How are minorities viewed when it comes to hiring?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Al Capwned

How are minorities viewed when it comes to hiring?

Postby Al Capwned » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm an african american law student at a Top 40 school. I received two of my three grades thus far and both have been B's. The median at my school I believe is a B+. I'm hoping that I receive a higher grade on my final exam.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disgusted with my grades so far. I put in the time. I followed many of the people's advice on this forum (Arrow, Megatron, etc) and my grades have not been what I expected. I feel liked I studied hard and smart throughout the entire semester. Outlined early, reviewed practice exams with a study group, etc.

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for advice on how I should be feeling or expecting right now. Should I wait to be overly concerned until I get my final grade? Hope to do better next semester? If I can be at median after next semester is that an okay place to be for a minority? Does being a minority even matter? :oops:

Thanks for the advice.

dissonance1848

Re: How are minorities viewed when it comes to hiring?

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Being URM in OCI is like URM for admissions: huge boost. If you look at the OCI thread results, you will see URMS below median doing better than non-URM 50-65% class rank. Be aggressive in looking for SA positions, but know you have a considerable cushion.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Being URM in OCI is like URM for admissions: huge boost. If you look at the OCI thread results, you will see URMS below median doing better than non-URM 50-65% class rank. Be aggressive in looking for SA positions, but know you have a considerable cushion.

It has a serious limit. For one I really think it applies more to URMs with average to above average grades. If you're average or better you will be viewed as being more desirable than your Caucasian counterparts. However, if you're at the bottom, it doesn't seem to have the same sort of impact. Do whatever you can to do better next term.

Al Capwned

Postby Al Capwned » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:11 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Being URM in OCI is like URM for admissions: huge boost. If you look at the OCI thread results, you will see URMS below median doing better than non-URM 50-65% class rank. Be aggressive in looking for SA positions, but know you have a considerable cushion.

I hope this is accurate.

I do plan on doing better next semester. I'm not sure what I can change though in all honesty. I'll have to meet with professors to see what I did wrong. :|

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 pm

My grades were from one extreme to the other, I don't have a clue what I did wrong (besides in LRW), but the things I did for my best classes I will duplicate. The things I did in my lowest classes that I will eliminate.

Being black will have an impact regardless of grades, the key is getting out there and networking NOW. IMO, networking is going to get you your dream job, not your grades!

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:52 pm

From what I can tell its a big bonus with regard to getting a job with firms as a 1L. I've seen a number of firms that have special programs for 1Ls restricted to URMs. I don't know beyond that.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 pm

This is true of URM's in the top 14 or better. Maybe even sometimes in the top 25. Generally though (meaning at schools that are not t14/25), it follows more with what BruceWayne said. You'll need to be hovering very close to median if you want a shot at a job. Being at the bottom of your class or significantly below median will yield you the same results as your non urm classmates at these schools.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Right, there is not boost at a T40 school for URM. Very few students at such a school will even get BIGLAW. Most will be gunning for midlevel firms if even that, and the majority will go to small to midsize firms. These firms are less concerned with having URMs on the roster because they dont have large corporate clients.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:25 am

Al Capwned wrote:I'm an african american law student at a Top 40 school. I received two of my three grades thus far and both have been B's. The median at my school I believe is a B+. I'm hoping that I receive a higher grade on my final exam.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disgusted with my grades so far. I put in the time. I followed many of the people's advice on this forum (Arrow, Megatron, etc) and my grades have not been what I expected. I feel liked I studied hard and smart throughout the entire semester. Outlined early, reviewed practice exams with a study group, etc.

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for advice on how I should be feeling or expecting right now. Should I wait to be overly concerned until I get my final grade? Hope to do better next semester? If I can be at median after next semester is that an okay place to be for a minority? Does being a minority even matter? :oops:

Thanks for the advice.

In this legal market, all bets are off. I won't even rely on AA and URM status to get through doors, especially if not attending a T10. Work your butt off next semester to get to at least median and let the chips fall where they may.

Just don't graduate at the bottom half of your class.

Al Capwned wrote:I followed many of the people's advice on this forum (Arrow, Megatron, etc) and my grades have not been what I expected.

@ the bolded... :| :|.

Sometimes I feel law school, just like real life, isn't so much about studying or working hard. It's about playing the game and knowing how the game is played. Do not solely rely on "other people's advice" to get you where you need to be.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 am

Al Capwned wrote:I'm an african american law student at a Top 40 school. I received two of my three grades thus far and both have been B's. The median at my school I believe is a B+. I'm hoping that I receive a higher grade on my final exam.

Thanks for the advice.

depends on work experience, how well you interview, etc.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 am

Drake014 wrote:I talked to a close friend whose on the student's admission committee. She told me that she'd opt for the one that doesn't mention human trafficking. She'd read that you went to an off-limits bar, resigned before being disciplined, and that was the end of it. To her, whose never been in the military, that would sound like a reasonable explanation and she wouldn't assume something was missing.

edit: she also wants to add this is just her opinion and they may vary.

Huh ????

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 am

EbonyEsq wrote:
Drake014 wrote:I talked to a close friend whose on the student's admission committee. She told me that she'd opt for the one that doesn't mention human trafficking. She'd read that you went to an off-limits bar, resigned before being disciplined, and that was the end of it. To her, whose never been in the military, that would sound like a reasonable explanation and she wouldn't assume something was missing.

edit: she also wants to add this is just her opinion and they may vary.

Huh ????

My thoughts exactly

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 am

Probably was meant for that other thread about the military addendum

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:18 am

glacierfrost wrote:Probably was meant for that other thread about the military addendum

This is definitely right.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:11 am

Mustard Blood wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Probably was meant for that other thread about the military addendum

This is definitely right.

Shhhh... you're ruining the mystery of him quoting a quote that can't be found anywhere in this thread.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I've worked in corporate America. NO ONE will give a damn that you are a minority and you will get no HIRING BOOST. You will be judged by your gpa, your interviewing skills, and how well you dress. If you Welcome to America. God bless.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the advice.

There is a boost. There are unemployed African Americans at my T14 with not abysmal grades.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Al Capwned wrote:Needless to say, I'm pretty disgusted with my grades so far. I put in the time. I followed many of the people's advice on this forum (Arrow, Megatron, etc) and my grades have not been what I expected. I feel liked I studied hard and smart throughout the entire semester. Outlined early, reviewed practice exams with a study group, etc.

Law school is curved. Everybody was trying hard. Nobody is willing to accept this until grades come back but there it is.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm

You just said they are uNEMPLOYED african americans...Where's that BOOST you talking about?!

Where's the boost?!!! 4% of lawyers are black?! Where IS THE BOOST?!!! Trust. Corporate America doesn't give a damn about that.

dink3500

Postby dink3500 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 am

sparty99 wrote:You just said they are uNEMPLOYED african americans...Where's that BOOST you talking about?!

Where's the boost?!!! 4% of lawyers are black?! Where IS THE BOOST?!!! Trust. Corporate America doesn't give a damn about that.

This is inaccurate, there are 4% of black lawyers, yes. But, this is correlated with the amount of AA that actual attend law school. AA make up 7.5 % of law students this why they make up such a small percentage.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”