URMs scoring 160 or above

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Just a heads up that I've already forwarded this thread to some URMs not on TLS who have found this information from one URM to another very helpful thus far. A lot of us do not know where to turn let alone how to approach this exam. Your insight is truly helpful and I sincerely appreciate all of your contributions.

User avatar
helloscriptkitti
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:03 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby helloscriptkitti » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 pm

csalguero10 wrote:As an addition to my post here is what I've found was absolutely crucial to maintaining focus and not becoming seriously depressed while studying: WORK OUT. Seriously. Get as much exercise as you possibly can. Whenever my mind would start wandering, I would go outside for a run/swim/lift/whatever and that would immediately make me feel better. Remember your mind isn't at its sharpest if your body feels like crap. Take care of yourself as a whole.


I completely agree. When I first starting studying i completely ditched the gym, thinking that time would be better spent studying instead. This lead to tons of built-up anxiety, headaches and emotional eating (cheeseburgers and cheesecake), which made me feel sluggish. Your mind and body need time to decompress in order to function at peak level. One will not function well without the other.

casterfield
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby casterfield » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

1. What was your initial diagnostic score?I think in the 150s somewhere
2. What was your score on test day? 158 and 171
3. How long did you study for this exam? I didn't study at all for the 158. I guess I assumed I could get a high score without any real prep. For the 171 I studied for a little under 2 months with intense studying the week before the exam.
4. What tools/information/materials/advice did you use in preparing for this exam? I took a prep course because I pretty much lack discipline. In retrospect, I probably could have done as well or better had I just purchased all of the old PTs and kept drilling.
5. Did you take a prep course? If so, which, and was it helpful? Yeah, Princeton Review. My instructor was helpful, but it really depends on your instructor and how he handles his/her class. I was the only one in my course who was shooting for anything over a 160. It's important to have an instructor who can cater to students shooting for different scores.
6. If it is one suggestion you would give on how to ace the LSAT, what is it?
Well, I didn't ace it, but I would say just be honest with yourself. The first time I lied to myself and thought I could get a high score. The second time I made sure to highlight any guesses and wrong answers and went over them until I understood why I got them wrong. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't see a big improvement in the first few weeks. 2 weeks before the October 2010 test, I was still scoring around a 159.

ETA: I'm a Mexican-American male, if that helps?

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:14 pm

1. What was your initial diagnostic score? 160
2. What was your score on test day? 161 then 170
3. How long did you study for this exam? started in April/May 2010, pretty much went until December 2010 until I took it the 2nd time. There was a period after the October test when I didn't study, which was about 5 weeks.
4. What tools/information/materials/advice did you use in preparing for this exam? LR and LG Powerscore Bible and Old Tests
5. Did you take a prep course? If so, which, and was it helpful? No
6. If it is one suggestion you would give on how to ace the LSAT, what is it? Review every wrong answer and understand why you got it wrong. For LGs start out doing them UNTIMED, don't worry about speed at all

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Review every wrong answer and understand why you got it wrong. For LGs start out doing them UNTIMED, don't worry about speed at all


When should we start worrying about speed and working under timed conditions?

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 pm

I couldn't answer that because I kind of went backwards...i worried about speed on LGs first and then during my second round of studying after October I focused on concepts.

I would say that whenever the person feels comfortable with the LG concepts only then start worrying about time...

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:To be honest, I don't see why a URM would prepare any differently than a non-URM. Any advice given here has probably been reiterated in the LSAT Prep Forum.


And neither have I suggested such, however, this thread can be used as a source of guidance and encouragement for URMs who often seek advice from other URMs on how to ace this exam. There is a URM sub-forum for a reason, is there not? If we (URMs) can have threads for guidance on law school admission we can certainly have the same for LSAT preparation. Studying for and doing well on the LSAT continues to be a stumbling block for the majority of us. Having an outlet in which we can come together and share our insight on LSAT preparation will prove beneficial.

Moreover, we seldom hear of URMs scoring well. This thread will also serve such a purpose. Do you care to add?

Thank you.


You are correct that there is a sub-forum for law school admissions because, as evinced by the non-negligible difference between URM and non-URM LSAT/GPA combos, the URM Application threads are there to encourage URMs to apply to schools that they would not ordinarily apply if based on numbers alone. This therefore, warrants a sub-forum as it advances TLS' goal as an informational resource for all applicants. However, LSAT preparation is a pretty universal thing. URM scores tend to be lower due to educational and social disadvantages that plague the minority community i.e. factors that can't be ameliorated by differences in LSAT preparation. It could be that URMs tend to be less informed, and it is reasonable to think so, but this argument hardly lends any credence to any tangible difference in actual preparation as soon as this initial informational barrier is lifted. I see no reason why URMs can't follow Pithypike's guide, or take a LSAT Prep course (if adequate resources are available), and still do their best on the LSAT. We don't reach our target scores like non-URMs and we retake like non-URMs. The LSAT is a stumbling block for the majority of all those who take the LSAT; the 170+ scores running rampant on TLS are hardly representative of the LSAT testing population. I just think this provides another avenue to needlessly separate "us" from "them." There is nothing I've read in this thread that I have yet to find in the LSAT Prep Forum.

