Howard law school

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby kk19131 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
kk19131 wrote:one thing I will say is that black students should NEVER underestimate the power of an HBCU environment and education.

Howard might not be the best law school in the world, but it offers a unique atmosphere that most other law schools (maybe even none) can provide; that's not something one should brush off so easily.


Atmosphere does not get you jobs or pay back student loans. And trust me, the HBCU atmosphere may be nice, but the headache Howard gives ALL of its students is nothing that should be taken lightly.

Atmosphere may be nice, but at the end of the day, people are going to law school to land the best job possible. If Howard cannot offer that, then they need to look elsewhere.



The supportive environment is often what allows students to thrive... that thriving allows them to graduate near the top of their classes, which of course helps them get jobs.

Will someone at the bottom of a Howard class have great prospects? Probably not... but someone at the top certainly will.

All I'm saying is that there is at least some value in this school for certain applicants. Suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.

mimi82
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby mimi82 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:46 pm

:shock:

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

mimi82 wrote:I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.


:shock: :shock: :shock: .. on a serious note. I have a friend who graduated from an HBCU and ended up turning down full ride at HU for half-ride at American. He said, from his own research and asking around with some D.C. connections he had, American seemed like it was in a whole different stratosphere as a school.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby OGR3 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:36 am

tkgrrett wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.


:shock: :shock: :shock: .. on a serious note. I have a friend who graduated from an HBCU and ended up turning down full ride at HU for half-ride at American. He said, from his own research and asking around with some D.C. connections he had, American seemed like it was in a whole different stratosphere as a school.


Depending on the requirements for keeping the scholarship at American, it could be a good financial decision. There were two things I didn't like about Howard, no access to Westlaw or Lexis 1st semester, and their unbelievably strict GPA requirements for scholarships.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:37 am

OGR3 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.


:shock: :shock: :shock: .. on a serious note. I have a friend who graduated from an HBCU and ended up turning down full ride at HU for half-ride at American. He said, from his own research and asking around with some D.C. connections he had, American seemed like it was in a whole different stratosphere as a school.


Depending on the requirements for keeping the scholarship at American, it could be a good financial decision. There were two things I didn't like about Howard, no access to Westlaw or Lexis 1st semester, and their unbelievably strict GPA requirements for scholarships.


Wow, what was the rationale behind that?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:What other schools have you been accepted to? It is easier to compare and contrast if we know what your options are.

Before going into depth, I will say that it is hard to directly compare law schools for AA candidates. However, I will say this: If your gpa is 3.0 or higher, you will be very competitive for a lot of jobs. The problem with Howard is that it curves to below a 3.0. As a result, odds are that you will have difficulty securing high profile legal employment unless you are in the top of your class. This is an issue with most tier 3/4 schools - they curve so low that only the top of the class is competitive (not even URMs are immune to the dreaded 2.9 or lower gpa).

Most of the brand name law schools curve to about a 3.2-3.3 (T14s and most T50s). Therefore, as long as you aren't in the bottom 20-30%, you will be competitive for some jobs. Having a gpa above 3.0 thing is even more meaningful for URMs because it makes them even more competitive than ORM candidates will similar gpas because many employers will dip a little for URM candidates - but many won't touch a gpa below 3.0 from a top school (maybe a couple of T14 exceptions?) or below latin honors from a non-top school.



You are really stuck on this gpa thing Zombie!


haha I am. But as you may have noticed, no one considers gpa curves when choosing a school. If you are looking at a T18ish, it doesn't matter as much because they don't curve and they have strong loyal employer bases. Every other school beyond that point has to hustle. Every school. Because of this, prospective students should factor GPA curves as one of their most important criteria when choosing schools beyond that point (along with location, placement, etc.).

Howard is a good school for the top of the class. But many employers will hire lower ranked URMs from T50s than people outside the top 20% or so at Howard.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby OGR3 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.


:shock: :shock: :shock: .. on a serious note. I have a friend who graduated from an HBCU and ended up turning down full ride at HU for half-ride at American. He said, from his own research and asking around with some D.C. connections he had, American seemed like it was in a whole different stratosphere as a school.


Depending on the requirements for keeping the scholarship at American, it could be a good financial decision. There were two things I didn't like about Howard, no access to Westlaw or Lexis 1st semester, and their unbelievably strict GPA requirements for scholarships.


Wow, what was the rationale behind that?


It forces you to learn to do book research.

El Rey Negro
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby El Rey Negro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

mimi82 wrote:I graduated from Howard undergrad. But the same feeling is pretty much felt throughout all the schools there. I personally would never go there again. However, I also can't say that if I had to do it over again I wouldn't go. I have a love/hate relationship with that school. The students and environment is good. I like competition and the kids there gave me that. Plus I grew up in a white area and so with my black friends I was always the 'proper' talking one. So when I went here and we all sounded alike I felt comfortable. The education is good, and to be part of the Howard community is a plus. Whenever someone in the area wants to have more minority interns or something they automatically go to Howard. Howard is thought as where the smart black kids are.

Now the bad part. I would never let me child go to this school if I weren't living close by. I say this because of the administration. They act like you are bothering them, and they don't have to do their job. They treat you like crap on the bottom of their shoes. And I was not one to take that. I had to fight a lot. I mean A LOT!!! I was always angry and always yelling at someone. Why? Well because they loose stuff, then they blame it on you. They don't answer phones. They are very unorganized. No one has any idea what the other office does and you can spend all day running around the campus and get nothing done because everyone swears they aren't the ones to handle something. My best friends became the Provost and the Special Assistant to the President of the School. Anytime I had a problem that I couldn't get done on my own I just sent an email cc'ing them and then magically it happened. Financial aid is a joke. They change the times like everyday and then say they posted it!! I mean I can go on and on with the problems. But basically its just the administration. If you can deal with that then go. But I wouldn't recommend it.


Sad to say but, this poster is completely correct. Howard is a great school, with great professors & provides a lot of opportunities to prosper. But you must pass through HELL first!!! At any other large university, many students complain of being treated like a number but, at the Mecca, you will have to develop THICK SKIN!!!

LglEgl
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby LglEgl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:32 am

I attend Howard Law and it is an incredible institution.

And that's coming from a HBCU Undergrad (a top HBCU) and a PWI for another terminal degree. Administration can be a hinderance or a golden gate depending upon your attitude and how you handle challenges. In either case, if you learn from the experiences you have, struggle with admin will build character and resiliency.

Howard's administration is composed of people. Their work ethics vary, their perspectives on the importance of their jobs, how their role impacts students, etc. all varies. However, one thing is constant: People like to be respected and feel valued and appreciated. If you are kind, even when circumstances are unfavorable, Howard's administration will look out for you, typically customary for an HBCU environment. Its those who handle duress without finesse that have the most difficult time- and with such a pretentious group of students like Law Students, we can be a little low on the humility. Humility is key.


I've had so many incredible opportunities afforded me through the faculty and administration its unbelievable. I get emails and notices about opportunities because when I could have "acted a fool" I didn't and they recognized that.

Ultimately, its all about your attitude.

Thats my two cents on the "Administration Issue."

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby mez06 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 am

LglEgl wrote:I attend Howard Law and it is an incredible institution.

And that's coming from a HBCU Undergrad (a top HBCU) and a PWI for another terminal degree. Administration can be a hinderance or a golden gate depending upon your attitude and how you handle challenges. In either case, if you learn from the experiences you have, struggle with admin will build character and resiliency.

Howard's administration is composed of people. Their work ethics vary, their perspectives on the importance of their jobs, how their role impacts students, etc. all varies. However, one thing is constant: People like to be respected and feel valued and appreciated. If you are kind, even when circumstances are unfavorable, Howard's administration will look out for you, typically customary for an HBCU environment. Its those who handle duress without finesse that have the most difficult time- and with such a pretentious group of students like Law Students, we can be a little low on the humility. Humility is key.


I've had so many incredible opportunities afforded me through the faculty and administration its unbelievable. I get emails and notices about opportunities because when I could have "acted a fool" I didn't and they recognized that.

Ultimately, its all about your attitude.

Thats my two cents on the "Administration Issue."


May I ask what year you are in and possibly any insight you have on the employment? Is it really only the top 20% that get those jobs...or are the percentiles even higher to nab something from on the big firms?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am

I applied to this school forever and a day ago...

:?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I also emailed them like 3 days ago requesting my application status.

... they have yet to respond.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm

LglEgl wrote:I attend Howard Law and it is an incredible institution.

And that's coming from a HBCU Undergrad (a top HBCU) and a PWI for another terminal degree. Administration can be a hinderance or a golden gate depending upon your attitude and how you handle challenges. In either case, if you learn from the experiences you have, struggle with admin will build character and resiliency.

Howard's administration is composed of people. Their work ethics vary, their perspectives on the importance of their jobs, how their role impacts students, etc. all varies. However, one thing is constant: People like to be respected and feel valued and appreciated. If you are kind, even when circumstances are unfavorable, Howard's administration will look out for you, typically customary for an HBCU environment. Its those who handle duress without finesse that have the most difficult time- and with such a pretentious group of students like Law Students, we can be a little low on the humility. Humility is key.


I've had so many incredible opportunities afforded me through the faculty and administration its unbelievable. I get emails and notices about opportunities because when I could have "acted a fool" I didn't and they recognized that.

Ultimately, its all about your attitude.

Thats my two cents on the "Administration Issue."


I disagree with much of this post. Howard's administration issues are about much more than "attitude". It is all about people who are unwilling or unable to do their jobs. I simply cannot count the number of times I have been directed and redirected from person to person to get the simplest task completed. The "customer service" is nearly nonexistent. There are those who are willing to help, and then there are people who just dont give a damn. The hassle they have put me through did not foster any sort of growing experience: it fostered resentment. They like to use this "building character" rhetoric to excuse their ineptitude.

As an undergrad, I have decided that I will never again deal with this school. I had a moment of insanity when I considered sending them an application just to see what would happen, but I quickly came to my senses and decided to save my $12. My advice to anyone: if you are familiair with the bassackwards way HBCU's notoriously do things and can deal with that stress and are looking for a TTT school in an already packed DC market, by all means go to Howard. But if you, like me, do not want to deal with that sort of stress during an already stressful time in your life, then do not go. There are 6 (7 in you count George Mason) law schools in the DC area and 6 of them are better than Howard. If you can get into any one of those PLEASE go there.

Greenz
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby Greenz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:27 pm

kk19131 wrote:I also emailed them like 3 days ago requesting my application status.

... they have yet to respond.



Same boat...

Someone on LSN posted an acceptance today, so things may start moving now.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 pm

... Just got the email.

I'm in.

Seminole_305
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby Seminole_305 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 pm

I applied at Howard and to be honest they are my number #1 school. At this point I doubt I get in because of my scores. Is it possible to get scholarships after your first year if you came in with none?

HUSL2014
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby HUSL2014 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:I applied at Howard and to be honest they are my number #1 school. At this point I doubt I get in because of my scores. Is it possible to get scholarships after your first year if you came in with none?


Actually yes, when I spoke to the dean and asked for more scholarship money he said they could not increase it for this year however depending on my gpa etc it could possibly be increased next year.

DaydreamBeliever
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby DaydreamBeliever » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:33 pm

OGR3 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I debated between transferring into HU as an undergrad or go there for Law school. I knew I would not only go to HBCUs. I ultimately decided that I would go to HU undergrad and go to a non HBCU for law school. The reason for my decision was purely for networking purposes. I wanted to know people from both worlds. HU gave me the contacts for much of the black community while the other school (hopefully American University) will give me contacts in the white community. And I hope to be pretty much be a well rounded out person. School is so much more than education. The point of going is to be able to get a better job when coming out. And its really not about what you know but who you know. Undergrad was for that whole 'experience' but for me law school is strictly business.


:shock: :shock: :shock: .. on a serious note. I have a friend who graduated from an HBCU and ended up turning down full ride at HU for half-ride at American. He said, from his own research and asking around with some D.C. connections he had, American seemed like it was in a whole different stratosphere as a school.


