URM HYS applicants 2011 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
booby87

Bronze

Re: URM HYS applicants 2011

Post by booby87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

booby87 wrote:
well you're numbers are outstanding so I'm sure you'll have the choice to make :wink:

... and I have a question for people ITT: how come so many of you decided to apply to HS and not Y?
I really really really hope so.

+1 on the question

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

booby87 wrote:
Fresh wrote:
booby87 wrote: congrats on Harvard! What's your top choice between YHS?

That's a tough one.
Probably 50% Y, 49%H, 1% S lol. It's weird because S was for if I couldn't get H, and Y was because I got H. After I got into H, I started looking at Y and liked what I saw :mrgreen:
well you're numbers are outstanding so I'm sure you'll have the choice to make :wink:

... and I have a question for people ITT: how come so many of you decided to apply to HS and not Y?
This might sound a bit silly, but I couldn't afford to apply to all 3 with all of the expenses I had during app season. I originally only applied to H, and then applied to S a month later after getting a recruitment letter from BLSA. I'm also fairly certain that I have no shot at Y.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:32 pm

timmna wrote:
booby87 wrote:
Fresh wrote:
booby87 wrote: congrats on Harvard! What's your top choice between YHS?

That's a tough one.
Probably 50% Y, 49%H, 1% S lol. It's weird because S was for if I couldn't get H, and Y was because I got H. After I got into H, I started looking at Y and liked what I saw :mrgreen:

This might sound a bit silly, but I couldn't afford to apply to all 3 with all of the expenses I had during app season. I originally only applied to H, and then applied to S a month later after getting a recruitment letter from BLSA. I'm also fairly certain that I have no shot at Y.
For me, the fee wasn't an issue (they gave me a waiver), it was the damn visit. IDK...something about it rubbed me the wrong way. It was as if they were saying: "Harvard and Duke have their share of douchebags, but here at Yale, we specialize in super-pretentious douchebags." It just wasn't my type of party. Yall can have. :?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Last edited by Mrs. Jack Donaghy on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Yeah, a visit to Yale pretty much confirmed the fact that I would never want to go to school there. Like DukeCornell, it just isn't my cup of tea.
Because of the peeps, because of the town or just because of the vibe?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I looked at the benefits of each. For H, the city of Boston, the business school, the network. For S, the location, the environmental program, the proximity to environmental organization hotspots. Yale just had nothing to really distinguish it for me. I don't care about small classes or intimacy and im not the biggest fan of new haven. Im somewhat interested in academia but I don't think H or S will be a hinderance.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Fresh and TK -

Are you guys still pretty much undecided on where you will be this Fall or are you leaning toward certain schools. Interested in both of your cycles.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm

tkgrrett wrote:I looked at the benefits of each. For H, the city of Boston, the business school, the network. For S, the location, the environmental program, the proximity to environmental organization hotspots. Yale just had nothing to really distinguish it for me. I don't care about small classes or intimacy and im not the biggest fan of new haven. Im somewhat interested in academia but I don't think H or S will be a hinderance.
I totally understand why one would attend H or S over Y, especially if one wants to do business- or tech-related stuff, but I've gotta stand up for Yale Forestry which is probably the most sophisticated and active environmental policy/science program in the country. It certainly has a better reputation than Stanford's (very good, but not great) program. Doing a joint YLS/Forestry degree would make any door in the environmental policy world swing wide open. That being said, I spent several years doing an advanced degree at Stanford and it's an amazing place overall and has a good environmental law program.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

tkgrrett wrote:I looked at the benefits of each. For H, the city of Boston, the business school, the network. For S, the location, the environmental program, the proximity to environmental organization hotspots. Yale just had nothing to really distinguish it for me. I don't care about small classes or intimacy and im not the biggest fan of new haven. Im somewhat interested in academia but I don't think H or S will be a hinderance.
:| :| :| @ the bolded.

There ain't nothing special about Boston and it certainly is no comparison when it comes to studying law in NYC. But for the Harvard name, I can make an exception.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Yeah, a visit to Yale pretty much confirmed the fact that I would never want to go to school there. Like DukeCornell, it just isn't my cup of tea.
Concurred. Hated the look of the campus and the city of New Haven, not to mention that fact that it doesn't have as many black professionals around as I'd like.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:45 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Concurred. Hated the look of the campus and the city of New Haven, not to mention that fact that it doesn't have as many black professionals around as I'd like.
...but it's Yale?

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

RJ127 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
...but it's Yale?
I prefer the sound of Harvard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But seriously, prestige aside, I think I can get the same prestige at other schools with the added benefit of spending three years of my life in an environment I'm comfortable in. And I don't know about ya'll, but I have to also consider things like where I can get my hair done, where I can shop for ethnic foods and products that I'm accustomed to cooking (yes, I cook :lol:) and most importantly, how large and interactive the minority student body.

IMO, NYC and DC tops the list of the best cities for minority law students. Not even Boston comes close. New Haven does have black folk but its pretty shady in those areas. I did love their soul food spot though, Mama Mary's. Great food there.

And I hope any black male applicant considering Stanford can cut his own hair. I have a good friend of mine who is an associate out in Palo Alto and lets just say its real hard to find a good barber let alone a barbershop that tailors to AA hair. REAL hard.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 pm

RJ127 wrote:Fresh and TK -

Are you guys still pretty much undecided on where you will be this Fall or are you leaning toward certain schools. Interested in both of your cycles.
At this point im about 80% set on H but I still havent heard from S, UChi, or Columbia. Im def not deciding until after March ASW. My SO has pretty much said no to Cali but in the end she is only part of the decision. I would have to take a long, hard look at the Rubenstein if I were lucky enough to get it but Harvard has been really pulling me in. I think I still may go the Harvard way even over CCN full rides(Im likely to get a solid 28k from Harvard in grants based on past results) but nothing is down in stone yet. I still want to do a few visits and see if I fall in love (especially the Bay area since I have never been).
notanumber wrote: I totally understand why one would attend H or S over Y, especially if one wants to do business- or tech-related stuff, but I've gotta stand up for Yale Forestry which is probably the most sophisticated and active environmental policy/science program in the country. It certainly has a better reputation than Stanford's (very good, but not great) program. Doing a joint YLS/Forestry degree would make any door in the environmental policy world swing wide open. That being said, I spent several years doing an advanced degree at Stanford and it's an amazing place overall and has a good environmental law program.
You are absolutely correct. For me, the Stanford proximity to NorCal/Pacific NW/Vancouver is what really sets them apart from YLS even taking into account the strength of the Forestry school. That whole area is heaven for environmentalists and if I went toward environmental work that is where I would want to be. More likely than not, however, I am going to end up in corporate. My resume screams corporate, my personality is pretty versatile, and I already have a SO who is interested in PI and wont be making much money. I hold on to the dream of environmental/conservation work but in my heart I know I am pretty unlikely to make the financial sacrifice immediately after graduation. Maybe on down the line I could luck up and make the transition.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 pm

RJ127 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
...but it's Yale?
Something tells me you're going to fit in perfectly. :lol:

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 pm

EbonyEsq wrote: :| :| :| @ the bolded.

There ain't nothing special about Boston and it certainly is no comparison when it comes to studying law in NYC. But for the Harvard name, I can make an exception.
I dislike NYC. Im more of a southern/midwestern boy, i dont really find the Northeast as a whole that appealing. IMO Chicago>>>>NYC. The availability of a large minority population isnt really important to me so that part of Boston isnt an issue either. I was really comparing Boston to New Haven and Palo Alto(I think San Fran is a bit far away to seriously factor in). I dont know a HUGE amount about Boston, and have never been, but from everything I have heard (my SO went to high school in New Hampshire so I hear about it often) I would like Boston at least slightly more than NYC.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 pm

tkgrrett wrote:You are absolutely correct. For me, the Stanford proximity to NorCal/Pacific NW/Vancouver is what really sets them apart from YLS even taking into account the strength of the Forestry school. That whole area is heaven for environmentalists and if I went toward environmental work that is where I would want to be. More likely than not, however, I am going to end up in corporate. My resume screams corporate, my personality is pretty versatile, and I already have a SO who is interested in PI and wont be making much money. I hold on to the dream of environmental/conservation work but in my heart I know I am pretty unlikely to make the financial sacrifice immediately after graduation. Maybe on down the line I could luck up and make the transition.
If corporate is where you see yourself then I strongly advise you stick to schools in close proximity to NYC and DC.

And I'd go a step further by saying Columbia has better placement than Harvard when it comes to BIGLAW. Perhaps it has to do with being in NYC where your options are much more expansive than Boston. Either way, you can't go wrong.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

I dislike NYC. Im more of a southern/midwestern boy, i dont really find the Northeast as a whole that appealing. IMO Chicago>>>>NYC. The availability of a large minority population isnt really important to me so that part of Boston isnt an issue either. I was really comparing Boston to New Haven and Palo Alto(I think San Fran is a bit far away to seriously factor in). I dont know a HUGE amount about Boston, and have never been, but from everything I have heard (my SO went to high school in New Hampshire so I hear about it often) I would like Boston at least slightly more than NYC.
You may have to reconsider your dislike because NYC may just be where you end up after law school. You cannot expect to be in corporate and not consider applying to NYC positions. You would also be doing yourself a huge disservice if you avoid applying to summer associate positions in NYC. I say this because those that avoided NYC placements ended up without any offers come summer. In any event, once you get an offer I'm sure you're free to move around as you wish.

Top Chicago firms that's worth considering is Kirkland & Ellis and Jenner & Block. I guess you'd cross that bridge when you get there. :wink:

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

And I hope any black male applicant considering Stanford can cut his own hair. I have a good friend of mine who is an associate out in Palo Alto and lets just say its real hard to find a good barber let alone a barbershop that tailors to AA hair. REAL hard.
Whoa!!This is not good! :shock:

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Last edited by Mrs. Jack Donaghy on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:You are absolutely correct. For me, the Stanford proximity to NorCal/Pacific NW/Vancouver is what really sets them apart from YLS even taking into account the strength of the Forestry school. That whole area is heaven for environmentalists and if I went toward environmental work that is where I would want to be. More likely than not, however, I am going to end up in corporate. My resume screams corporate, my personality is pretty versatile, and I already have a SO who is interested in PI and wont be making much money. I hold on to the dream of environmental/conservation work but in my heart I know I am pretty unlikely to make the financial sacrifice immediately after graduation. Maybe on down the line I could luck up and make the transition.
If corporate is where you see yourself then I strongly advise you stick to schools in close proximity to NYC and DC.

And I'd go a step further by saying Columbia has better placement than Harvard when it comes to BIGLAW. Perhaps it has to do with being in NYC where your options are much more expansive than Boston. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Thats exactly the thing. I want to have the best shot possible at Non-NYC Biglaw. Columbia might have better placement in Biglaw but there are more than a few smaller firms that pay 145k+. Of course, these firms dont make up a whole lot of entry-level hiring but they do hire a few. Plus, I think really people distort what "placement" should imply when choosing schools. Placement power, in terms of choosing schools, should imply that a firm would favor students from a certain school over equivalent students from another school. I highly, highly doubt thats whats going on with Harvard vs. Columbia. To me, that means that there is no placement advantage for Columbia despite possible percentage differences. When you look at data, analysis of the implications of the data are just as important as the data itself.

Im not saying I would refuse to work NYC. Im still going to apply for NYC SA positions when the time comes but it just isnt my preference. If I have the opportunity to get a high-end firm in any of the other decent markets I would take it (barring a few NYC super-heavyweights of course).

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:42 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
...but it's Yale?
I prefer the sound of Harvard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But seriously, prestige aside, I think I can get the same prestige at other schools with the added benefit of spending three years of my life in an environment I'm comfortable in. And I don't know about ya'll, but I have to also consider things like where I can get my hair done, where I can shop for ethnic foods and products that I'm accustomed to cooking (yes, I cook :lol:) and most importantly, how large and interactive the minority student body.

IMO, NYC and DC tops the list of the best cities for minority law students. Not even Boston comes close. New Haven does have black folk but its pretty shady in those areas. I did love their soul food spot though, Mama Mary's. Great food there.

That's fair. To each his/her own. You cannot go wrong with HYS. I just wouldn't rule out Yale simply because of New Haven.

And to your SLS comment about barbershops, you can always head down to Oakland/Richmond. There are hoards of barbershops out there.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

I'm confused as to how you can dislike NYC and then be so fond of Chicago which is the midwestern city closest to NYC stylistically and the only city in the Midwest anyone on the East Coast even cares about LOL. I say that being an East Coast native going to school in the Midwest. I haven't spent much time in Chi-Town and will spend more before I graduate this spring, but Chicago is a place most East Coasters would feel comfortable in. New Hampshire is nothing like Boston though (I trust your SO's spent more time in the Bean than that). You sound like you're doing major stereotyping. First off you should be comparing Cambridge to New Haven because as a 1L at Harvard I can't imagine you going to hang out in the Bean THAT often (I could be wrong...I just know from undergrads). Secondly, Boston is much less diverse than NYC and though a lively city has less to do. It has the same cultural enclaves. (I say this being from the Northeast and not from either place). To each their own I suppose and NY isn't exactly the cleanest place.

