Other Hispanic DS - centroamericano

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
marcellus

Other Hispanic DS - centroamericano

Postby marcellus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 am

Edited. Thanks for the DS advice.
Last edited by marcellus on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Re: Other Hispanic DS - centroamericano

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

It's okay, the problem with it, is you don't show how you are going to bring diversity to the school. We know your family endured hardships, but did you? Talk about hardships you endured in life as being a minority. Are you bilingual? Talk about that. All you did here was give a synopsis of the socioeconomic conditions in El Salvador. I'm not trying to hate, I am "other hispanic" as well and I want to see us have successful cycles. A diversity statement is crucial for us and you have to tie you're culture into your hardships, if you want a "diversity boost".

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yes I am bilingual, but I have not really faced severe hardships due to my race. My extended family has, my parents have, but me? Compared to them, not so much.

Maybe the biggest hardship is that I did not socially fit into the town where I grew up. Everyone else had a different cultural background, different expectations, etc. My peers and friends were going to summer camps when I was going to impoverished rural El Salvador. Their cousins were well-off Americans, mine wore old, dirty clothes and worked in fields from 5am till sunset. My American friends had, and still have, totally different outlooks on life. I did not experience the hard Salvadoran life because my family was lucky to escape.

Do you have any advice on what I could say? My problem is, I personally did not face serious hardships.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 pm

marcellus wrote:Thanks for the advice. Yes I am bilingual, but I have not really faced severe hardships due to my race. My extended family has, my parents have, but me? Compared to them, not so much.

Maybe the biggest hardship is that I did not socially fit into the town where I grew up. Everyone else had a different cultural background, different expectations, etc. My peers and friends were going to summer camps when I was going to impoverished rural El Salvador. Their cousins were well-off Americans, mine wore old, dirty clothes and worked in fields from 5am till sunset. My American friends had, and still have, totally different outlooks on life. I did not experience the hard Salvadoran life because my family was lucky to escape.

Do you have any advice on what I could say? My problem is, I personally did not face serious hardships.

Talk about how you didn't fit in because of your race. This sounds like a perfect topic. Say that going through that helped you become independent and a self starter, or some shit like that.

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Edited. Thanks for the DS help.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”