Columbia or NYU Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
maize315

New

Columbia or NYU

Post by maize315 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:38 pm

I am interested in working in the New york area. Any chances I can get into either Columbia law or NYU?

Gpa 3.25 in Political Science. LSDAS 3.4
LSAT 165
Tier 1 school

merichard87

Silver

Re: Columbia or NYU

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 am

Do you have any work experience or nice softs or anything? Your LSAT is great for URM but I think you would need some nice soft factors for you to be comfortable assuming admission.

maize315

New

Post by maize315 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm

I do. Work as a youth Pastor for about seven years.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

There are definitely 3.4/165 students at both schools. Does being a youth pastor for seven years mean you're not coming right out of undergrad? The further away from the 3.4 you get, the less it will matter.

Definitely worth applying to both, though you'll have better luck waiting and applying early next cycle. And, the URM you are will make some difference in your bump.

When you get into both, choose Columbia. :wink:

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm

For URMs, does WE hold more weight at CLS or NYU?

maize315

New

Post by maize315 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 am

I am coming straight out of undergrad. Late bloomer. Old man by law school standards.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 am

What happened to your earlier posted LSAT score of 176 ? Was that from a practice test ?

maize315

New

Post by maize315 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes. Did it twice! I am considering taking it again to get at least 170.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 pm

maize315 wrote:Yes. Did it twice! I am considering taking it again to get at least 170.
A retake that got you a 170 would make you a lock at CLS. I hesitate to be as definite about NYU because I think they still average (they did as of 2 cycles ago). Even then, I bet a 167.5 average would still do it.

I will stress the importance of getting your app in early in the cycle one more time. If that means waiting a year it may be worth it to you. You can never be too careful in this job market. The difference between going to NYU/CLS and a school a few notches lower makes more of a difference than it used to.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. Out of curiosity, what kind of URM are you? Feel free to pm if you're not comfortable posting that here.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:32 pm

RJ127 wrote:For URMs, does WE hold more weight at CLS or NYU?
It's a good soft to have no matter what the school, especially so if its WE in corp America.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:34 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
maize315 wrote:Yes. Did it twice! I am considering taking it again to get at least 170.
A retake that got you a 170 would make you a lock at CLS. I hesitate to be as definite about NYU because I think they still average (they did as of 2 cycles ago). Even then, I bet a 167.5 average would still do it.

I will stress the importance of getting your app in early in the cycle one more time. If that means waiting a year it may be worth it to you. You can never be too careful in this job market. The difference between going to NYU/CLS and a school a few notches lower makes more of a difference than it used to.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. Out of curiosity, what kind of URM are you? Feel free to pm if you're not comfortable posting that here.
Just to confirm, is sending apps out before Thanksgiving break considered "early"?

NYCcops

New

Post by NYCcops » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

3.5 GPA and a 165 on the october LSAT (awaiting december) and both of my parents are legacy of NYU law school.

What are my chances of applying to nyu and columbia with these numbers?

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:45 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:

Just to confirm, is sending apps out before Thanksgiving break considered "early"?
Yes. Sept-Oct = super early. November - Thanksgiving break = early. Before Christmas = On time. Anything after is considered late, by TLS standards that is.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:45 pm

NYCcops wrote:3.5 GPA and a 165 on the october LSAT (awaiting december) and both of my parents are legacy of NYU law school.

What are my chances of applying to nyu and columbia with these numbers?
Are you applying this cycle or early next cycle?

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Yes. Sept-Oct = super early. November - Thanksgiving break = early. Before Christmas = On time. Anything after is considered late, by TLS standards that is.
I agree with this with a small caveat. Speaking only for Columbia here because I don't know about NYU admissions.

But, I interact with admissions at CLS a lot. One day we were talking about my app. I didn't hear back until mid-April. The Dean of Admissions told me it was because I applied "late." My app went in Dec. 17th (I think, it was a couple cycles ago--but, definitely before Christmas).

An, 3.5 165 as an URM gives you a good chance at both. Obviously, double legacy at NYU increases your chances.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
I agree with this with a small caveat. Speaking only for Columbia here because I don't know about NYU admissions.

But, I interact with admissions at CLS a lot. One day we were talking about my app. I didn't hear back until mid-April. The Dean of Admissions told me it was because I applied "late." My app went in Dec. 17th (I think, it was a couple cycles ago--but, definitely before Christmas).

An, 3.5 165 as an URM gives you a good chance at both. Obviously, double legacy at NYU increases your chances.
Oh nice. Do you go to CLS now? Well do me a favor, interact with CLS and tell 'em to let me in!

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm

RJ127 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Oh nice. Do you go to CLS now? Well do me a favor, interact with CLS and tell 'em to let me in!
I do and I will. I'll walk right over and say "Let RJ127 in." That should get you to the top of the pile!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I do and I will. I'll walk right over and say "Let RJ127 in." That should get you to the top of the pile!
Perfect. And for your trouble, I'll send you a copy of Bone Storm for Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Your choice.

maize315

New

Post by maize315 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 am

@thrillhouse, African-American male.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:53 am

maize315 wrote:@thrillhouse, African-American male.
Definitely apply. I think you'll get in. Happy to show you are CLS if you visit.

maize315

New

Post by maize315 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

That would be fantastic!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”