LSP Accuracy for URM Splitters?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
csalguero10

LSP Accuracy for URM Splitters?

Postby csalguero10 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Just wondering if anyone knew how accurate LSP is for an URM extreme splitter. With my stats (2.8/179) it only denies me from HYS and Boalt. CCN are all strong consider/consider and all of the other T14s are Accept. Based on reading these forums a bit, i feel that this is an extremely optimistic result, and I just don't want to waste money applying to some of these schools.

Fresh

Re: LSP Accuracy for URM Splitters?

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm

It's really inaccurate. Use LSN and anecdotal evidence, not LSP if you're a splitter, especially a URM splitter.

csalguero10

Postby csalguero10 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Fresh wrote:It's really inaccurate. Use LSN and anecdotal evidence, not LSP if you're a splitter, especially a URM splitter.

Damn. This is exactly what I was fearing, auto-accept to most of T-14 seemed too good to be true.

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I would think you stand a good shot and most of the T-14 two questions
How long out of undergrad?
Can you write a good reason for the low GPA?
this will help clarify some the situation

csalguero10

Postby csalguero10 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:29 am

serdog wrote:I would think you stand a good shot and most of the T-14 two questions
How long out of undergrad?
Can you write a good reason for the low GPA?
this will help clarify some the situation

Graduated in May 2010, currently working at a Non-Profit public policy evaluation company. Not gonna make anything up for GPA, basically I fucked around freshmen and sophomore year, which severely screwed me. I also didn't really consider law school until senior year, and then it was too late to switch majors or significantly improve my GPA. Since I'm waiting for next cycle anyways I might retake LSAT in June and try to get a 180, although I'm not sure that will help too much.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:37 am

I would invest in the money in applying to all the T14. The money you save not doing so versus the payoff of getting in tilts in favor of doing so, in my mind. And it's not as if you don't have any chance at all with that LSAT.

I give LSP a hard time based on my experience using it as a URM. But in this instance, I doubt there are enough URM's with that heavy of a split between their LSAT and GPA for it to be accurate.

As if it's ever that accurate for URMs

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”