We don't hear of many URMs scoring well because (1) well, it's kinda obvious isn't it? We're a minority to begin with, so you can't expect too much in terms of raw numbers, and (2) not everyone that scores in the 95%ile (or whatever you think "scoring well" means) posts it on TLS.

That being said, I freely handed out personal LSAT study guides and tips last cycle and I'm more than willing to continue to do so this cycle. People told me they found them very helpful. If anyone is interested, please PM their email address.

Good luck with the LSAT prep! :)

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:15 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:It could be that URMs tend to be less informed


They generally are.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:but this argument hardly lends any credence to any tangible difference in actual preparation as soon as this initial informational barrier is lifted. I see no reason why URMs can't follow Pithypike's guide, or take a LSAT Prep course (if adequate resources are available), and still do their best on the LSAT. We don't reach our target scores like non-URMs and we retake like non-URMs. The LSAT is a stumbling block for the majority of all those who take the LSAT; the 170+ scores running rampant on TLS are hardly representative of the LSAT testing population. I just think this provides another avenue to needlessly separate "us" from "them." There is nothing I've read in this thread that I have yet to find in the LSAT Prep Forum.


Interestingly enough, at least in my experience and for those within my social circles, we first come to US for advice on studying for exams such as the LSATs because there is still the general opinion that our experience -- be that studying for the LSATs or preparing for the admission cycle -- is different to that of THEM. Moreover, there is still a level of distrust towards THEM when it comes to seeking advice in entering higher education. Not that we cannot use the same tools provided to study for the LSATs, however, this thread serves the purpose of contextualizing the experience of minorities who have studied for and done well in acing the LSATs.

I do not see the problem with creating this thread and how it somehow "needlessly separate "us" from "them" ".

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:We don't hear of many URMs scoring well because (1) well, it's kinda obvious isn't it? We're a minority to begin with, so you can't expect too much in terms of raw numbers, and (2) not everyone that scores in the 95%ile (or whatever you think "scoring well" means) posts it on TLS.


You're missing the point. This thread serves as a way to hear from minorities who score well, even if they are a minority within a minority. Instead of seeking out such, their experiences can be heard and shared in one locale. I and others look forward to hearing other first-hand experiences of what worked and did not work for US in preparing for this exam.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:It could be that URMs tend to be less informed


They generally are.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:but this argument hardly lends any credence to any tangible difference in actual preparation as soon as this initial informational barrier is lifted. I see no reason why URMs can't follow Pithypike's guide, or take a LSAT Prep course (if adequate resources are available), and still do their best on the LSAT. We don't reach our target scores like non-URMs and we retake like non-URMs. The LSAT is a stumbling block for the majority of all those who take the LSAT; the 170+ scores running rampant on TLS are hardly representative of the LSAT testing population. I just think this provides another avenue to needlessly separate "us" from "them." There is nothing I've read in this thread that I have yet to find in the LSAT Prep Forum.


Interestingly enough, at least in my experience and for those within my social circles, we first come to US for advice on studying for exams such as the LSATs because there is still the general opinion that our experience -- be that studying for the LSATs or preparing for the admission cycle -- is different to that of THEM. Moreover, there is still a level of distrust towards THEM when it comes to seeking higher education. Not that we cannot use the same tools provided to study for the LSATs, however, this thread serves the purpose of contextualizing the experience of minorities who have studied for and done well in acing the LSATs.

I do not see the problem with creating this thread and how it somehow "needlessly separate "us" from "them" ".


Well that was my opinion. I will stand by it. Also, nothing you said corroborates the notion that URMs ACTUALLY prepare differently than non-URMs. Personal anecdotes can only go so far. By the way, I find it a little ironic that you say your intention isn't to to separate "us" from "them" when you feel the need to capitalize THEM and then refer to THEM in way that comes across as a little hostile. But again, that is my opinion. It's immaterial whether you agree or not.

EbonyEsq wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:We don't hear of many URMs scoring well because (1) well, it's kinda obvious isn't it? We're a minority to begin with, so you can't expect too much in terms of raw numbers, and (2) not everyone that scores in the 95%ile (or whatever you think "scoring well" means) posts it on TLS.