Depending on the requirements for keeping the scholarship at American, it could be a good financial decision. There were two things I didn't like about Howard, no access to Westlaw or Lexis 1st semester, and their unbelievably strict GPA requirements for scholarships.


This is't true.


I'm a 1L at HUSL now. Let me know if you have any questions.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm

kk19131 wrote:The supportive environment is often what allows students to thrive... that thriving allows them to graduate near the top of their classes, which of course helps them get jobs.


Hi, I'm the law school grading curve and I don't think we've met yet.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:The supportive environment is often what allows students to thrive... that thriving allows them to graduate near the top of their classes, which of course helps them get jobs.


Hi, I'm the law school grading curve and I don't think we've met yet.


I lol'd -- had the exact same thought haha

hyperflipmode
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby hyperflipmode » Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Is anyone else on TLS still waiting for a decision from Howard? I have been waiting since late Feb. Starting to worry a bit.

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby DavidYurman85 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

mimi82 wrote:I graduated from Howard undergrad. But the same feeling is pretty much felt throughout all the schools there. I personally would never go there again. However, I also can't say that if I had to do it over again I wouldn't go. I have a love/hate relationship with that school. The students and environment is good. I like competition and the kids there gave me that. Plus I grew up in a white area and so with my black friends I was always the 'proper' talking one. So when I went here and we all sounded alike I felt comfortable. The education is good, and to be part of the Howard community is a plus. Whenever someone in the area wants to have more minority interns or something they automatically go to Howard. Howard is thought as where the smart black kids are.

Now the bad part. I would never let me child go to this school if I weren't living close by. I say this because of the administration. They act like you are bothering them, and they don't have to do their job. They treat you like crap on the bottom of their shoes. And I was not one to take that. I had to fight a lot. I mean A LOT!!! I was always angry and always yelling at someone. Why? Well because they loose stuff, then they blame it on you. They don't answer phones. They are very unorganized. No one has any idea what the other office does and you can spend all day running around the campus and get nothing done because everyone swears they aren't the ones to handle something. My best friends became the Provost and the Special Assistant to the President of the School. Anytime I had a problem that I couldn't get done on my own I just sent an email cc'ing them and then magically it happened. Financial aid is a joke. They change the times like everyday and then say they posted it!! I mean I can go on and on with the problems. But basically its just the administration. If you can deal with that then go. But I wouldn't recommend it.



I'll co-sign a lot of what the above poster said. Most HU alums have a love/hate relationship w/ the school. The administration is the biggest disappointment. They didn't get the memo that "the customer is always right." With that being said, HU does give you access to career opportunities that similarly situated schools won't. Most of the top big law firms recruit from HU. However, your grades need to be stellar (as in top 5%). Just about everyone that I know who graduated from HU law and is currently working in big law had top grades. The law school is also not located on the same campus as the UG, so you're not really apart of the larger campus community. There's a shuttle that takes students back and forth between the main campus and law campus. . They are well connected and definitely a go-to place when firms/corporations/agencies are looking to increase their diversity. I have heard from HU alums that exit opportunities from firms to in-house positions are more difficult to come by. This could be a result of the competitive nature of in-house jobs, or a number of other things. Bar passage rates from HU law are also low. Take away point - if you do well academically, you will likely have great opportunities. Should you decide to attend, keep a record of everything and turn in all paperwork or any information that they need ASAP.

0L_Jedi
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Howard law school

Postby 0L_Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 pm

hyperflipmode wrote:Is anyone else on TLS still waiting for a decision from Howard? I have been waiting since late Feb. Starting to worry a bit.


Give them a call. that's ridiculous. Good luck to you :-)

hyperflipmode
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Howard law school

Postby hyperflipmode » Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 pm

0L_Jedi wrote:
hyperflipmode wrote:Is anyone else on TLS still waiting for a decision from Howard? I have been waiting since late Feb. Starting to worry a bit.


Give them a call. that's ridiculous. Good luck to you :-)


Thanks! They admitted me two weeks ago!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests