Am I URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
adjudicator79

Am I URM?

Postby adjudicator79 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

I have heard many differing opinions on whether Vietnamese people are considered as URMs. I would think that South Asians would be considered but I am not sure.

Do any of you know some schools that may be more friendly towards South Asians or Vietnamese that might consider my application as a URM?

bk1

Re: Am I URM?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

No.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

bk1 wrote:No.

stintez

Postby stintez » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

call lsac or some of the law schools your applying to and ask. I was told no on tls I am centeral american my father is from Belize. However every school I asked said YES I am URM.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 pm

stintez wrote:call lsac or some of the law schools your applying to and ask. I was told no on tls I am centeral american my father is from Belize. However every school I asked said YES I am URM.

This seems suspect. There is no "official URM" or anything like that. They were probably saying that yes you are a minority, not that you were a URM.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm

No. AA's, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans.

stintez

Postby stintez » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
stintez wrote:call lsac or some of the law schools your applying to and ask. I was told no on tls I am centeral american my father is from Belize. However every school I asked said YES I am URM.

This seems suspect. There is no "official URM" or anything like that. They were probably saying that yes you are a minority, not that you were a URM.

Touche I meant they said yes I am a minority. However, my brother went to Notre Dame and he said it seemed like being hispanic helped him get in. So maybe were not URM but it seems to have still helped.

adjudicator79

Postby adjudicator79 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 pm

stintez wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Touche I meant they said yes I am a minority. However, my brother went to Notre Dame and he said it seemed like being hispanic helped him get in. So maybe were not URM but it seems to have still helped.

what were his numbers?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:01 pm

stintez wrote:Touche I meant they said yes I am a minority. However, my brother went to Notre Dame and he said it seemed like being hispanic helped him get in. So maybe were not URM but it seems to have still helped.

Of course you are a minority, you don't need to call LSAC or the schools to figure that out.

Other Hispanics (i.e. not Mexican/Puerto Rican) sometimes get small bumps depending on the school, but not nearly as large as a normal URM bump. Asians of any sort are not going to be getting even a small bump.

stintez

Postby stintez » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm

adjudicator79 wrote:
stintez wrote:
bk1 wrote:

what were his numbers?

I dont remember it was 5 years ago when he graduated. I know he graduated from Dartmouth with honors and got a 161 on his lsat which is low for that school. He did not even get in until a few weeks before classes started. Now he works at a small law firm in NYC.

stintez

Postby stintez » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
stintez wrote:Touche I meant they said yes I am a minority. However, my brother went to Notre Dame and he said it seemed like being hispanic helped him get in. So maybe were not URM but it seems to have still helped.

Of course you are a minority, you don't need to call LSAC or the schools to figure that out.

Other Hispanics (i.e. not Mexican/Puerto Rican) sometimes get small bumps depending on the school, but not nearly as large as a normal URM bump. Asians of any sort are not going to be getting even a small bump.

hmmm guess you learn something everyday.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”