Should I withdraw from CLEO?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 pm

I was asked to call to speak with a CLEO representative a couple days ago. She basically offered the Attitude is Essential workshop as an alternative, but was quick to say that if I didn't want to do that, that I would still be considered for CLEO. I got the feeling that she thought I didn't really need to go to CLEO because I already have a few good acceptances.

Ok... so for starters. I have been accepted at a number of good schools including GULC and NU. I have been deferred to the regular admissions cycle at UT (which is still my dream school). I don't have any overwhelming desire to spend 6-weeks in San Diego or Iowa, but I am more then willing to do it if it increases my chances at UT. Does anyone have an anecdotal evidence on how CLEO member schools view participating in the CLEO summer program?

Since I already have two T14 acceptances and the fact that it would be difficult/financially imprudent to quit my job early to attend CLEO,,,, should I go ahead and withdraw? I pretty much need to decide in the next couple days. I was asked to call back and give my decision on what I want to do. If you are accepted at CLEO, is it binding? Do they require a seat deposit paid immediately?

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby maqkitty214 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:17 pm

CLEO requires at least a deposit by Jan 31, unless you are in the low income category which requires payment in full by Jan 31.

Really, if you don't think you'd need the "legal bootcamp" atmosphere, and would rather work, definitely skip it. However, the SSI is the only way to get the $2k a year scholarship. The AIE seminar will give you a $250 travel stipend for a weekend, but no chance for scholly money.

If you read the 2010 thread (or maybe 2009?... I've read far too much) a few people who forwarded their CLEO acceptances to schools got a letter back saying, "Contingent to your completion of CLEO Six Week Summer Institute, we would like to offer you admission..." etc. But I think that was a handful of people. That's kind of what I'm banking on since I'm borderline at a T1 school in my area and hope the SSI will help.

Since you have some T14 acceptances, that might be why they were offering you AIE instead.

It's an expensive gamble for you, especially when they guarantee "an acceptance" not "an acceptance to the one school you really want."

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby mez06 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

So what became of the situation? I just received an email stating to call the CLEO office this Thursday.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

I asked them to still consider me for CLEO and I received my acceptance letter today. I am not sure if I am going to attend. I have till the 11th to pay the first deposit. I appreciate the response maqkitty, I am going to try and dig up that thread. I am leaning towards withdrawing and freeing up a seat for someone else. I wonder what the turn around time is for notifying schools of your acceptance to CLEO and there subsequent contingent offers. If it provided that last boost to put me over the edge at UT, I would be more then ecstatic to attend.

getitdone
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:27 am

Re: Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby getitdone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Yo please withdraw, I could really use your spot... and if you in at a T-10 you are set anyway..

thanks

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Should I withdraw from CLEO?

Postby maqkitty214 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I emailed a scanned copy of the acceptance to the school and got a reply same day stating that it was in my file. I'm in the low income category, so my payment in full is due by Jan 31, the same day SMU (my reach/dream school) releases decisions... so that's rough.

Might as well send the letter to UT and see if they respond. If they don't by the deposit deadline, withdraw and notify UT that you're out for CLEO.

Really, besides it helping with UT, if you don't think it'll help you prep for school, don't spend the time/money and work instead. I have been out of school for awhile, so I'd like the boost (and who can pass up 6 weeks in fabulous Des Moines?)




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest