Checking both black and white boxes Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
URMdan

Bronze

Checking both black and white boxes

Post by URMdan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 pm

If someone is half black, half white, then should they check both AA and Caucasian boxes? Will checking white hurt the overall numerical diversity that I would contribute to a school? Or is checking both AA and Caucasian the same as checking AA?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Not sure how you should respond, because that's a personal decision that's entirely up to you. I hazard a guess that if you check the AA box, whatever school you're applying to will only report you as AA. Diversity numbers, ftw.

This topic has been covered up, down, left and right on TLS. Do a forum search for the threads to give you a better idea of how others on TLS have handled this decision and the factors they used to make it. GL!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:29 pm

If you're black and white then check black and white. Why is this even a question?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm

bk187 wrote:Image

If you're black and white then check black and white. Why is this even a question?
+1. Wanted to post something like this myself, but I need to up my "helpful post" count and knew I could come back and "+1" someone else. TYVM

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm

bk187 wrote:Image

Because the question asks how I identify as, GAL,L.

patrickd139 wrote:Do a forum search for the threads to give you a better idea of how others on TLS have handled this decision and the factors they used to make it. GL!

Search was not working for me

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm

URMdan wrote:If someone is half black, half white, then should they check both AA and Caucasian boxes? Will checking white hurt the overall numerical diversity that I would contribute to a school? Or is checking both AA and Caucasian the same as checking AA?
I believe you will be counted as AA either way. I personally only checked AA, but I do not think it matters. Good luck on your cycle!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

As I said, check what you are.

As for how schools will see you, you will get the same URM bump as somebody who only checked AA.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”