How much of a boost for AA males? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jgloster

Bronze

How much of a boost for AA males?

Post by jgloster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Hello,

Long story short, I'm an AA male with around a 3.0 GPA at a public uni and scoring around 170 on LSAT practice tests. What are you guys' guesstimates on the "boost"? Will I get into Harvard?

Please take into account that I'm a splitter strongly towards LSAT. Law School Predictor does not take into account ethnicity beyond URM and Law School numbers makes me slightly discouraged (although Ill prolly be good for other T14 schools).

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: How much of a boost for AA males?

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Actually get the 170+ and then come back.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 pm

Since you don't have an LSAT score it's hard to comment. Your score on a practice test doesn't always equal your score on the big day, usually people don't do as well on the actual test. With respect to your GPA schools don't really give that much of a boost to that, mainly just the LSAT. A 3.0 isn't competitive but it's good that you've made the 3.0 threshold. A 3.0 looks a lot better than a 2.9

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:36 am

Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:17 am

jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT).
What's that on the old scale?

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 am

newyorker88 wrote:
jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT).
Well, my math + verbal was a 1520. 800 on the verbal

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 am

newyorker88 wrote:
technically could be a 1600 if writing was his 700 section :P

if you're doing a straight up % conversion, closest score would be 1530

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 am

jgloster wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Well, my math + verbal was a 1520. 800 on the verbal
wow that's pretty sick

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:58 am

OK this is just guessing.

Top five so i'm assuming, no NYU?
Because Nyu would be the easiest. MAybe a 171, 172 would get you in there.

Yale and stanford are out. There is pretty much no way. Yales lowest gpa last year was a 3.4 and stanfords was a 3.1, and i'm sure these people were pretty amazing. And you sound a little entitled which might show in your PS, DS.

Chicago is probably your best bet. You will need a 172+. I think there was a 2.9 172 AA male ivy last year that got close. He had an interview.

Harvard will probably require a 174+ and a lot of luck. softs etc....It probably will not matter if your lsat is higher than 174, you just need that second look.

Columbia- 175+ might get you in.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 am

sophia.olive wrote: Yale and stanford are out. There is pretty much no way. Yales lowest gpa last year was a 3.4 and stanfords was a 3.1, and i'm sure these people were pretty amazing.
Source please?

Edit: I would be willing to go as low as top 25 if I got money. I just prefer top 5 (particularly Harvard and Stanford).

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:09 am

jgloster wrote:
sophia.olive wrote: Yale and stanford are out. There is pretty much no way. Yales lowest gpa last year was a 3.4 and stanfords was a 3.1, and i'm sure these people were pretty amazing.
Source please?
go to their websites lol....
Like I said "a little entitled" won't fly with your numbers, tone it down for you PS and DS.

I would like a source for you SAT... lol

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:12 am

sophia.olive wrote:
jgloster wrote:
Source please?
Like I said "a little entitled" won't fly with your numbers, tone it down for you PS and DS.

I'm entitled? ok...

Any other responses?

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:15 am

jgloster wrote:
Source please?

Edit: I would be willing to go as low as top 25 if I got money. I just prefer top 5 (particularly Harvard and Stanford).
Each school publishes the entering class profiles every year. Go see how your GPA matches up with them. I think you need to either lower your expectations or take a year off and do something interesting or law-related, then apply. You're putting way too much focus on a non-existent LSAT score that might end up being ten points lower than what you think you're going to get. You might end up getting wait listed at Yale even if you crack 170, because they generally don't like anything below 3.7. What are your soft factors? What experience do you have? What kind of law do you want to practice? You have a low gpa...having a "top tier or bust" expectation is kind of wreckless, and I think you should spread it around the top 50 schools if you want to actually get into a program.
Last edited by mpasi on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 am

jgloster wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
jgloster wrote:
Source please?

I'm entitled? ok...
Any other responses?
well yeah. You expect others to do the foot work for you when the information is there on their websites and you think you can go to a top5 with an abysmal gpa because you are black. Thats entitled.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 am

mods?

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 am

Yea, well im graduating next semester but I'll probably work for a year. The feedback has been helpful, thank you...

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:28 am

jgloster wrote:Yea, well im graduating next semester but I'll probably work for a year. The feedback has been helpful, thank you...
If you can pull a 171, 172, you might get UVA for free which I would take over Uchicago. MHO

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 am

sophia.olive wrote: well yeah. You expect others to do the foot work for you when the information is there on their websites and you think you can go to a top5 with an abysmal gpa because you are black. Thats entitled.
^^^***HOLE

I'm not sure what makes OP entitled, asking a question and being black doesn't make you "entitled". He's being optimistic applying to T5 schools not "entitled".

OP, if you really want Harvard try and get a 175+, your GPA is a low for HYS even with URM standards. Just spend a lot of time with the powerscore bibles between now and your exam.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

A GPA of less than 3.0 at a public university for one who scored 2300 on the SAT might raise a red flag of caution for admissions officers if you have a high LSAT score since it shows a waste of intellectual talent due to poor work habits.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
jgloster wrote:
Source please?

Why would you even come to this board? I don't go to the woman board(in my hypothetical TLS-world) and make comments like "ahh stupid inferior women stop your v@g bleeding!"

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm

well, iunno about the reasons why, but OP did come off as entitled to me as well (regardless of race) lol

prob cuz of this statement:
jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.
just because it is prefaced by that statement doesnt mean it isnt bragging lol. he should really get an actual LSAT score first before he gets us all into a guessing game, based solely on a standardized test score that no one asked for. maybe entitled wasnt the right word...but at least a little arrogant or obnoxious. which is fine, i just dont think it should accidentally show in online forums because then there's a good chance it would show in a PS/DS

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

things fall apart wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
jgloster wrote:
Source please?

Why would you even come to this board? I don't go to the woman board(in my hypothetical TLS-world) and make comments like "ahh stupid inferior women stop your v@g bleeding!"
lol Im the only one who gave him solid advice with reasons why. Don't be so sensitive, it is not about being black.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:well, iunno about the reasons why, but OP did come off as entitled to me as well (regardless of race) lol

prob cuz of this statement:
jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.
just because it is prefaced by that statement doesnt mean it isnt bragging lol. he should really get an actual LSAT score first before he gets us all into a guessing game, based solely on a standardized test score that no one asked for. maybe entitled wasnt the right word...but at least a little arrogant or obnoxious. which is fine, i just dont think it should accidentally show in online forums because then there's a good chance it would show in a PS/DS
Thank you. Sorry I wasnt just lolly molly. I thought I gave him a realistic picture. And I was already proud of myself for not just saying "take the lsat and come back." I guess when he responded with "evidence" when all of this info is on the schools page on this web-cite i got annoyed. I mean come on you bother mentioning what you got on the SAT and you will only go to a top 5 school but you can't click on the school in the rankings and find out all of this information.

Instead of trying to sound as sexist as possible to offend me maybe you should give the OP helpful information which I actual did, unlike you.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

OP, generally no one is going to like or help someone who says they only want to go to law school if they can get into a top 5, but then only has a bad GPA and a potential LSAT score to prove they want it. I wish you luck, but think about what that says about you. (if you slay the LSAT, come back and you will have earned the help)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”