Mexican with Learning Disability Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sailerar

New

Mexican with Learning Disability

Post by sailerar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 am

I am half Mexican from VA and I also have a documented learning disability. I understand that I will be considered a URM, but how much does a learning disability help or hurt me? When applying, I submitted an LSAT addendum/disability documentation supplementary piece written by my psychologist (with an intro I wrote) which basically stated I was denied necessary accommodations for LSAT testing. Will this make any difference? If anyone has a general idea of which schools I'd likely get into, here is a giant list of schools I am considering, as well as my #S.

LSAT: 153
GPA: 3.54

Wisconsin
Marquette
WVU
Santa Clara
Denver
Syracuse
Gonzaga
Kansas
Miami
South Carolina
George Mason
George Washington
W&L
Catholic
Michigan St
Wake Forest
UNC

chuckfinley

New

Re: Mexican with Learning Disability

Post by chuckfinley » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:43 pm

It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do to advocate for your learning needs. I cannot comment on any of the schools you are applying to, but I can tell you that you need to add Vermont Law School to your list. I have never come across a higher education institution that is so sensitive about creating a level playing field for students with educational and other disabilities. Beyond that, it is just a really friendly place.

manchild84

New

Re: Mexican with Learning Disability

Post by manchild84 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:46 pm

This is a topic that should be addressed for under-represented students like you. A law student in my family has a learning disability with similar LSAT and GPA, and the student is at a T20, but was accepted at a law school in the T14. The student has ADHD and was not given an accommodation for the LSAT, however, the law school did give the student an accommodation and presently the student is in the top 10-20 % of the class. The notion that needing an accommodation translates into an average to mediocre student is incorrect. I do not know for certain; however, these types of disabilities among students from under-represented monority populations may be more prevalent because the students are unlikely to receive or even know to seek the help needed when they are young.

Since some of the learning disabilities are inherited and many students do not know they have ADHD or a similar disorder, the student proceeds through life as hard working with poor standardized test scores.

The University of California Law Schools are familiar with these disabilities, at least UCLA, Davis, Hastings,and also the University of Southern California. There may be others on your list that are familiar with these types of students. I believe that Duke University is also familiar with student with certain learning disabilities.

Good luck with your applications.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”