position to weigh my options and to angle my negotiation with Penn. Also, I'm thinking more money will become available as there will be some people with scholarships to Penn that turn it down for HYS. (hopefully!)

Anybody else have any insights?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 am

I am in a similar boat having just received the full scholly from UVA today.

So far with my safeties, I already had told W&M about my full-ride from W&L before I heard from UVA. W&M must be compiling something because I haven't heard back from them. I was thinking money goes out quick so the faster the better with negotiating...

I am also waiting on scholly letter from Duke. As soon as I get the letter, if it is not a full-ride, I will send them notice of my $s at UVA.

Waiting on NYU DLS... hoping the mail wont be delayed in my area. After I see what they offer, then I will make my next negotiation move.

If you are truly interested in the school, my very humble opinion would be to start negotiating as soon as you have comparable offers and obviously the UVA offer is perfect in your case.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:I am in a similar boat having just received the full scholly from UVA today.

So far with my safeties, I already had told W&M about my full-ride from W&L before I heard from UVA. W&M must be compiling something because I haven't heard back from them. I was thinking money goes out quick so the faster the better with negotiating...

I am also waiting on scholly letter from Duke. As soon as I get the letter, if it is not a full-ride, I will send them notice of my $s at UVA.

Waiting on NYU DLS... hoping the mail wont be delayed in my area. After I see what they offer, then I will make my next negotiation move.

If you are truly interested in the school, my very humble opinion would be to start negotiating as soon as you have comparable offers and obviously the UVA offer is perfect in your case.

Congrats on a great cycle so far. If Duke is funny with the money, I say forget 'em and go to UVA ( I'm from VA so I'm a little biased).

I think I am going to negotiate by the end of this week. I guess it can't hurt to do it sooner rather than later. Besides I would like to know where I stand in regards to scholarship money sooner anyway.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:I am in a similar boat having just received the full scholly from UVA today.

Congrats on a great cycle so far. If Duke is funny with the money, I say forget 'em and go to UVA ( I'm from VA so I'm a little biased).

I think I am going to negotiate by the end of this week. I guess it can't hurt to do it sooner rather than later. Besides I would like to know where I stand in regards to scholarship money sooner anyway.

Thanks and congrats to you too!

I would say go for the negotiation now. I don't think the trickle effect will help substantially and many schollys haven't been awarded yet, so better now than later.

Just as an update, I received word from W&M and they only offered me 20k per year which is basically half-OOS-tuition. Probably withdrawing after what is almost a slap in the face (although I didn't tell them about UVA because I had not received that yet).

Still no DL from NYU, info packet from GWU and UVA (the weather is making me be patient)...

Sidenote: I'm going to PM you to ask about your thoughts on Penn (UCR 1/26)

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm not a URM, but I would highly recommend talking to Penn now because their scholarship process happens relatively early, and if you want any time to think about things, now would be the best time to talk. I negotiated scholarship money with them later, in April, but at that point I had to give them a solid answer within 24 hours if I wanted the money. Their financial aid people really responded when I told them how much I loved Penn for its atmosphere. UVA is clearly a peer school, so a full scholly from them + lots of Penn love should= $$$$. Good luck!!

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

I would say go for the negotiation now. I don't think the trickle effect will help substantially and many schollys haven't been awarded yet, so better now than later.

Just as an update, I received word from W&M and they only offered me 20k per year which is basically half-OOS-tuition. Probably withdrawing after what is almost a slap in the face (although I didn't tell them about UVA because I had not received that yet).

Still no DL from NYU, info packet from GWU and UVA (the weather is making me be patient)...

