URM HYS applicants 2011

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Raramuri415

URM HYS applicants 2011

Postby Raramuri415 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Applied early Nov, still have not heard back. 3.4/170. What are other people's experiences?

Stickupyoura$$much

Re: URM HYS applicants 2011

Postby Stickupyoura$$much » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

My next door neighbor got in, I'll edit in his numbers gimme a sec.

3.8 / 173 - feel free to PM him UN: MikeNorec | He's peurto rican btw.

TatNurner

Postby TatNurner » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:16 pm

OP, what sort of URM are you?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 am

Applied Mid-Oct to HS, working on my 250 atm. JR1-less and S-less.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 am

In at Harvard. Waiting to hear from Yale and Stanford, but I applied relatively recently, so no worries yet, jaja.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 am

AztecaRex wrote:In at Harvard. Waiting to hear from Yale and Stanford, but I applied relatively recently, so no worries yet, jaja.

How was writing your 250?

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 am

Knock wrote:
AztecaRex wrote:In at Harvard. Waiting to hear from Yale and Stanford, but I applied relatively recently, so no worries yet, jaja.

Well, to be honest, I think I spent more time agonizing over what would be "appropriate" to write about than I did actually writing the thing. I had originally intended on going with a scholarly sort of look at an international legal topic I've had personal work experience with, but I ultimately went with a much more lighthearted, humorous topic (PM me if you want specifics). I'm a bit nervous about how it will go over given Yale's unique review process, but I used a similar tone in my diversity statements and I haven't been rejected anywhere yet (plus I think I remember reading a 250 about pinche Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so it can't all be monocles and brandy in the Yale reading room 8) ). How's yours going, Knock?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:39 am

AztecaRex wrote:
Knock wrote:

Well, to be honest, I think I spent more time agonizing over what would be "appropriate" to write about than I did actually writing the thing. I had originally intended on going with a scholarly sort of look at an international legal topic I've had personal work experience with, but I ultimately went with a much more lighthearted, humorous topic (PM me if you want specifics). I'm a bit nervous about how it will go over given Yale's unique review process, but I used a similar tone in my diversity statements and I haven't been rejected anywhere yet (plus I think I remember reading a 250 about pinche Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so it can't all be monocles and brandy in the Yale reading room 8) ). How's yours going, Knock?

Haha, i'm still stuck on the figuring out what exactly what to write about. I have an idea but I'm not sure how adcomms would perceive it. Basically just using my major to my advantage to analyze something that I think is interesting.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 am

Checking in. Applied to HS, and working on my 250 (and getting a second professor letter) for Y. Is DS not recommended for Yale? Dean Asha did mention (I think on her blog) that if you have something to add than you may, but considering that 3 anonymous professors will be reviewing my app, I don't want to overburden them with an extra essay that nobody else is writing. If I don't write a DS, is it important to bring up diversity in PS/250? To clarify, I'm of Colombian background, and my DS doesn't include "overcoming adversity", it just stresses the point that I have a unique background and what it means to me. Any thoughts?

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 am

Shloime wrote:Checking in. Applied to HS, and working on my 250 (and getting a second professor letter) for Y. Is DS not recommended for Yale? Dean Asha did mention (I think on her blog) that if you have something to add than you may, but considering that 3 anonymous professors will be reviewing my app, I don't want to overburden them with an extra essay that nobody else is writing. If I don't write a DS, is it important to bring up diversity in PS/250? To clarify, I'm of Colombian background, and my DS doesn't include "overcoming adversity", it just stresses the point that I have a unique background and what it means to me. Any thoughts?

Well, I didn't do a DS for Yale, but that's only because Yale's application didn't mention the option of sending one. If Asha said something different in her blog, then by all means send one. As far as mentioning your diverse background elsewhere if you don't do a DS, the easy answer is--it depends. How connected are you to your Colombian roots? Were you actually born there? Grew up there? Were you a part of a Colombian Student Association or a Latino Student Union at your undergrade? It also depends on where your PS and 250 stand alone--if you've got some amazing story for the PS unrelated to your background, it's just going to seem tacked on if you mention your heritage (i.e. "I'm from Bogata and we use the word "marica" like it's going out of style" :wink: ). On the other hand, if there's some experience connected with your culture, or you did some great work or volunteering in Colombia, then by all means go for it tigre.

Buena suerte! :)

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 am

in at Harvard. waiting to hear from Yale (went complete on 12/17).

pennyloafer17

Postby pennyloafer17 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:37 am

In at HYS. You can PM me for numbers

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:16 am

pennyloafer17 wrote:In at HYS. You can PM me for numbers

Grats. Love the avatar.

pennyloafer17

Postby pennyloafer17 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:53 am

Kabuo wrote:
pennyloafer17 wrote:In at HYS. You can PM me for numbers

Grats. Love the avatar.

Thanks I like yours too!

booby87

Postby booby87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 am

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 am

booby87 wrote:
AztecaRex wrote:
Shloime wrote:Checking in. Applied to HS, and working on my 250 (and getting a second professor letter) for Y. Is DS not recommended for Yale? Dean Asha did mention (I think on her blog) that if you have something to add than you may, but considering that 3 anonymous professors will be reviewing my app, I don't want to overburden them with an extra essay that nobody else is writing. If I don't write a DS, is it important to bring up diversity in PS/250? To clarify, I'm of Colombian background, and my DS doesn't include "overcoming adversity", it just stresses the point that I have a unique background and what it means to me. Any thoughts?

Well, I didn't do a DS for Yale, but that's only because Yale's application didn't mention the option of sending one. If Asha said something different in her blog, then by all means send one. As far as mentioning your diverse background elsewhere if you don't do a DS, the easy answer is--it depends. How connected are you to your Colombian roots? Were you actually born there? Grew up there? Were you a part of a Colombian Student Association or a Latino Student Union at your undergrade? It also depends on where your PS and 250 stand alone--if you've got some amazing story for the PS unrelated to your background, it's just going to seem tacked on if you mention your heritage (i.e. "I'm from Bogata and we use the word "marica" like it's going out of style" :wink: ). On the other hand, if there's some experience connected with your culture, or you did some great work or volunteering in Colombia, then by all means go for it tigre.

Buena suerte! :)

To add a different perspective to your question Shloime, I did submit a DS when I applied last year (to every school, not just Yale). I had a pretty successful cycle (LSN in profile) and I think my DS really did help distinguish me. Of course I may be wrong - it is possible I was admitted in spite of the DS, but I don't think this is the case.

I wrote about what my background means to me, as you're thinking about doing. I also wasn't a part of any student associations or anything, so I'll have to disagree with Azteca and encourage you to write one if you have something to say. It doesn't necessarily have to be about some huge experience, I think I just wrote about my perspective on the wold and how my background influenced it. I think a good DS can be game changing for a URM, so I just wanted to share my two cents.

Sorry if you've already applied, I know you asked a couple of weeks ago...perhaps this will be helpful to other URMs as well.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that the OP needed to be a part of a student organization to write a DS--I was merely listing things that might imply a connection to his Colombian heritage. If the OP has something to say about his background, then by all means he should go for it.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 am

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 am

AA Male -
Same LSAT
In @ H.
Not happy w/ my Y250, but my fingers are crossed.
No clue what will happen with S.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 am

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 am

Knock wrote:Applied Mid-Oct to HS, working on my 250 atm. JR1-less and S-less.

+1
except early November

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Ehh I guess I'll join this party. In at H. Waiting on S. LSN in profile.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:20 pm

booby87 wrote:
AztecaRex wrote:
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that the OP needed to be a part of a student organization to write a DS--I was merely listing things that might imply a connection to his Colombian heritage. If the OP has something to say about his background, then by all means he should go for it.

Ah, sorry for the misread. :oops: I see now you're talking about adding the diversity into the PS, and I agree that would probably be awkward if a sentence was thrown in as an afterthought. I just didn't want anyone to feel like they shouldn't write a DS because they weren't involved enough (and you by no means said that, my bad).

Have you heard from any of YHS yet? Anyways, best of luck to everyone in this thread! Come to Yale :wink:

No worries, you were just trying to help the OP out :) . Anyway, in at Harvard, still waiting on Yale and Stanford. If I may ask, what made Yale the #1 choice for you?

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Raramuri415 wrote:Applied early Nov, still have not heard back. 3.4/170. What are other people's experiences?

Similar numbers (in profile). Applied to H in early Nov. and S in Dec. No news as of yet.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

booby87 wrote:congrats on Harvard! What's your top choice between YHS?

That's a tough one.
Probably 50% Y, 49%H, 1% S lol. It's weird because S was for if I couldn't get H, and Y was because I got H. After I got into H, I started looking at Y and liked what I saw :mrgreen:

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 pm

I wasn't going to apply to HYS because I'm pretty much sold on Columbia, NYU, and Duke. But, WTF... add me to the HYS waiting thread, minus the Y. (Still waiting for my December LSAT) :cry:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”