You're missing the point. This thread serves as a way to hear from minorities who score well, even if they are a minority within a minority. Instead of seeking out such, their experiences can be heard and shared in one locale. I and others look forward to hearing other first-hand experiences of what worked and did not work for US in preparing for this exam.


Um, this argument is a bit of a non sequitur. I also love the "US." This is a response to your comment:

EbonyEsq wrote:Moreover, we seldom hear of URMs scoring well. This thread will also serve such a purpose.


I just gave the reasons why we don't hear of many high-scoring URMs; I never questioned your purpose. Although I'm quite certain that just by browsing through the URM Application 2009-2010/2010-2011 threads, you'll see high-scoring URMs and their successful cycles. My only issue is that this thread perpetuates a false assumption: that URMs need to prepare differently as compared to non-URMs.

But hey, do you, honey. Do you. I'm just saying.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm not going to continue arguing with you and derail the purpose of this thread.

A good day to you, boo.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:39 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:I'm not going to continue arguing with you and derail the purpose of this thread.

A good day to you, boo.


Feel free to PM me if you have anything more to say.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Nah, no PM is necessary but I'll add this last bit:

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:My only issue is that this thread perpetuates a false assumption: that URMs need to prepare differently as compared to non-URMs.


This makes no sense.

Then why the need for CLEO? For People of Color? TRIALS? SEO?

There are valid reasons as to why these programs are around and the same also applies for professional degrees outside law.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:52 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:Nah, no PM is necessary but I'll add this last bit:

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:My only issue is that this thread perpetuates a false assumption: that URMs need to prepare differently as compared to non-URMs.


This makes no sense.

Then why the need for CLEO? For People of Color? TRIALS? SEO?

There are valid reasons as to why these programs are around and the same also applies for professional degrees outside law.


And guess what these reasons are:

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: URM scores tend to be lower due to educational and social disadvantages that plague the minority community i.e. factors that can't be ameliorated by differences in LSAT preparation.


Also, SEO is not targeted to LSAT prep at all. People are accepted into that program after they've received their law school acceptances and decided upon a school. I don't know too much about these other programs to comment on them, but since you're so adamant, I ask you, what exactly is it in any of these aforementioned programs that is significantly different in terms of teaching and LSAT preparation as compared to "non-URM initiatives?" Don't give me "fostering a community." I mean the actual preparation techniques and skills.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I don't know too much about these other programs to comment on them


Not in the least bit surprised.

Why don't you go do your research on those programs before attempting to challenge me?

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:but since you're so adamant, I ask you, what exactly is it in any of these aforementioned programs that is significantly different in terms of teaching and LSAT preparation as compared to "non-URM initiatives?" Don't give me "fostering a community." I mean the actual preparation techniques and skills.


Image

...at your caveat.

From your post I can already deduce you have not the slightest clue of how "educational...disadvantages plague underprivileged minorities" to the point where the LSATs and other standardized exams magnifies this educational deficiency. Some educators have even argued it [LSAT] is biased against these groups. Organizations like the above work in breaking down these barriers by first helping applicants realize that the test is nothing to fear and that it is conquerable. Fear and the belief that one is not capable of scoring well are major factors in many URMs inability to score well. That, and just poor reading skills. Through several initiatives, of which I'm sure you'll research, many of the above programs alongside others are there to help provide preparation techniques that one cannot get by simply reading Pithy Pike's guide to scoring a 160+ :roll:

But that isn't the purpose of the thread, now is it? As was initially stated, the purpose is to bring together minority URMs to hear THEIR experiences on how THEY aced the exam. Now unless you wish to also add to this thread on how you conqured the LSAT...then yeah...you know what needs doing.


MOST Respectfully,

Ebony02

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 pm

This thread just got real jiggy real fast.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I couldn't answer that because I kind of went backwards...i worried about speed on LGs first and then during my second round of studying after October I focused on concepts.

I would say that whenever the person feels comfortable with the LG concepts only then start worrying about time...


Thanks. I've also started my studies with timing my sections and drills, but I'll consider your advice above on first getting the concepts down before timing myself.

Question, are timers no longer allowed on test day?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 pm

RJ127 wrote:This thread just got real jiggy real fast.


Getting jiggy with it....:mrgreen:

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 pm

1. What was your initial diagnostic score? I never took a diagnostic test.
2. What was your score on test day? 174
3. How long did you study for this exam? Two years. I was working full-time (overtime as well). I was also taking some graduate courses during that period, so it wasn't intense studying for the entire two years, but I was teaching MCAT and LSAT, so in a sense, I was prepping at work.
4. What tools/information/materials/advice did you use in preparing for this exam? Princeton Review Hyperlearning materials, Princeton Review trainers and instructors, TLS. I also think some of my hobbies contribute to my aptitude for standardized tests. I read a lot of nonfiction in my spare time. I also enjoy playing strategy games like chess and Words with Friends. I was a jazz saxophone player for about 20 years, playing little gigs here and there, so I think that helped me develop poise and deal with test anxiety. I'm sure other competitive activities like sports have similar effects.
5. Did you take a prep course? If so, which, and was it helpful? No, I would never pay for a test prep class.
6. If it is one suggestion you would give on how to ace the LSAT, what is it? That's a tough one. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I guess my advice would be to focus on your weaknesses. And when you're evaluating your weaknesses, think beyond the LSAT. For instance, someone above mentioned working out. If fitness is a weakness of yours, this is a good time to work on that, especially because fitness can help you concentrate and prepare for the LSAT. If you're overusing cigarettes or alcohol, that can affect your concentration on test day. Eating healthy might be a problem. Also, focus on your weaknesses on the test. Don't be afraid to study games or RC because it's hard. That's what makes it fun. It wouldn't even be worth doing if it was easy.

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 pm

RJ127 wrote:This thread just got real jiggy real fast.


Image

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I don't know too much about these other programs to comment on them


Not in the least bit surprised.

Why don't you go do your research on those programs before attempting to challenge me?


The irony is again, delicious. At least I acknowledge that I don't know everything about these programs, when you stand by and include SEO as an argument for differences in LSAT preparation; a program that has nothing to do with LSAT prep. What was that about research? Because I didn't know I asked you. Unlike you, I'm secure enough to acknowledge my ignorance when its due.

EbonyEsq wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:but since you're so adamant, I ask you, what exactly is it in any of these aforementioned programs that is significantly different in terms of teaching and LSAT preparation as compared to "non-URM initiatives?" Don't give me "fostering a community." I mean the actual preparation techniques and skills.


From your post I can already deduce you have not the slightest clue of how "educational...disadvantages plague underprivileged minorities" to the point where the LSATs and other standardized exams magnifies this educational deficiency. Some educators have even argued it [LSAT] is biased against these groups. Organizations like the above work in breaking down these barriers by first helping applicants realize that the test is nothing to fear and that it is conquerable. Fear and the belief that one is not capable of scoring well are major factors in many URMs inability to score well. That, and just poor reading skills. Through several initiatives, of which I'm sure you'll research, many of the above programs alongside others are there to help provide preparation techniques that one cannot get by simply reading Pithy Pike's guide to scoring a 160+ :roll:


From this one post, huh? You're new here. If you knew anything about my post history (which is readily available) you would know to not make such ridiculous conclusions. Yes, I know it's biased against these groups. In the sense the educational and social disadvantages are the primary problem, not LSAT prep. You seem to be conflating the two issues here. The poor reading skills are the related to the former, not necessarily to the latter. And one can just as easily argue that all LSAT prep organizations help applicants realize that the test is nothing to fear and its conquerable. This is not exclusive to URMs. My point about Pithypike's guide was that it has helped many a URM reach their target score, including me. Not that this was sufficient, but that it certainly helped. But in terms of actual techniques and skills, again, you have said nothing to counter my main point: that a URM should prepare the same way as a non-URM. Anything that held weight in your argument was purely psychological and I think we can agree, LSAT prep is much more than just knowing you can ace the test. You can use all the cute WTF gifs you want, but you're still avoiding my main point.

EbonyEsq wrote:But that isn't the purpose of the thread


I'm gonna need you to start reading.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: I never questioned your purpose...My only issue is that this thread perpetuates a false assumption: that URMs need to prepare differently as compared to non-URMs.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:But that isn't the purpose of the thread


I'm gonna need you to start reading.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: I never questioned your purpose...My only issue is that this thread perpetuates a false assumption: that URMs need to prepare differently as compared to non-URMs.


Gaia, I'm going to back you on this one--I just want to say, law school is about diverse groups learning to see eye to eye, not highlighting their differences. I got this far because I worked my butt off, like everybody else who got in the 170s. I want to prep like someone who wants to go to law school, not like a URM.

To anybody taking, regardless of their heritage or socioeconomic status, good luck!