Oh yeah, as for the thread. I applied too. Similar numbers to Timmna and some others and haven't heard back yet. I didn't apply to Yale because well...honestly...let me not rain on anyone's parade. Good luck to those attending.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote: I'm confused as to how you can dislike NYC and then be so fond of Chicago which is the midwestern city closest to NYC stylistically and the only city in the Midwest anyone on the East Coast even cares about LOL. I say that being an East Coast native going to school in the Midwest. I haven't spent much time in Chi-Town and will spend more before I graduate this spring, but Chicago is a place most East Coasters would feel comfortable in. New Hampshire is nothing like Boston though (I trust your SO's spent more time in the Bean than that). You sound like you're doing major stereotyping. First off you should be comparing Cambridge to New Haven because as a 1L at Harvard I can't imagine you going to hang out in the Bean THAT often (I could be wrong...I just know from undergrads). Secondly, Boston is much less diverse than NYC and though a lively city has less to do. It has the same cultural enclaves. (I say this being from the Northeast and not from either place). To each their own I suppose and NY isn't exactly the cleanest place.

Oh yeah, as for the thread. I applied too. Similar numbers to Timmna and some others and haven't heard back yet. I didn't apply to Yale because well...honestly...let me not rain on anyone's parade. Good luck to those attending.
No. Spent decent amount of time in NYC and a HUGE amount of time in Chicago. Saying Chicago is the midwestern city closest to NYC is like saying LA is the closest west coast city to NYC. It might possibly be true, but that doesnt make them very similar. The personality of the city and the people who live there is completely different. In addition, while Chicago is a large city it never really feels huge. Nothing like NYC at all. I dont know anyone who would argue any different. The gf went to boarding school in New Hampshire but her family lived in one of the Boston suburbs and her dad still does business there. As I said above, I dont care about the diversity much and b/c of the SO factor it would be helpful to live near the city. Having the SO not in HLS will also likely lead to me spending more time in the city than most.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote: I'm confused as to how you can dislike NYC and then be so fond of Chicago which is the midwestern city closest to NYC stylistically and the only city in the Midwest anyone on the East Coast even cares about LOL. I say that being an East Coast native going to school in the Midwest. I haven't spent much time in Chi-Town and will spend more before I graduate this spring, but Chicago is a place most East Coasters would feel comfortable in. New Hampshire is nothing like Boston though (I trust your SO's spent more time in the Bean than that). You sound like you're doing major stereotyping. First off you should be comparing Cambridge to New Haven because as a 1L at Harvard I can't imagine you going to hang out in the Bean THAT often (I could be wrong...I just know from undergrads). Secondly, Boston is much less diverse than NYC and though a lively city has less to do. It has the same cultural enclaves. (I say this being from the Northeast and not from either place). To each their own I suppose and NY isn't exactly the cleanest place.

No. Spent decent amount of time in NYC and a HUGE amount of time in Chicago. Saying Chicago is the midwestern city closest to NYC is like saying LA is the closest west coast city to NYC. It might possibly be true, but that doesnt make them very similar. The personality of the city and the people who live there is completely different. In addition, while Chicago is a large city it never really feels huge. Nothing like NYC at all. I dont know anyone who would argue any different. The gf went to boarding school in New Hampshire but her family lived in one of the Boston suburbs and her dad still does business there. As I said above, I dont care about the diversity much and b/c of the SO factor it would be helpful to live near the city. Having the SO not in HLS will also likely lead to me spending more time in the city than most.
No, LA is nothing like NYC and I have been to both. LA is sprawling. I guess coming from a smaller East Coast city NYC and Chi-Town both seem large to me. Knowing my way around parts of New York certainly helps to make it feel smaller. While I agree that the personality of the people in the cities is different...as someone who has spent as much time as you yourself has...that entirely depends on what part of chicago your from. I've either disliked or liked whoever I met from Chicago. There was no in between. And a large percentage of my school is Chicago and all the surrounding suburbs. Heck they all don't even like each other. I'm not attempting to persuade you either way and I agree with your decision. I was just curious. However, I can definitely understand not liking certain aspects of the NYC attitude, and Chicago people even sound a little southern/remind me of the south in certain parts (or is that east coast bias I've been warned about?). I guess you have to be built for it. It's one of those places I think everyone should live in once though. Seems like you have.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”