AA Male need some help :-(

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
daburrel

AA Male need some help :-(

Postby daburrel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Okay, so I don't know my LSDAS GPA yet, kinda got caught with late in the cycle due to horrible October LSAT. I told myself I won't even bother getting CAS or anything until I get my December scores back, which I am sure in the high 150's or low 160's. My mid-terms was around the October LSAT and I have 4 test from Wednesday night Thursday night (week before LSAT).

My question is this: I am feeling much more confident about my December scores that my transcripts are already probably in LSAC office, one already processed. I have a LOR already on file, just found out that my "supposed to be reliable" LOR hasn't sent it out yet but should be sent today or tomorrow (don't know if I believe it).

I have a 2.7 GPA at my University and im sure it should be same with LSDAS (public school 4.0 system) but I am thinking I have at least a 155 (minimum, damn LG) but my top choices are New York Law School and Loyola New Orleans....should I even try to apply after December scores release (hopefully my 2nd LOR is in) or should I wait to next cycle?

On another note: My Personal Statement is giving me problems, I have a few stories I wanna go with (especially Hurricane Katrina since I'm from New Orleans my senior yr in HS) but I am having problems on exactly how I can attack it without writing a novel. Any tips or ideas.

jgloster

Re: AA Male need some help :-(

Postby jgloster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 pm

daburrel wrote:Okay, so I don't know my LSDAS GPA yet, kinda got caught with late in the cycle due to horrible October LSAT. I told myself I won't even bother getting CAS or anything until I get my December scores back, which I am sure in the high 150's or low 160's. My mid-terms was around the October LSAT and I have 4 test from Wednesday night Thursday night (week before LSAT).

My question is this: I am feeling much more confident about my December scores that my transcripts are already probably in LSAC office, one already processed. I have a LOR already on file, just found out that my "supposed to be reliable" LOR hasn't sent it out yet but should be sent today or tomorrow (don't know if I believe it).

I have a 2.7 GPA at my University and im sure it should be same with LSDAS (public school 4.0 system) but I am thinking I have at least a 155 (minimum, damn LG) but my top choices are New York Law School and Loyola New Orleans....should I even try to apply after December scores release (hopefully my 2nd LOR is in) or should I wait to next cycle?

On another note: My Personal Statement is giving me problems, I have a few stories I wanna go with (especially Hurricane Katrina since I'm from New Orleans my senior yr in HS) but I am having problems on exactly how I can attack it without writing a novel. Any tips or ideas.

WHy not apply this year? And if you don't get in where you want to go, take a year off and just apply again next cycle

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 pm

What about Howard?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Also Tulane if you have ties to New Orleans and want to practice in Louisiana. I think applying this cycle makes sense. PM if you want to talk about the personal statement.

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the insight. I will give this cycle a try, I just thought it was maybe too late since alot of people are getting accepted but I have to realize that TLS is for the elite applicants which is far from my competition (at this point). Tulane seem so far out of the scope but I will apply there and LSU and Howard but NYLS and Loyola New Orleans is my main choices. ksimon2007 (PM on way)

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:57 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Also Tulane if you have ties to New Orleans and want to practice in Louisiana. I think applying this cycle makes sense. PM if you want to talk about the personal statement.

While yall are looking over personal statements I just posted one of mine a few mins ago, take a look if you want.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:56 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Also Tulane if you have ties to New Orleans and want to practice in Louisiana. I think applying this cycle makes sense. PM if you want to talk about the personal statement.

+1. Send it over if you need a fresh pair of eyes. Best of luck to you, sir.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”