Wow, well there is no reason to worry about W&M with the UVA scholly!
pleasepickme wrote:I'm not a URM, but I would highly recommend talking to Penn now because their scholarship process happens relatively early, and if you want any time to think about things, now would be the best time to talk. I negotiated scholarship money with them later, in April, but at that point I had to give them a solid answer within 24 hours if I wanted the money. Their financial aid people really responded when I told them how much I loved Penn for its atmosphere. UVA is clearly a peer school, so a full scholly from them + lots of Penn love should= $$$$. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice. It's official, I am going to send it out very soon.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

True :D

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

pleasepickme wrote:I'm not a URM, but I would highly recommend talking to Penn now because their scholarship process happens relatively early, and if you want any time to think about things, now would be the best time to talk. I negotiated scholarship money with them later, in April, but at that point I had to give them a solid answer within 24 hours if I wanted the money. Their financial aid people really responded when I told them how much I loved Penn for its atmosphere. UVA is clearly a peer school, so a full scholly from them + lots of Penn love should= $$$$. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice. It's official, I am going to send it out very soon.

How many PTs did you take?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Send your letter to Penn asap. The sooner the better, since the later you get in the cycle, the less money they'll have to give students to entice them to attend.

It would be nice if you had CCN acceptance to leverage with them, but Penn and UVA are peers so hopefully it'll get you more than you have now.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, but I have a related question that's not exactly the same situation. Penn has been my dream school since I started this whole process. I got in, but with my numbers I don't think I can expect much from them outside of whatever need-based aid they give me. I just found out on Wednesday that I'm an AnBryce finalist. If I do get the scholarship, I will only have 3 days to accept/decline the offer. I don't even know that I would turn that down, but if I did it would be for Penn. Obviously I don't know yet if I will get selected, but given the 3 day time line there won't be a lot of time to act if I do get it. So I should let Penn know ASAP, right? That way even if they don't want to make me an additional offer prematurely, they will at least have something prepared for when it is time to move? Or is it bad to try and negotiate with a scholarship that there's only a chance I will get?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:25 pm

law_monkey wrote:Sorry to piggyback on your thread, but I have a related question that's not exactly the same situation. Penn has been my dream school since I started this whole process. I got in, but with my numbers I don't think I can expect much from them outside of whatever need-based aid they give me. I just found out on Wednesday that I'm an AnBryce finalist. If I do get the scholarship, I will only have 3 days to accept/decline the offer. I don't even know that I would turn that down, but if I did it would be for Penn. Obviously I don't know yet if I will get selected, but given the 3 day time line there won't be a lot of time to act if I do get it. So I should let Penn know ASAP, right? That way even if they don't want to make me an additional offer prematurely, they will at least have something prepared for when it is time to move? Or is it bad to try and negotiate with a scholarship that there's only a chance I will get?

If Penn were to offer you substantial amount of money etc, would you be withdrawing from NYU? The thing with Anbryce is that their scholarships are sponsored by law firms. Do you know, if as a scholar, you do get opportunities to network with these firms? If yes, these are the sort of things you should weigh.
Overall though, it might be a good move because if they end up not budging, you have nothing to lose. And if they bite, and you end up not getting the AnBryce, then that's another win. If however, they bite and you get the AnBryce, then you'd have a decision to make.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Moxie wrote:Send your letter to Penn asap. The sooner the better, since the later you get in the cycle, the less money they'll have to give students to entice them to attend.

It would be nice if you had CCN acceptance to leverage with them, but Penn and UVA are peers so hopefully it'll get you more than you have now.

Thanks for the advice. I sent in my Penn letter about a day or two after this thread died, they basically said "We do not have a matching scholarship program (which was strange because I never implied that I thought this in the email), but we will put this on file as we make our decisions." About two weeks ago, I was accepted into Chicago. Should I update them about this? If so, how do propose I go about it?

I really like Penn but the problem is my lowish LSAT. I feel like UVA gave me so much love because of my in-state residency- which I ain't complaining about!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

I would start the process right now. You want to give the schools enough time to make a decision and inform you. That will also give you enough time to re evaluate your thought process and make a decision that works best for you. however, once you start the process, i would not let the school konw of other scholarships until you get an initial response. If they are willing to work- great, if not, then another scholarship wont make them budge.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:22 pm

northwood wrote:I would start the process right now. You want to give the schools enough time to make a decision and inform you. That will also give you enough time to re evaluate your thought process and make a decision that works best for you. however, once you start the process, i would not let the school konw of other scholarships until you get an initial response. If they are willing to work- great, if not, then another scholarship wont make them budge.

