Alas, in all likilehood this will not be received kindly. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
johncrow1

New

Alas, in all likilehood this will not be received kindly.

Post by johncrow1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Nonetheless, I have a serious, yet unpleasant question to ask: On average, the black law school aspirant scores 10 points less than their white counter-parts, this is a well documented fact. However, this seems to have no bearing on whether or not that person will be admitted to a given law school. So, why do black students score lower on the LSAT than other races? Furthermore, does this cause any hostility between black and white law students? I'm looking in law school and any insight into this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Alas, in all likilehood this will not be received kindly.

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 pm

johncrow1 wrote:Nonetheless, I have a serious, yet unpleasant question to ask: On average, the black law school aspirant scores 10 points less than their white counter-parts, this is a well documented fact. However, this seems to have no bearing on whether or not that person will be admitted to a given law school. So, why do black students score lower on the LSAT than other races? Furthermore, does this cause any hostility between black and white law students? I'm looking in law school and any insight into this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
IBTLulz

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 pm

More like jimcrow1.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Banned.

joejoe12

New

Seeking some answers.

Post by joejoe12 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm

In all honesty, why don't black students do as well on the LSAT? I realize this is a touchy subject, but I don't think its sensitivity places it beyond the scope of honest and candid discourse. Again, my intentions are not to offend, but to be enlightened. And not that it makes any bit of difference, but I'm a black male at an average college, just saying.

glewz

Silver

Re: Seeking some answers.

Post by glewz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:55 pm

joejoe12 wrote:In all honesty, why don't black students do as well on the LSAT? I realize this is a touchy subject, but I don't think its sensitivity places it beyond the scope of honest and candid discourse. Again, my intentions are not to offend, but to be enlightened. And not that it makes any bit of difference, but I'm a black male at an average college, just saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

Video explanation by ex-LSAC chairperson & UVa prof.

Edit:
The video, "African-Americans, Law Schools and the LSAT, with Professor Alex Johnson" says the following:
- When you compare the African Americans and whites along their corresponding wealth levels, there is a score differential of 1 standard deviation.
- Based on their statistical tests, no question on the LSAT will favor or disadvantage any specific race/ethnicity/sex.
- The LSAT has a strong predictive validity (especially for African Americans) --> poor scorers have poor 1L grades, high scorers have higher 1L grades.

--> No one knows why the score difference exists...not even this LSAC chairperson.
Last edited by glewz on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joejoe12

New

Post by joejoe12 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Yea I've seen this before. Also, I intended to include this in my initial post, but does this lead to hostility/tension etc. between black and white students?

joejoe12

New

Post by joejoe12 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

There are a number of people viewing this thread, you're more than welcome to weigh-in with your opinions, I don't think anyone will take them personally save if they are expressed in an insensitive/pejorative manner.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Nothing good will come of this.

Alex Johnson stated that he has no idea why the score gap exists and he is far more qualified on the subject than anybody on this forum.

People will just post their personal musings without any substantive data to back them up. These musings definitely have the possibility to be tinged with racism, intentional or not, and thus I go back to first point:

Nothing good will come of this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I just banned you.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”