Numbers below medians?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
deltasigbn

Numbers below medians?

Postby deltasigbn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by deltasigbn on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Numbers below medians?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm

No it is not pointless.

URM's get into schools when they are below both medians all the time.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

deltasigbn wrote:Quick question, I'm an URM, black male. Anyways, is it pointless to apply to schools where my numbers fall below the medians?

Some of the schools I am considering applying to my LSAT is 1 or 2 points lower than the median but it still falls within the 25-75 percentile and my gpa is around the 25th percentile.

I have a strong diversity statement and personal statement, as well as an addendum to explain my gpa upward trend.

Fellow AA Male. If you are within 5 points below the LSAT median then feel comfortable in knowing that you actually having a shot at the schools. The URM boost will help you tremendously. Granted you need an excellent leadership/WE history, personal statement, recs, etc.

I cracked the top 25 with below 25% in GPA and LSAT and have received scholarship offers from top 40 schools with the same scenario. People hypothesize that the AA URM boost is between 4-10 pts in the LSAT category. So just hurry up and apply and see what happens. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

Please check out LSN.COM and search AA stats from this year and years past to see how relevant your chances really are. You can indeed get into many of these schools though you are below median. PM'ed you my cycle just as proof. Good luck!

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:25 am

deltasigbn wrote:Quick question, I'm an URM, black male. Anyways, is it pointless to apply to schools where my numbers fall below the medians?

Absolutely not. As an AA male, I was accepted at numerous schools where I was pretty far below medians (LSAT and GPA)

nnnnnn-threadin'

Postby nnnnnn-threadin' » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 am

AA=AfroAmerican
AA=Affirmative Action
AA=Alcoholics Anonymous
AA=AnalAsians

hmmm coincidence?

chup

Postby chup » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 am

nnnnnn-threadin' wrote:AA=AfroAmerican
AA=Affirmative Action
AA=Alcoholics Anonymous
AA=AnalAsians

hmmm coincidence?

Kindly GTFO my internets.

Asshole.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Go for it, especially if you have a fee waiver. The worst that can happen is that you get a no and lose your $12. But AAs often get into schools that other students would be rejected/WL from. If you are at least a consider at a school, your URM status could give you just what you need to get in.

Killer softs can help you out as well. Give them an interesting story and they just might bite.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”