Community College

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Stickupyoura$$much

Community College

Postby Stickupyoura$$much » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Can anyone elaborate on how attending a community college can affect or harm your ability for admission to certain schools? I know on the flip side for applying to medical school it looks bad when your sciences are taken at community college rather than bigger schools (unless that is a huge rumor). I'm in this position for my own faults throughout high school, but I work full-time and currently have a 3.96 headed towards my four year university this fall. My next question is would you choose the best ranked public university within the state, or the next best alternative after that to maintain a synonymous GPA with less competitiveness. My choices are either UGA or GSU. I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm puerto rican. I'm not asking for placement questions in terms of law school, and I'm not implying my combined GPA will be 3.96 or greater - I'm just asking whether or not they will discriminate against community college applicants.

You may remember my neighbor who posted here a few months back, he was a puerto rican undergrad from GSU while parenting his brother - he got accepted to harvard recently. He also went to community college but his situation is not something he could have prevented on his own. Thanks.

Knock

Re: Community College

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Stickupyoura$$much wrote:Can anyone elaborate on how attending a community college can affect or harm your ability for admission to certain schools? I know on the flip side for applying to medical school it looks bad when your sciences are taken at community college rather than bigger schools (unless that is a huge rumor). I'm in this position for my own faults throughout high school, but I work full-time and currently have a 3.96 headed towards my four year university this fall. My next question is would you choose the best ranked public university within the state, or the next best alternative after that to maintain a synonymous GPA with less competitiveness. My choices are either UGA or GSU. I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm puerto rican. I'm not asking for placement questions in terms of law school, and I'm not implying my combined GPA will be 3.96 or greater - I'm just asking whether or not they will discriminate against community college applicants.

You may remember my neighbor who posted here a few months back, he was a puerto rican undergrad from GSU while parenting his brother - he got accepted to harvard recently. He also went to community college but his situation is not something he could have prevented on his own. Thanks.

It won't at all. Keep your GPA up at the 4 year. Schools really only come into play if they are the top of the top schools, and that is only to give you a positive bump. Attend whatever UG is substantially cheaper, and if there is no significant difference, attend your preference, and if you have no preference, attend the school that is higher ranked.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 pm

i smell smoke

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:02 pm

bostlaw wrote:i smell smoke

+1. Look at his post count and his history. Obvious troll is obvious.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:i smell smoke

+1. Look at his post count and his history. Obvious troll is obvious.

Uhhh...soo...I have this friend, and he got his degree from University of Pheonix, but now he's at Yale and he's one of the editors of something called "law review?" He said that your LSAT and GPA don't matter at Yale, is that true? I have a 4.0 and a 180, btw.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”