1/8 Native American 2.3 gpa 167 LSAT

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
superw

1/8 Native American 2.3 gpa 167 LSAT

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Can I use my Native American to get into law school if it is so low, only 1/8th and I do not practice or act Native American? I would like to get into Columbia but my GPA is terrible and my lsat isn't up to par. How much lien do you think it would give me to get into a T30 or so school, or at least Tier 1?

I am also 1/4 Jewish, very diverse family background, I am from the coal mining hills of Appalachia where a lot of Irish, German and Jewish immigrants came a couple hundred years ago and I have only evidence that one of my great great grandmothers if full Cherokee Indian, and I may be mixed to some other degree but hardly.

Is any of this usable? Or am I a terrible person for trying to do such a thing?

HowdyYall

Re: 1/8 Native American 2.3 gpa 167 LSAT

Postby HowdyYall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 pm

superw wrote:Can I use my Native American to get into law school if it is so low, only 1/8th and I do not practice or act Native American? I would like to get into Columbia but my GPA is terrible and my lsat isn't up to par. How much lien do you think it would give me to get into a T30 or so school, or at least Tier 1?

I am also 1/4 Jewish, very diverse family background, I am from the coal mining hills of Appalachia where a lot of Irish, German and Jewish immigrants came a couple hundred years ago and I have only evidence that one of my great great grandmothers if full Cherokee Indian, and I may be mixed to some other degree but hardly.

terrible person

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:44 pm

superw wrote:Can I use my Native American to get into law school if it is so low, only 1/8th and I do not practice or act Native American? I would like to get into Columbia but my GPA is terrible and my lsat isn't up to par. How much lien do you think it would give me to get into a T30 or so school, or at least Tier 1?

Haha I wouldn't go so far as to call you terrible (hey, the system is what it is), but it sounds like you already know the answer to this.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Wow, I don't think too many people here on TLS would be outraged by your blood quantum, but the way you've framed and phrased these questions is horrible.

I mean, really -----> "Can I use my Native American to get into law school . . . ?"

Come on bro . . .

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Wow, I don't think too many people here on TLS would be outraged by your blood quantum, but the way you've framed and phrased these questions is horrible.

I mean, really -----> "Can I use my Native American to get into law school . . . ?"

Come on bro . . .

lol! I like you.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm

If you truly think that your background has added something to your personality, write a diversity statement on it.

There's a start. Expand.

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm .0000314159265 albino..... discuss.

flame.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Come on bro . . .

lol! I like you.

Thanks.

superw

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Come on bro . . .

Lots of love here, so actually being Native American means nothing I guess. Kind of messed up answers

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 pm

superw wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Come on bro . . .

Lots of love here, so actually being Native American means nothing I guess. Kind of messed up answers

REALLY??? This has got to be a flame.

Sure, being Native American means nothing, you're right. Glad that all got cleared up.

Fuck!!!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:26 pm

superw wrote: Kind of messed up answers

:shock:

superw

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:29 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
superw wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Come on bro . . .

REALLY??? This has got to be a flame.

Sure, being Native American means nothing, you're right. Glad that all got cleared up.

Fuck!!!

This is not a soft about how my background changed or influenced me, this is a racial issue. Native Americans are an underrepresented minority, and I know being 1/8 is not really Cherokee, but there is no representation of the their ethnicity or race in law schools, or not enough and being from an area where there are whole communities of Native American people, it certainly is closer to me than anyone reading this post probably. So being 1/8th isn't good enough, that would have been enough guys...

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Somebody please step in here . . .

If we're reduced to just talking numbers, 1/8th likely is enough.

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:37 pm

I have a question regarding the comment: "and I do not practice or act Native American"

What, exactly, does it mean to "act" Native American?

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:39 pm

QandAphorism wrote:

I have a question regarding the comment: "and I do not practice or act Native American"

Or "practice"?

superw

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:42 pm

QandAphorism wrote:

Not really being immersed in any Native American culture I do not know...that is the issue here, the only correlation I have with Native American people is with those in the area, its not the 1/8th even, it isn't about the number because I know it has qualified but to me this seems more like a racial issue than

Why all the controversy and flaming, 1/8th is Native but only if you speak about it if it means something? Is that what you guys are saying?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:43 pm

I believe Indians have tribal I.D. cards which schools may ask. I've seen it on misc. governmental applications IIRC.

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Also, what value did "I am also 1/4 Jewish" serve in this post/flame? Would it matter if someone considered themselves 1/4 presbyterian, 1/4 baptist, 1/4 scientologist, 1/8 Amish and just a bit Catholic?

Lol - nice flame attempt.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 pm

More important point: Native American or not, those numbers aren't getting you into Columbia.

superw

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:46 pm

QandAphorism wrote:

Also, what value did "I am also 1/4 Jewish" serve in this post/flame? Would it matter if someone considered themselves 1/4 presbyterian, 1/4 baptist, 1/4 scientologist, 1/8 Amish and just a bit Catholic?

Uhh, no. Judaism is an ethnicity. I have a haplotype that is the rarest in the world. I have the rarest DNA in the world.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 pm

HowdyYall wrote:

terrible person

superw

Postby superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 pm

arism87 wrote:More important point: Native American or not, those numbers aren't getting you into Columbia.

Thank you! That is what I wanted to know, and if the numbers mattered if I only had the blood and no cultural connection. Thanks for a fairly normal answer.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I'd say milk it all you can. Hey, if I had a (virtually) arbitrary part of my identification that allowed me to get in to more schools and get better scholarships than 'white' people with the same scores, I'd take full advantage. Seriously, get ahead.

And I agree, Columbia probably isn't realistic anyway.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 pm

superw wrote:
QandAphorism wrote:

Uhh, no. Judaism is an ethnicity. I have a haplotype that is the rarest in the world. I have the rarest DNA in the world.

Nope.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:51 pm

superw wrote:
arism87 wrote:More important point: Native American or not, those numbers aren't getting you into Columbia.

Thank you! That is what I wanted to know, and if the numbers mattered if I only had the blood and no cultural connection. Thanks for a fairly normal answer.

You're not going going to be hard pressed to get into CLS with a 2.3 GPA.

Why do people ask if "X% Native American" is "good enough" to get a URM boost? If you're Native American, then identify yourself as such. If you're not Native American (or Russian or African American or Japanese, or whatever), don't identify yourself as such and move on.

It's one of those, "If you have to ask..."

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”