Splitter, Need Advice

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bdump
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 am

Splitter, Need Advice

Postby bdump » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 am

Asked this in the other forum, but didn't get too much help and figured that I'd be able to get better answers in here.

3.0x gpa, 171 lsat, AA male. I think I'll end up with a strong PS, but I'm not as confident in either of my LOR. I had some pt work experience in undergrad, but nothing really out of the ordinary. Graduated last year and have been working PT since then, but other than some socio-economic factors working in my favor, I still think my softs are below average.

I'm really just trying to get some outside perspective on which schools I should realistically consider. I'd prefer to stay on the west coast, but would consider schools in other parts of the country as long as it would still be feasible for me to move back west and find work.

Also, would I be better off waiting until the next cycle, or is it still worth a shot to apply within the next couple of weeks and see what happens?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Splitter, Need Advice

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 pm

bdump wrote:Asked this in the other forum, but didn't get too much help and figured that I'd be able to get better answers in here.

3.0x gpa, 171 lsat, AA male. I think I'll end up with a strong PS, but I'm not as confident in either of my LOR. I had some pt work experience in undergrad, but nothing really out of the ordinary. Graduated last year and have been working PT since then, but other than some socio-economic factors working in my favor, I still think my softs are below average.

I'm really just trying to get some outside perspective on which schools I should realistically consider. I'd prefer to stay on the west coast, but would consider schools in other parts of the country as long as it would still be feasible for me to move back west and find work.

Also, would I be better off waiting until the next cycle, or is it still worth a shot to apply within the next couple of weeks and see what happens?

Thanks in advance.


If I were you I would blanket the T14 (especially 4-14). You will probably hit on some school. If you do apply this year and don't get the results you want, then make sure you have substantive changes to your application by next cycle. This could be stronger letters and better work experience (full time definitely).

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Splitter, Need Advice

Postby haus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 am

As long as you are not dead set on a specific school, I think that you may well be pleasantly surprised by the options that you will have. Apply to the schools that you are interested in, see what happens. Worst case scenario you decide that you do not like the hand that you are dealt and you sit out the cycle and make another run next year.

Happy Hunting,




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests