URM HYS applicants 2011

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Fresh

Re: URM HYS applicants 2011

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm

csalguero10 wrote:Just wondering what you guys think about GPA vs. LSAT for HYS and CCN? I'm currently applying next cycle, but I would be doing so with a 2.8/179. Is it even worth spending money on applying or should I stick to the lower T14s? Does it matter that my UG major was engineering at a top program (Cornell)?

Honestly HYS seem to weigh heavily on GPA, especially for URMs. It would likewise probably be very difficult to get CCN, but some T14s will most likely bite.

dot

Postby dot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
TatNurner wrote:TK, a few posts back you said you would pick Harvard over a CCN full ride, perhaps I missed it, but I'm curious as to your reasoning for this one? Harvard is nice, but is it that good, esp if biglaw is end goal and Columbia and NYU can do the same for cheaper?

(This is not a challenge about your decision making btw, just general curiousity).

No problem. First, it is probably best for me to define "goal" as I write it. When I say goal, what I mean is the "worst" outcome that I would find satisfactory. I dont mean to use it as a synonym for dream. Its kind of like saying you want to get a certain grade in a class. Of course you would be happy with doing better, but you arent going to be upset unless you do worse. Ideally I would prefer to have a fed. clerkship(and eventually academia.. this would be my dream situation), environmental PI, or even transition into in-house work. Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables that go into all of those (high-grades, relationship situation, luck, etc.). I really dont feel comfortable saying those are my "goal" under the definition I gave.

In the end, I think going to HLS gives me a good chance of meeting the baseline "goal" while also giving me a very good shot at the other options if everything falls in place. In addition, I prefer non-NYC markets so that kind of takes the edge off of Columbia and NYU a bit. I also have to take into account that my decision is likely to be 25-29k grant vs. ~45k scholly rather than sticker vs. ~45k.

Dont get me wrong. If I had CCN full vs. HLS I would definitely give it a long thought. Im not anywhere near 100% sure I would turn it down. But this is pretty much how I would reason my way through it.

I really don't think Harvard is your best bet for environmental PI. That's the path I am on and I have found almost no reason to go to Harvard (didn't even apply there). For environmental PI, I think S, NYU, and obviously Yale would be a much better decision (or Berkeley). But if you're going for academia, I suppose, you're good at H. A Yale acceptance (did you apply?) would be
the best for your goals by leaps and bounds

csalguero10

Postby csalguero10 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Fresh wrote:
csalguero10 wrote:Just wondering what you guys think about GPA vs. LSAT for HYS and CCN? I'm currently applying next cycle, but I would be doing so with a 2.8/179. Is it even worth spending money on applying or should I stick to the lower T14s? Does it matter that my UG major was engineering at a top program (Cornell)?

Honestly HYS seem to weigh heavily on GPA, especially for URMs. It would likewise probably be very difficult to get CCN, but some T14s will most likely bite.

What about strong upward trend? In both semesters senior year I got a 3.5+. Also I really cannot figure out GPA by major, its just so easy to get a 4.0 in history or something and these schools are saying its comparable to a 4.0 in engineering? Every liberal arts class I've ever taken I've gotten an A+ in.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm

csalguero10 wrote:
What about strong upward trend? In both semesters senior year I got a 3.5+. Also I really cannot figure out GPA by major, its just so easy to get a 4.0 in history or something and these schools are saying its comparable to a 4.0 in engineering? Every liberal arts class I've ever taken I've gotten an A+ in.

I agree that it's weird that they weigh an engineering degree and a liberal arts GPA similarly if the engineering grades are on a different curve than the liberal arts grades. Some schools might value an engineering GPA slightly more. But keep in mind that engineering courses are probably not a great measure of the core skills required for law school success (compare your course-work to the LSAT). Upward trends are also beneficial, but it appears that it's only slightly helpful

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Wait, so is ones major G.P.A. considered right along their cumulative GPA? This is something I haven't considered much....

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”