Need Advice

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tooswolle

Need Advice

Postby tooswolle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 am

So I decided to wait a cycle since I feel it's too late in the cycle to apply this year. I posted earlier and didn't really get much advice on where to apply so I'm updating my question with my new stats. After a 4.0 semester my lsac gpa went up to a 3.3 gpa and my degree gpa is 3.6. I have a 158 LSAT and am a male urm who grew up socio-economically disadvantaged. I have six years work experience and a number of solid softs. Retake is an option but I really don't want to go through that process again. I'm also open to going to school anywhere as long as I have a reasonable shot to land a good paying job. Thanks for the help in advance.
Last edited by tooswolle on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrownBears09

Re: Need Advice

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 am

tooswolle wrote:So I decided to wait a cycle since it's I feel it's too late in the cycle to apply this year. I posted earlier and didn't really get much advice on where to apply so I'm updating my question with my new stats. After a 4.0 semester my lsac gpa went up to a 3.3 gpa and my degree gpa is 3.6. I have a 158 LSAT and am a male urm who grew up socio-economically disadvantaged. I have six years work experience and a number of solid softs. Retake is an option but I really don't want to go through that process again. Thanks for the help in advance.

Use the search function, lawschoolnumbers.com, and lawschoolpredictor.com.

Best school where you want to practice. Don't go in planning to transfer. Blah blah blah.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:45 am

where are you looking to practice/live? with those numbers, you will want to consider applying semi-regionally at least. after you pick a region, use your numbers as a guide (giving a cushion on the LSAT for URM status).

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 am

I'm from california so I wouldn't mind staying here. LSP puts me at consider for UC Davis and Strong consider and admit respectively at chapman and mcgeorge. But alot of people on here have scared the crap out of me that I want to try to go to the highest ranked school out there. So it really doesn't matter where I go as long as I can land a good job or take out less money in loans.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 am

Have you looked into Hasting's LEOP program? That seems like it might be a good fit. Hastings is regarded as a pretty solid school in Cali.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:46 am

Yea I've looked at Hastings and it is a very good school. When I apply next cycle it will definitely be on my list. However I am terribly scared of the rising costs of the UC's ideally I'd like to limit my debt as most as possible and have good job prospects. If anything what should be the range of schools I should apply to given being a urm male?

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Any body else have any advice on what schools I have a chance at? Or anyone have good experiences with the same numbers?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”