30+ Prospective Law Student

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
canuckofchicago

30+ Prospective Law Student

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I am hoping to either start or get involved in a discussion with a non-traditional student(s) regarding law school. Most of the time people talk about doing only Biglaw for whatever reason, but I hoping there are some potential students that are looking at maybe going into the Public Defender's office or working on Wrongful conviction cases, which is where I eventually want to work and want to do.

I will be (hopefully) starting Loyola Law School - Chicago when I am 35, which is 3 years from now. I will also be moving from Toronto to Chicago with my wife (who is from Chicago).

Does anyone think at 38 (when I graduate) is to old for the PD's office or working on Wrongful conviction cases? I have been fully committed in my University/Adult life to researching, writing, presenting on wrongful convictions, and even volunteering at one of the organizations up here that is dedicated to helping those wrongfully imprisoned.

Before anyone says anything I am aware that the pay isn't very high and I will be saddled with debt, etc. I am fully aware of what I am walking into.

As I said before I am looking to start a dialogue with people.

Thanks
Richard aka CanuckofChicago

bk1

Re: 30+ Prospective Law Student

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Just to give you info:

The reason people talk about biglaw so much is mainly twofold: (a) because it is pretty much the best metric we have to compare schools based on job placement power, and (b) because it is one of two ways, the other being LRAP, to get out of 6 figure debt in a reasonable amount of time.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

i'm not savvy enough to link to the thread, but in the choosing a law school board there is a perfect thread for you (and me) - the old school - 30 and over - come on and visit!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Aaaaand just to make it easier for you to follow oldhippie's SAGE advice....
Subject: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Aaaaand just to make it easier for you to follow oldhippie's SAGE advice....
Subject: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

thanks :oops: this old folk isn't all that good at this internet stuff :)

canuckofchicago

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks OldHip and NyGirl. I have moved over to the other discussion.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”