!

I thought this was intended for me, makes more sense now. Law_Monkey get your own damn thread!

Jk. Congrats on becoming an AnBryce finalist!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:24 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
northwood wrote:I would start the process right now. You want to give the schools enough time to make a decision and inform you. That will also give you enough time to re evaluate your thought process and make a decision that works best for you. however, once you start the process, i would not let the school konw of other scholarships until you get an initial response. If they are willing to work- great, if not, then another scholarship wont make them budge.

!

I thought this was intended for me, makes more sense now. Law_Monkey get your own damn thread!

Jk. Congrats on becoming an AnBryce finalist!

Haha I love that you GTFO'd me with a monkey! :mrgreen: Anyway, I'm sorry!! Your question was just so relevant to mine haha.

And to the person who told me to take the other benefits into consideration, believe me I already am! At this point I kind of think I'm just going to make it easy and say Penn w/out the AnBryce, NYU if I do get it. But I do still want to see if I can get myself the best deal possible at Penn in case that's where I end up. Thanks for the advice though! That definitely makes sense.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm

It's all good Law_Monkey!
Seriously though, someone answer my question....should I tell Penn I got into Chicago? maybe even tell them about Berkeley?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 pm

I would tell penn about your uva scholarship, and state that while you got into chicago and berkely you would be much happier there. Yo ucan even go so far as to explain why penn is right for you, and why you are right for penn. IF you are dead set on attending penn, maybe mention that its you number one contender, as long as the price is right. Thats where i would talk about the UVA offer and explain that while you love penn, the financial offer from uva is nothing to sneeze at. see how it goes. I would send it out monday morning though to give you the most time to make a decision.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm

northwood wrote:I would tell penn about your uva scholarship, and state that while you got into chicago and berkely you would be much happier there. Yo ucan even go so far as to explain why penn is right for you, and why you are right for penn. IF you are dead set on attending penn, maybe mention that its you number one contender, as long as the price is right. Thats where i would talk about the UVA offer and explain that while you love penn, the financial offer from uva is nothing to sneeze at. see how it goes. I would send it out monday morning though to give you the most time to make a decision.

Well I have already told Penn about UVA about 3 weeks ago. In my original email I told them I really like Penn and would love to go there because blah blah blah, and then I mentioned the UVA scholarship. With that being said, should I send another email an update them about Chicago and Berkeley?

This was their response email to my original message:

"Thank you for keeping us updated as you go through your decision making process. The Admissions Office is in the process of reviewing files for merit scholarships. We do not have a matching policy, but this award will be placed in your file for consideration by our Merit Scholarship Committee. Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made by mid to late March. We are reviewing files as quickly as possible but feel free to contact us if require an update before this time.

We appreciate your continued interest in Penn Law and we will be in contact soon."

What do y'all think I should do?

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:12 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
northwood wrote:I would tell penn about your uva scholarship, and state that while you got into chicago and berkely you would be much happier there. Yo ucan even go so far as to explain why penn is right for you, and why you are right for penn. IF you are dead set on attending penn, maybe mention that its you number one contender, as long as the price is right. Thats where i would talk about the UVA offer and explain that while you love penn, the financial offer from uva is nothing to sneeze at. see how it goes. I would send it out monday morning though to give you the most time to make a decision.

Well I have already told Penn about UVA about 3 weeks ago. In my original email I told them I really like Penn and would love to go there because blah blah blah, and then I mentioned the UVA scholarship. With that being said, should I send another email an update them about Chicago and Berkeley?

This was their response email to my original message:

"Thank you for keeping us updated as you go through your decision making process. The Admissions Office is in the process of reviewing files for merit scholarships. We do not have a matching policy, but this award will be placed in your file for consideration by our Merit Scholarship Committee. Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made by mid to late March. We are reviewing files as quickly as possible but feel free to contact us if require an update before this time.

We appreciate your continued interest in Penn Law and we will be in contact soon."

What do y'all think I should do?

I do not know; however, I believe they will grant you the merit scholarship!

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 am

Decided on a school?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”