URM HYS applicants 2011 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: URM HYS applicants 2011

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Columbia might have better placement in Biglaw but there are more than a few smaller firms that pay 145k+. Of course, these firms dont make up a whole lot of entry-level hiring but they do hire a few.

In house is where its at. Better hours too.
tkgrrett wrote:Plus, I think really people distort what "placement" should imply when choosing schools. Placement power, in terms of choosing schools, should imply that a firm would favor students from a certain school over equivalent students from another school. I highly, highly doubt thats whats going on with Harvard vs. Columbia. To me, that means that there is no placement advantage for Columbia despite possible percentage differences. When you look at data, analysis of the implications of the data are just as important as the data itself.
As someone who has worked in NYC BIGLAW for 3 years and counting, I can safely say that firms have their preferences even amongst the top law schools.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:57 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Columbia might have better placement in Biglaw but there are more than a few smaller firms that pay 145k+. Of course, these firms dont make up a whole lot of entry-level hiring but they do hire a few.

tkgrrett wrote:Plus, I think really people distort what "placement" should imply when choosing schools. Placement power, in terms of choosing schools, should imply that a firm would favor students from a certain school over equivalent students from another school. I highly, highly doubt thats whats going on with Harvard vs. Columbia. To me, that means that there is no placement advantage for Columbia despite possible percentage differences. When you look at data, analysis of the implications of the data are just as important as the data itself.
As someone who has worked in NYC BIGLAW for 3 years and counting, I can safely say that firms have their preferences even amongst the top law schools.
I know this.. but to the degree that you feel there is a significant NYC "placement power" difference between Columbia and HLS in the NYC market as a whole??

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 am

tkgrrett wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

I know this.. but to the degree that you feel there is a significant NYC "placement power" difference between Columbia and HLS in the NYC market as a whole??
Not that this convo involves me. But from some anecdotal evidence. I know a couple of friends that have fathers/uncles in high positions in big law. One firm's Boston office (I believe) only really liked people from Harvard and Michigan. As far as NYC goes I was told that Harvard is always preferred but NYU/Columbia were viewed the same. A guy I interned under who moved out of Big Law and went to CCN told me the same. To what extent I'm unsure though.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote: Not that this convo involves me. But from some anecdotal evidence. I know a couple of friends that have fathers/uncles in high positions in big law. One firm's Boston office (I believe) only really liked people from Harvard and Michigan. As far as NYC goes I was told that Harvard is always preferred but NYU/Columbia were viewed the same. A guy I interned under who moved out of Big Law and went to CCN told me the same. To what extent I'm unsure though.
This is definitely an open and serious question.. I dont know a lot of former/current NYC Biglaw people but the few I do know have told me exactly what you have heard. I have always been told that, overall at least, HLS is second to none for NYC biglaw.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:37 am

Fwiw, I know of one URM corporate lawyer (Columbia Law alum, former Skadden, Arps associate, currently works in D.C.), and his advice was to go to Columbia over Harvard if BigLaw was the goal. He seemed more focused on the benefits of going to school in NYC, than on the benefits of attending Columbia, but he was def pro-Columbia. (NYU never came up in the conversation.) Also, he is not a recent grad, and he paid sticker.

HTH.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 am

TK, a few posts back you said you would pick Harvard over a CCN full ride, perhaps I missed it, but I'm curious as to your reasoning for this one? Harvard is nice, but is it that good, esp if biglaw is end goal and Columbia and NYU can do the same for cheaper?

(This is not a challenge about your decision making btw, just general curiousity).

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 am

RJ127 wrote:Fresh and TK -

Are you guys still pretty much undecided on where you will be this Fall or are you leaning toward certain schools. Interested in both of your cycles.
I'm pretty undecided to be honest.
These are the 4 options I'm hoping to have -
Harvard
Yale
Columbia w/ $$$$
Michigan w/ a huge scholarship (curveball?)

I'm low SES, so I don't know how much need aid I will get from Harvard (and Yale if i'm blessed enough to get in), and $ is a big part of my decision making. I am not set on big law, and I refuse to have a fat debt load out of law school. I have a million factors I'm considering, as does everyone else, and without seeing all options in front of me it's hard to narrow it down much at all. So if I don't get a big Darrow, don't get in to Columbia w/ big money, and don't get in to Yale, then I'll go to Harvard. FWIW I will probably be withdrawing from GW, Duke, Georgetown, Virginia, and Berkeley soon.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 am

TatNurner wrote:TK, a few posts back you said you would pick Harvard over a CCN full ride, perhaps I missed it, but I'm curious as to your reasoning for this one? Harvard is nice, but is it that good, esp if biglaw is end goal and Columbia and NYU can do the same for cheaper?

(This is not a challenge about your decision making btw, just general curiousity).
No problem. First, it is probably best for me to define "goal" as I write it. When I say goal, what I mean is the "worst" outcome that I would find satisfactory. I dont mean to use it as a synonym for dream. Its kind of like saying you want to get a certain grade in a class. Of course you would be happy with doing better, but you arent going to be upset unless you do worse. Ideally I would prefer to have a fed. clerkship(and eventually academia.. this would be my dream situation), environmental PI, or even transition into in-house work. Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables that go into all of those (high-grades, relationship situation, luck, etc.). I really dont feel comfortable saying those are my "goal" under the definition I gave.

In the end, I think going to HLS gives me a good chance of meeting the baseline "goal" while also giving me a very good shot at the other options if everything falls in place. In addition, I prefer non-NYC markets so that kind of takes the edge off of Columbia and NYU a bit. I also have to take into account that my decision is likely to be 25-29k grant vs. ~45k scholly rather than sticker vs. ~45k.

Dont get me wrong. If I had CCN full vs. HLS I would definitely give it a long thought. Im not anywhere near 100% sure I would turn it down. But this is pretty much how I would reason my way through it.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:

YES.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Fresh wrote: I'm low SES, so I don't know how much need aid I will get from Harvard (and Yale if i'm blessed enough to get in), and $ is a big part of my decision making. I am not set on big law, and I refuse to have a fat debt load out of law school. I have a million factors I'm considering, as does everyone else, and without seeing all options in front of me it's hard to narrow it down much at all. So if I don't get a big Darrow, don't get in to Columbia w/ big money, and don't get in to Yale, then I'll go to Harvard. FWIW I will probably be withdrawing from GW, Duke, Georgetown, Virginia, and Berkeley soon.
Also worth consideration is each schools loan repayment programs. Even though I've knocked Yale in this thread, they same to have the better LRAP over Harvard.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Fresh wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Fresh and TK -

Are you guys still pretty much undecided on where you will be this Fall or are you leaning toward certain schools. Interested in both of your cycles.
I'm pretty undecided to be honest.
These are the 4 options I'm hoping to have -
Harvard
Yale
Columbia w/ $$$$
Michigan w/ a huge scholarship (curveball?)

I'm low SES, so I don't know how much need aid I will get from Harvard (and Yale if i'm blessed enough to get in), and $ is a big part of my decision making. I am not set on big law, and I refuse to have a fat debt load out of law school. I have a million factors I'm considering, as does everyone else, and without seeing all options in front of me it's hard to narrow it down much at all. So if I don't get a big Darrow, don't get in to Columbia w/ big money, and don't get in to Yale, then I'll go to Harvard. FWIW I will probably be withdrawing from GW, Duke, Georgetown, Virginia, and Berkeley soon.
Any particular reason S isn't on that list? I've gotta say... the more I've looked into S, the more I've found to like.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:28 pm

timmna wrote:
Any particular reason S isn't on that list? I've gotta say... the more I've looked into S, the more I've found to like.
location location. I love Cali (from there originally), but I'm too connected to the east/midwest to move out there later this year I think. It's still not crossed off though (plus if I got in it'd make me have to look more into it)

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:04 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
YES.
Wow.. thats interesting. I have been told, independently, by 4 people formerly or currently in NYC biglaw that it is, at worst, a wash between HLS and CLS in NYC. Ive never seen anything to challenge that. In fact, everything I have seen or been told completely supports that. One of these people included a recently semi-retired, former in-house guy who asked a current biglaw partner this very question for me. Sure, people say going to CLS would be a better experience b/c of NYC or to take money from CLS over HLS but never that their is an NYC placement advantage over HLS from any school.

Just to be clear.. what you are saying is that you believe that, in general, NYC firms prefer a CLS grad over an equivalent HLS grad to a significant degree?

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 pm

tkgrrett wrote: Just to be clear.. what you are saying is that you believe that, in general, NYC firms prefer a CLS grad over an equivalent HLS grad to a significant degree?
Significant degree? I like how you slipped that in there. :lol:

What I am saying is that CLS law students have an advantage over HLS law students when it comes to NYC placement mostly due to their close proximity to the Mecca of BIGLAW: New York, NY. Some NYC BIGLAW firms also have their biases and it shows.

