Diversity Fellowships (Do they really want white gays?) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cupidity

Gold

Diversity Fellowships (Do they really want white gays?)

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Simple question, is it worth my effort? There are still a couple dozen diversity fellowship programs out there whose deadlines have not expired. I know we are included at the end of the laundry list of groups that qualify, "African American, Native American, Hispanic, GLBT" but do any Caucasian homosexuals actually get picked for these programs?

Please let me know if you have, you know someone who has, or if you know 25 qualified homosexuals who applied and all got denied.

A lot of these require lengthy PS sorta documents and I'd rather not waste my time

Cupidity

Gold

Re: Diversity Fellowships (Do they really want white gays?)

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Shameless self-bump to try and get feedback.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Are you talking about fellowships for undergraduates interested in law school or fellowships for law students? I'm kind of confused...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:Are you talking about fellowships for undergraduates interested in law school or fellowships for law students? I'm kind of confused...
Firm fellowships, ie: the Arent Fox Diversity Fellowship. It requires a personal statement and a writing assignment.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Hasn't the deadline for Arent Fox passed?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:17 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Hasn't the deadline for Arent Fox passed?
Y

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:25 pm

MrKappus wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Hasn't the deadline for Arent Fox passed?
Y
I applied on time, and it was time consuming, I probably should have started this thread and done inquiries first.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Kili wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:Are you talking about fellowships for undergraduates interested in law school or fellowships for law students? I'm kind of confused...
Firm fellowships, ie: the Arent Fox Diversity Fellowship. It requires a personal statement and a writing assignment.
Call and Ask. There's really no way to know for certain. They say in the app it has to be a historically underrepresented group and I don't know if LGBT counts for that.
There is no way that they will answer truthfully to that inquiry. Even if there was no way OP would get a fellowship I am sure they would tell him they don't discriminate against white LGBT students in the selection process.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
Kili wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Call and Ask. There's really no way to know for certain. They say in the app it has to be a historically underrepresented group and I don't know if LGBT counts for that.
There is no way that they will answer truthfully to that inquiry. Even if there was no way OP would get a fellowship I am sure they would tell him they don't discriminate against white LGBT students in the selection process.
My problem exactly. Thats why I'm hoping for insight. I know from the profiles of previous winners that Arent Fox and Perkins Coie have selected white GLBT students

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Cupidity wrote:My problem exactly. Thats why I'm hoping for insight. I know from the profiles of previous winners that Arent Fox and Perkins Coie have selected white GLBT students
Do any of these firms have a history with your school? Perhaps someone in your placement office could put in a more discrete and less direct inquiry regarding whether they should advise white GLBT students to apply.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”