anyone out there in a similar situation?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Jbowman47274

anyone out there in a similar situation?

Postby Jbowman47274 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 pm

hi, I'm 38 years old. I just took the lsat 165\3.7. I'm going to apply next year,i would like to go to IU. I got an a.s. in aviation technology with a commercial pilots license and aircraft mechanic license after after high school, then I went to college and got a b.S. In psychology but never worked in that field. I have been an aircraft avionics mechanic for the past 12 years but my passion has always been law, I just didn't think I could do it back then. now I know that I can. I'm just worried that when schools look at my age and what I've been doing the past 12 years, it might hinder my application. Any words of wisdom?

bk1

Re: anyone out there in a similar situation?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:57 pm

It will probably help your applications more than hinder it.

Jbowman47274

Postby Jbowman47274 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm

bk1 wrote:It will probably help your applications more than hinder it.

Thanks, just when people here mechanic, they don't think intelligence. Although what I do does require quite a bit of intelligence and critical thinking.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks, just when people here mechanic, they don't think intelligence.

You are working on airplanes, not lawnmowers. I think that most admissions personnel will understand that this work requires not only intelligence, but an exacting thoroughness that would be well received in both the study and practice of law.

For what it is worth several years ago I performed some work as part of an IT consulting group at a DC law firm that focused on aeronautics law. At the time it seemed strange to me, but in the years since I came to accept that there are likely issues that come up with the operations or ownership of aircraft that are different then what most people would run into in the course of normal business.

My primary suggestion is to be very careful about your mindset when you are writing your PS or resume. Do not think negatively about the work you have done, so not demean your efforts. You are doing fine work, but you are looking for another challenge. You should be selling yourself and your experience (something that many of your competitors for a seat at a given law school cannot match), it is a strength, be sure to treat it is as such.

Happy Hunting,

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:54 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047

A thread for 30+ year old future law school students and current. Shows you that there are more of you and your aspiration is something that can be accomplished.

Jbowman47274

Postby Jbowman47274 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the great comments

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”