But as a black student with either schools behind your name, you can't go wrong.

So question: if you gained acceptance to Yale, Columbia ($$) and Harvard, which shall it be and why?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:06 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
So question: if you gained acceptance to Yale, Columbia ($$) and Harvard, which shall it be and why?
Yale would be out b/c Im not the type of person who would take advantage of the some of the major benefits of Yale (small class sizes, access to profs, etc.) but I am very interested in the major benefits of Harvard (network, business school, clinics, etc.). Yale's LRAP is better, at least in the short run, but both schools have an acceptable LRAP so thats not a big factor. I actually came into this cycle w/ SLS as my first choice so an acceptance there would complicate things more than YLS would.

HLS vs. CLS(or any of CCN) with a full scholly would be a hard one. I dont think I can really even say what I would do w/o the offer in hand. It is just really hard to choose w/o knowledge of where you will end up in the class. If I knew I was going to graduate in the top 25% or bottom 25% at either I would take HLS w/o a second thought. That middle 50% is where things get really murky. At some point, Im just going to have to sit down and decide what my assumptions are for how the economy is going to look in 2012/2013, how I see my current relationship going, how much I value having certain career options and a few other things.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:13 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
Yale would be out b/c Im not the type of person who would take advantage of the some of the major benefits of Yale (small class sizes, access to profs, etc.) but I am very interested in the major benefits of Harvard (network, business school, clinics, etc.). Yale's LRAP is better, at least in the short run, but both schools have an acceptable LRAP so thats not a big factor. I actually came into this cycle w/ SLS as my first choice so an acceptance there would complicate things more than YLS would.

HLS vs. CLS(or any of CCN) with a full scholly would be a hard one. I dont think I can really even say what I would do w/o the offer in hand. It is just really hard to choose w/o knowledge of where you will end up in the class. If I knew I was going to graduate in the top 25% or bottom 25% at either I would take HLS w/o a second thought. That middle 50% is where things get really murky. At some point, Im just going to have to sit down and decide what my assumptions are for how the economy is going to look in 2012/2013, how I see my current relationship going, how much I value having certain career options and a few other things.
I was under the impression HLS did away with ranking, grades, etc. I thought it was now a P/F grading system, like YLS and SLS. Unless they also rank those...?

Either way, good luck with your decision. And FYI, if you intend on staying with the GF and marrying her, she should be just as important a consideration before deciding. :D

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 pm

EbonyEsq wrote: I was under the impression HLS did away with ranking, grades, etc. I thought it was now a P/F grading system, like YLS and SLS. Unless they also rank those...?
They got rid of letter grades for a HP/P/LP/F system. There's a forced curve I believe (approx. bottom 10% of a class get an LP?). I have read, though, that Harvard's system hasn't really undercut grade competition like Yale's has. I don't know about Stanford's.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Fresh wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote: I was under the impression HLS did away with ranking, grades, etc. I thought it was now a P/F grading system, like YLS and SLS. Unless they also rank those...?
They got rid of letter grades for a HP/P/LP/F system. There's a forced curve I believe (approx. bottom 10% of a class get an LP?). I have read, though, that Harvard's system hasn't really undercut grade competition like Yale's has. I don't know about Stanford's.
Thanks for the clarification.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:23 pm

I haven't applied to Stanford and have been toying with the thought this weekend. I wonder if it's too late now.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:02 am

Last edited by Mrs. Jack Donaghy on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I haven't applied to Stanford and have been toying with the thought this weekend. I wonder if it's too late now.
Toying w/ the thought --> interest in attending --> submit an app

goood luck. Which of UVa Michigan and UNC do u attend?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:18 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Fresh wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.
LP is actually completely discretionary.. 8% was the recommended amount of LP but some people think HLS may be softening that recommendation.

gamblera

New

Post by gamblera » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 am

how many of yall applied with gpas lower than 3.5 and lsats 170+? I see a few of you have ~~3.8, 170+

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Checking in...applied to H 12-22 last year, S on 1/8

Haven't applied to Yale yet but I'm going to... stats 3.7 GPA 170 LSAT (retook a 161)

csalguero10

New

Post by csalguero10 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Just wondering what you guys think about GPA vs. LSAT for HYS and CCN? I'm currently applying next cycle, but I would be doing so with a 2.8/179. Is it even worth spending money on applying or should I stick to the lower T14s? Does it matter that my UG major was engineering at a top program (Cornell)?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”