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:1. What was your initial diagnostic score? I never took a diagnostic test.
2. What was your score on test day? 174
3. How long did you study for this exam? Two years. I was working full-time (overtime as well). I was also taking some graduate courses during that period, so it wasn't intense studying for the entire two years, but I was teaching MCAT and LSAT, so in a sense, I was prepping at work.
4. What tools/information/materials/advice did you use in preparing for this exam? Princeton Review Hyperlearning materials, Princeton Review trainers and instructors, TLS. I also think some of my hobbies contribute to my aptitude for standardized tests. I read a lot of nonfiction in my spare time. I also enjoy playing strategy games like chess and Words with Friends. I was a jazz saxophone player for about 20 years, playing little gigs here and there, so I think that helped me develop poise and deal with test anxiety. I'm sure other competitive activities like sports have similar effects.
5. Did you take a prep course? If so, which, and was it helpful? No, I would never pay for a test prep class.
6. If it is one suggestion you would give on how to ace the LSAT, what is it? That's a tough one. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I guess my advice would be to focus on your weaknesses. And when you're evaluating your weaknesses, think beyond the LSAT. For instance, someone above mentioned working out. If fitness is a weakness of yours, this is a good time to work on that, especially because fitness can help you concentrate and prepare for the LSAT. If you're overusing cigarettes or alcohol, that can affect your concentration on test day. Eating healthy might be a problem. Also, focus on your weaknesses on the test. Don't be afraid to study games or RC because it's hard. That's what makes it fun. It wouldn't even be worth doing if it was easy.


Thanks for your contribution. As a point of inquiry, I believe I read you decided against going to law school. Please correct me if I'm wrong here but if not, any particular reason as to why?

Also, how is eating healthy a possible problem?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Ehh, like GtC, I really dont like the spirit of this thread but...

One key thing about the LSAT is that b/c of the massive number of questions released you can accomplish speed through simple pattern recognition. Basically, within a given type of question (must be true, flaw in reasoning, games, etc.) the time limitations and the rigidity of the need for absolutely credited choices means majority of the questions must be of a certain limited length and structure. Simply organizing specific types of questions and drilling through them should help you recognize many of the patterns. Make note of the patterns/structures as you proceed until recognizing them becomes second nature. Like another poster said, you should start LG untimed and while untimed make as many inferences as possible on your main diagram. Again, because of the sheer number of games you can use this to make note of types of inferences that commonly show up (i.e. the games that say things like "no car can be next to a bus" usually have very common inferences). Making note of these and recognizing them allows you to speed up game setups and easily move through subsequent questions.

Doing this allows you to immediately know the key things about the different type of questions. For instance, you will know what the common flaws are for flaw in reasoning questions. You can blast through well more than half of the LR/LG questions with the help of pattern recognition. This allows you more time for the questions that come up with new, or rarely used structures. I really believe that this is key in consistently scoring over 170.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm

tkgrrett wrote:One key thing about the LSAT is that b/c of the massive number of questions released you can accomplish speed through simple pattern recognition. Basically, within a given type of question (must be true, flaw in reasoning, games, etc.) the time limitations and the rigidity of the need for absolutely credited choices means majority of the questions must be of a certain limited length and structure. Simply organizing specific types of questions and drilling through them should help you recognize many of the patterns. Make note of the patterns/structures as you proceed until recognizing them becomes second nature. Like another poster said, you should start LG untimed and while untimed make as many inferences as possible on your main diagram. Again, because of the sheer number of games you can use this to make note of types of inferences that commonly show up (i.e. the games that say things like "no car can be next to a bus" usually have very common inferences). Making note of these and recognizing them allows you to speed up game setups and easily move through subsequent questions.

Doing this allows you to immediately know the key things about the different type of questions. For instance, you will know what the common flaws are for flaw in reasoning questions. You can blast through well more than half of the LR/LG questions with the help of pattern recognition. This allows you more time for the questions that come up with new, or rarely used structures. I really believe that this is key in consistently scoring over 170.


Thanks for this. As far as organizing by question or game type, did you use Cambridge LSAT for this or did you organize on your own?

User avatar
1evilo.aihpos
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 am

Re: URMs scoring 160 or above

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:35 pm

178
How did I prepare differently as a AA: I aknowledged the fact that soceity perpectuates the stereotype that blacks are not as smart as whites, then I got over it. :wink:

Gaia, hi, i'm a huge fan.


What applies to everyone: Bibles LR X2 with notes, Bible LG once, practice makes perfect REA logic games, went through twice. As many PT as possible. Month before the test one PT five minute break then another 4 sections. (You will have so much endurance you will do a pt after the actual :mrgreen: ) For LR write down why each answer choice is wrong or right for a couple tests.

edit' oh yeah, Vitimain Water and the night before the exam a nice bath and a steak.

edit; drive out of town to take the test, spend the night at a hotel alone and relax.

edit: if you run out of pts then do them again, faster.
Last edited by 1evilo.aihpos on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests