Financing Question regarding URM status Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
daburrel

New

Financing Question regarding URM status

Post by daburrel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:51 pm

I know I got alot of "retakes" and such comments of that nature. However, I am not looking for Tier 1 or Tier 2 schools because it's not that important to me. What is important to me is a great city (Miami, New York or New Orleans because I am from New Orleans already).

The schools I am considering are:
Loyola of New Orleans
LSU
Tulane (because of Waiver)
St. Thomas of Florida
FIU
Barry University
New York Law School

If I can get into LSU, in-state tuition make it very reasonable. Loyola is private so the cost is the cost. If I can get into Loyola I would be willing to pay sticker because Cost of Living will not be a problem because I can stay home.

My question to you guys are, if I can get into any of the schools outside of Louisiana, what are the chances of me getting ANY money or even at FIU get out of state tuition waived? My numbers are not the greatest with a 151/2.7 but Barry and St. Thomas two schools I like are not the greatest either and I actually compete there. Does URM brings any opportunities for MONEY at any schools or only for acceptance? Also, what are some of the financing Grants, etc that are out there for URM's, especially AA Males?

SupraVln180

Silver

Re: Financing Question regarding URM status

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I know you want "great cities", but you will not get a job from any of these schools and alot of the schools in "great cities" are also the most expensive. Just retake and you might be able to get into some regional schools in "great cities" that may be worth going to.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I know you want "great cities", but you will not get a job from any of these schools and alot of the schools in "great cities" are also the most expensive. Just retake and you might be able to get into some regional schools in "great cities" that may be worth going to.
Eh, I won't jump to those kind of conclusions. I don't have a lot of information on TTT schools and their associated costs. I'd need to know what the actual costs are for OP and what his career goals are. If financially he'd be comfortable making around 35k, he may want to seriously consider it.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I know you want "great cities", but you will not get a job from any of these schools and alot of the schools in "great cities" are also the most expensive. Just retake and you might be able to get into some regional schools in "great cities" that may be worth going to.
Eh, I won't jump to those kind of conclusions. I don't have a lot of information on TTT schools and their associated costs. I'd need to know what the actual costs are for OP and what his career goals are. If financially he'd be comfortable making around 35k, he may want to seriously consider it.
Well I was specifically referring to NYLS, it is a horrendous school and I think it is also the most expensive law school in NY. It is never worth going to, unless your family has dough to blow on a mediocre legal education. You have to remember these "great cities" OP is referring to are all places with high COL, I guess with the exception of bad areas in New Orleans. OP has to retake.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Well my goals are not to get a 100K job out of school. I plan on using my Degree to practice within my family, my brother will be getting a J.D. from a T1 school soon. We have plans to start our own firm (im a Business major). I wanted to just know my possibility for Money at any schools and what are the financing options and benefits for URM's.

Only was I will retake is if I get into no schools or only high priced one's with no money. I understand the COL in these cities but that's not something I am worried about, I will be okay on that front.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:45 pm

St. Thomas gave me 14k...which is like BS

Then I did my research and realized I would never go to that school. But yeah, URM status and all.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 pm

daburrel wrote:Well my goals are not to get a 100K job out of school. I plan on using my Degree to practice within my family, my brother will be getting a J.D. from a T1 school soon. We have plans to start our own firm (im a Business major). I wanted to just know my possibility for Money at any schools and what are the financing options and benefits for URM's.

Only was I will retake is if I get into no schools or only high priced one's with no money. I understand the COL in these cities but that's not something I am worried about, I will be okay on that front.
When you first said you had plans to practice within your own family I was thinking "Oh cool, his family has an established small firm." Then I read the rest of your post and went :|

So far you have not said anything that convinces me this is a good idea for you under any circumstances. The legal market is absolutely saturated right now. Are you both planning on working on your own from the get go? Why do you think you'd be successful? Experience means a lot. If you plan on working for someone else to gain experience, what kind of research have you done on job opportunities for the schools you're looking at? Don't accept anything a school tells you, look at sources outside of the school. Someone trying to sell you something is not the best source for information.

Edit: You didn't ask my advice about that shit. Your original question was about money and scholarships. You would be better off asking the school directly what scholarships they have for AAs. However, in general, if you score about the 75th for a school, you have a good chance at a scholly if they offer them. I don't know that TTT's offer a lot of scholarships. For outside scholarships, you're probably going to get blown away by somene whose going to a better school with better numbers.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Drake014 wrote:For outside scholarships, you're probably going to get blown away by somene whose going to a better school with better numbers.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 am

Last edited by Mrs. Jack Donaghy on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 am

Drake014 wrote:
daburrel wrote:Well my goals are not to get a 100K job out of school. I plan on using my Degree to practice within my family, my brother will be getting a J.D. from a T1 school soon. We have plans to start our own firm (im a Business major). I wanted to just know my possibility for Money at any schools and what are the financing options and benefits for URM's.

When you first said you had plans to practice within your own family I was thinking "Oh cool, his family has an established small firm." Then I read the rest of your post and went :|

So far you have not said anything that convinces me this is a good idea for you under any circumstances. The legal market is absolutely saturated right now. Are you both planning on working on your own from the get go? Why do you think you'd be successful? Experience means a lot. If you plan on working for someone else to gain experience, what kind of research have you done on job opportunities for the schools you're looking at? Don't accept anything a school tells you, look at sources outside of the school. Someone trying to sell you something is not the best source for information.

Edit: You didn't ask my advice about that shit. Your original question was about money and scholarships. You would be better off asking the school directly what scholarships they have for AAs. However, in general, if you score about the 75th for a school, you have a good chance at a scholly if they offer them. I don't know that TTT's offer a lot of scholarships. For outside scholarships, you're probably going to get blown away by somene whose going to a better school with better numbers.
I expect these type of answers when I say what schools I plan to attend. I had my mind set already before anything that Loyola and NYLS (if I can get in Free) would be my top choices. I understand the prospects you guys are mentioning but like I said before Johnny Cochran went to Loyola LA when they were not a T1 or T2 school and I am sure he heard the same things. I know if I get the degree I am a good enough business man to use it wisely. If it doesn't work out in the best (like you guys wanna continue to predict) then OK, that's why I want the least amount of debt as possible.

You guys are so certain that your plan will work and debt issue, etc.....BUT billing many hours trying to work at BIGlaw can also turn you off Law so what if that's you guys reality who don't get money from Top Schools, and find out Law isn't for you once you get into the BIGlaw world? I feel you guys would be much worse off than me, I am okay with the decision I will be making, if I don't get best opportunity YES, I will retake in June, but if I can get into a school I am comfortable with, im going for it!

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am

I expect these type of answers when I say what schools I plan to attend. I had my mind set already before anything that Loyola and NYLS (if I can get in Free) would be my top choices. I understand the prospects you guys are mentioning but like I said before Johnny Cochran went to Loyola LA when they were not a T1 or T2 school and I am sure he heard the same things. I know if I get the degree I am a good enough business man to use it wisely. If it doesn't work out in the best (like you guys wanna continue to predict) then OK, that's why I want the least amount of debt as possible.

You guys are so certain that your plan will work and debt issue, etc.....BUT billing many hours trying to work at BIGlaw can also turn you off Law so what if that's you guys reality who don't get money from Top Schools, and find out Law isn't for you once you get into the BIGlaw world? I feel you guys would be much worse off than me, I am okay with the decision I will be making, if I don't get best opportunity YES, I will retake in June, but if I can get into a school I am comfortable with, im going for it!
tbh, predicting scholarships based on URM status is not easy. You are better off contacting the school or seeing how things play out.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks, I was just wondering if there were any secrets out there I should be aware of. Once I see what schools I can get into, I will begin to ask.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 am

It's idiotic to say someone will not get a job from LSU or Loyola...

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 am

govorett wrote:

tbh, predicting scholarships based on URM status is not easy. You are better off contacting the school or seeing how things play out.
I agree. Your low gpa doesnt help anything either. I say if you get in anywhere it's without money. Just my opinion though...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 am

If you want to go to a school in Florida, I suggest UF or FSU. Everything else is either ranked through the floor or too expensive to matter. Some are both.

If I had to choose between Barry or FIU.. It'd be FIU as I'm already here and it's dirt cheap. There were 2 firms I believe at OCI, too. That's two more than Barry IIRC!

Seriously, you're not getting a job through OCI in FIU or Barry. If considering St. Thomas, you'll also want to consider Stetson.

Stay away from Coastal, Ave Maria, ehh... and anything else on the west coast of Florida for that matter.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

Only issue with FIU is im not a In-Stater so my tuition won't be dirt cheap anyway. I am looking at them very seriously now but I just saw they require 3 LOR's and I only have 2. While I can get another, I just think by the time LSAC process it, it will be too late. Stetson has sent me a fee-waiver too so they will get a application from me but not sure my chances.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 am

A couple more things: Where are you planning to start this practice with your brother? If it's in Louisiana you'd be best served going to school in the state.

Also, have you considered Southern at all? You've made it clear that price, not prestige or the quality of job options available to grads is your top concern. I think Southern is something like $8,000 a year...

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 am

Yup, but Southern would be my complete last option. Prestige isn't my major concern for sure. I plan to relocate to Miami or New York in my future so as my brother especially being that he is sitting on a GPA of 3.5 and pretesting at 165 so his school options are much more open, even though he wants to attend Loyola New Orleans as well.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 am

daburrel wrote:Yup, but Southern would be my complete last option. Prestige isn't my major concern for sure. I plan to relocate to Miami or New York in my future so as my brother especially being that he is sitting on a GPA of 3.5 and pretesting at 165 so his school options are much more open, even though he wants to attend Loyola New Orleans as well.
If he has a 3.5 and gets a 165 + AA....he does not need to go to Loyola, honestly.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 am

daburrel wrote:Yup, but Southern would be my complete last option. Prestige isn't my major concern for sure. I plan to relocate to Miami or New York in my future so as my brother especially being that he is sitting on a GPA of 3.5 and pretesting at 165 so his school options are much more open, even though he wants to attend Loyola New Orleans as well.
Why is Southern your last option? Seems incredibly unwise to discount the school that will cost the least considering every thing else you've said in this thread...

If you ever plan to practice in the state of Florida, you should go there for law school imo. You absolutely have to take the Florida bar if you want to practice there, no exceptions. Might as well go to school there and build connections. The NY thing is more of a pipe dream imo, but I've avoided touching that subject so far and will continue to do so. Don't go to any of the schools that fit your numbers in NY. You will not get a scholarship that offsets the cost in any meaningful way.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 am

Why he want to go to Loyola, IDK!

Why is Southern my last option? Because I feel they are a safe bet with me. I know I can get in at Southern. New York being a pipe dream, I think not. I have watched American Greed stories of just random foreigners come into New York and with one way ticket turn it into Millions, with a SCAM. I feel with my ambition and business mind, I can do alot of things in New York, Miami or Louisiana (my hometown), without any SCAMS only with my plans. Law is something I am going to school for NO DOUBT but it's alot of other things I plan to do with it. I didn't plan to go to undergrad for Business Degree just to go work at some one else company. I understand the traditional paths, but traditional is the safe way and I am by no means a safe way out guy, I know my plans so if I fail at least its MY choice and not some other people telling me what's best for ME when they haven't done it yet. Until you do exactly what I did and succeed, you can never tell me WHAT TO DO, only WHAT NOT TO DO, and that's not specifically targeted to anyone, but it is to say that I have a plan, I am not acting irrational. I am not looking for the traditional way of doing things, I will be okay.

Obama passed on a 160K job coming out of Harvard, everyone said he was stupid, IM SURE! However, he had a plan and look at him now. Maybe he got extra benefits from going to Harvard on his path of his plan but what he did didn't require any T1 school.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 am

OP, I know a URM female that had a 3.44 and a 149 got $4,000 less than a full ride at Loyola New Orleans this past cycle (she started fall of 2010). If money is an issue, Loyola is almost famous for the comparatively little debt its graduates have. However, scholarships are contingent on a 2.5 and I am not aware of what the curve is for the school.

OP, don't try to convince people that you know what you are doing. They will tell you you're crazy, uninformed, ignorant, stupid, foolish, etc. If you know what you want and you are aware of the possible outcomes, go for it. However, you should do your best to keep your costs down. If you are already living in New Orleans, shoot for Tulane and Loyola (and LSU/Southern). Note that it is possible to get a full ride plus stipend with a gpa above 3.0 and an LSAT of 150 or greater at Southern.

Let me know if you have any questions about Louisiana schools or Tulane in a PM.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP, I know a URM female that had a 3.44 and a 149 got $4,000 less than a full ride at Loyola New Orleans this past cycle (she started fall of 2010). If money is an issue, Loyola is almost famous for the comparatively little debt its graduates have. However, scholarships are contingent on a 2.5 and I am not aware of what the curve is for the school.

OP, don't try to convince people that you know what you are doing. They will tell you you're crazy, uninformed, ignorant, stupid, foolish, etc. If you know what you want and you are aware of the possible outcomes, go for it. However, you should do your best to keep your costs down. If you are already living in New Orleans, shoot for Tulane and Loyola (and LSU/Southern). Note that it is possible to get a full ride plus stipend with a gpa above 3.0 and an LSAT of 150 or greater at Southern.

Let me know if you have any questions about Louisiana schools or Tulane in a PM.
Appreciate the info. I do know that me sitting here attempting to explain my self is a waste of time. I also am fully aware of the lady you made mention to, if you are talking of the lady from LSN. My first choice is Loyola New Orleans completely and if no money comes from any school outside of Louisiana, I will be in Louisiana. I just inquired about schools in Florida & NY but it was specifically to wonder about finance information. I said it quite some times that if debt is going to be too much, even at Loyola I will consider retaking but if not, I don't feel the need to retake.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Your biggest hurdle is the low gpa. That said, admissions for URM's are still really unpredictable. I think you've gotten all the beneficial advice that's possible here at this point. All you can do now is apply and see what happens.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 pm

correct, thank you guys

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”