Softs question?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
nina09

Softs question?

Postby nina09 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:51 am

At this moment I'm a sophomore and I was wondering what would be some Softs to look into ? As a matter of fact what counts as Soft? Do they have a significant impact?

I think I will end with a 3.68 gpa when I'm done an estimate based on my situation, I don't know if I even estimated correctly. So I will need very strong softs.

My situation

I have to finish a 5 year degree, I'm doing accounting and if I want to take the CPA I need 150 credits , plus I will do a double and get Human resources and possible management that would put with about 166(+?) credits

I have about 2 years to get ready to take the LSAT and apply,my first 2 semester I was doing great but I got lazy in 3 classes that need more time dedicated to study , I don't remember making any homework or reading the book so I got a C in a math class and C's in Physics 1 & physics 2.

My other grades were 6 A's and one B. So my gpa is at the lowest it has ever been , is completely my fault.

I still haven't finish this semester but I already have an A+ and the other ones are undecided but they could go from B -to A.

I currently have a gpa of 3.33 :( , without counting this semester but I don't think if this semester will raise or who knows what if it lowers it.

I'm trying to get them to allow me to retake at least the math one because I know I can get a minimum on a B+ if I actually study but I don't if they will let me.

I don't know how much those C's are going to hold me back but to me they are the end of the world, I have never gotten grades like this before..

Advance classes HS = 6 credits
First semester 15 credits = 6 of those credits C's.
Second semester 15 credits = 3 of those c's

2 year :first semester 16 credits = 3 credits A+ , other undecided but no less than B-.
Second semester 21 credits= theres only one class that could be trouble since everyone that I talks to dropout of the class and retake it. 3 credits.

So I have 36 credits that total to 3.33 and when I finish I will have 52 gpa unknown , leaving me with 114 credits remaining and 12 of those credits worry me.

Mce252

Re: Softs question?

Postby Mce252 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:08 am

Why so much unnecessary information?

Good softs are things that show leadership, intelligence, diversity and writing ability. A lot of things are considered a soft but few are very good softs. Scholarships and honors programs that put you among a small percentage of graduates are good. Leadership positions that show you were completely responsible for something and did well are also good (ie - President of the Engineering Student Research Forum). Being the editor of a student paper or having published articles are good. Practical work experience is good.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 am

Do they have a significant impact?

Yes. They aren't going to get you into school alone but play a significant role in getting you solid letters of recommendation and putting you over an application with similar numbers.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

No softs are not that important in comparison to even a 0.1 change in your gpa... Focus instead on getting a manageable schedule and as many A's as possible... That will help you much more than almost any soft u could get

nina09

Postby nina09 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 am

Mce252 wrote:Why so much unnecessary information?

Good softs are things that show leadership, intelligence, diversity and writing ability. A lot of things are considered a soft but few are very good softs. Scholarships and honors programs that put you among a small percentage of graduates are good. Leadership positions that show you were completely responsible for something and did well are also good (ie - President of the Engineering Student Research Forum). Being the editor of a student paper or having published articles are good. Practical work experience is good.

The information is necessary because I wrote an estimate of a easy reachable goal for a GPA on what I assume I could raise it based on the situation.

The question was on the top part , so you did not have to read the Part That was named " The situation" which entails an account of how I reached that estimate.

Details are important , I would assume a person who study law would like to know how a conclusion is reached so he can make a proper argument or judgement .

I know that by the first semester of the third year , I will raise my gpa to a minimum of 3.50. The other 5 semester is pretty much guessing.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:53 pm

The question was on the top part , so you did not have to read the Part That was named " The situation"

If I didn't need to read it, then you didn't need to write it. See "unnecessary" in your nearest dictionary.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Ya'll are funny. And mce252 is right. None of that shit about classes is necessary to answer your question about softs.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 pm

its the posters first or second time on the TLS board. be easy guys.

To add to everyone else's answer, the Georgetown Director of Admissions gave a great, basic analogy of law school admissions, which is even more fitting for URMs:
Law school admissions are like the high jump in track. The height of the bar is calculated by your LSAT and GPA. Highs in both (ie 177 and 4.0) put the bar really low for the candidate to just step over and get into the particular law school. The lower both of those numbers are, the higher the bar raises for the candidate to jump over and enter the law school. The softs are what give the candidate the extra boost to possibly hurdle the bar that their numbers have set. Great softs = "high jump". Whether you think of the bar being lowered for URMs or diversity as being the extra boost to jump, it still works for the analogy. Softs have the opportunity to be steroids for your application ;)

My advice would be to definitely get good work experience during the summers and if you have time during the school year. Also you can take classes in the summer if you get a chance (summery community college courses raised my LSAC gpa by .1)

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Oh, and I dont know if anyone answered your question about "What are softs".

Softs are anything in your application that is not a "hard number." For the purposes of LS admissions it's everything outside of your GPA/LSAT and can include but isnt limited to things included in your:

Resume: work experience, honors and awards, clubs, scholarships, fellowships, extracurricular activities, languages, community service, athletic achievements, leadership positions
Personal Statement
Diversity Statement
Why X School Statement
Addendum essays

And writing ability is also a soft revealed in all of your statements/essays

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”