Checking both black and white boxes

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Checking both black and white boxes

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 pm

If someone is half black, half white, then should they check both AA and Caucasian boxes? Will checking white hurt the overall numerical diversity that I would contribute to a school? Or is checking both AA and Caucasian the same as checking AA?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Not sure how you should respond, because that's a personal decision that's entirely up to you. I hazard a guess that if you check the AA box, whatever school you're applying to will only report you as AA. Diversity numbers, ftw.

This topic has been covered up, down, left and right on TLS. Do a forum search for the threads to give you a better idea of how others on TLS have handled this decision and the factors they used to make it. GL!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Image

If you're black and white then check black and white. Why is this even a question?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm

bk1 wrote:Image

If you're black and white then check black and white. Why is this even a question?

+1. Wanted to post something like this myself, but I need to up my "helpful post" count and knew I could come back and "+1" someone else. TYVM

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm

bk1 wrote:Image

If you're black and white then check black and white. Why is this even a question?



Because the question asks how I identify as, GAL,L.


patrickd139 wrote:Do a forum search for the threads to give you a better idea of how others on TLS have handled this decision and the factors they used to make it. GL!



Search was not working for me

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby timmna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm

URMdan wrote:If someone is half black, half white, then should they check both AA and Caucasian boxes? Will checking white hurt the overall numerical diversity that I would contribute to a school? Or is checking both AA and Caucasian the same as checking AA?


I believe you will be counted as AA either way. I personally only checked AA, but I do not think it matters. Good luck on your cycle!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Checking both black and white boxes

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

As I said, check what you are.

As for how schools will see you, you will get the same URM bump as somebody who only checked AA.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests