How much of a boost for AA males? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Re: How much of a boost for AA males?

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:49 pm

This thread is treading in murky waters. OP, honestly it is really simple. Murder the LSAT. Write great statements, get glowing LORs, and apply from Harvard on down and see what happens.

And make sure you apply to all these schools in September, October latest for the best shot with that GPA. Best of luck to you.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:well, iunno about the reasons why, but OP did come off as entitled to me as well (regardless of race) lol

prob cuz of this statement:
jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.
just because it is prefaced by that statement doesnt mean it isnt bragging lol. he should really get an actual LSAT score first before he gets us all into a guessing game, based solely on a standardized test score that no one asked for. maybe entitled wasnt the right word...but at least a little arrogant or obnoxious. which is fine, i just dont think it should accidentally show in online forums because then there's a good chance it would show in a PS/DS
Thank you. Sorry I wasnt just lolly molly. I thought I gave him a realistic picture. And I was already proud of myself for not just saying "take the lsat and come back." I guess when he responded with "evidence" when all of this info is on the schools page on this web-cite i got annoyed. I mean come on you bother mentioning what you got on the SAT and you will only go to a top 5 school but you can't click on the school in the rankings and find out all of this information.

Instead of trying to sound as sexist as possible to offend me maybe you should give the OP helpful information which I actual did, unlike you.
lol not to be picky, but im going to assume the last statement is not directed towards me at all hahaha

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:well, iunno about the reasons why, but OP did come off as entitled to me as well (regardless of race) lol

prob cuz of this statement:
jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.
just because it is prefaced by that statement doesnt mean it isnt bragging lol. he should really get an actual LSAT score first before he gets us all into a guessing game, based solely on a standardized test score that no one asked for. maybe entitled wasnt the right word...but at least a little arrogant or obnoxious. which is fine, i just dont think it should accidentally show in online forums because then there's a good chance it would show in a PS/DS
Thank you. Sorry I wasnt just lolly molly. I thought I gave him a realistic picture. And I was already proud of myself for not just saying "take the lsat and come back." I guess when he responded with "evidence" when all of this info is on the schools page on this web-cite i got annoyed. I mean come on you bother mentioning what you got on the SAT and you will only go to a top 5 school but you can't click on the school in the rankings and find out all of this information.

Instead of trying to sound as sexist as possible to offend me maybe you should give the OP helpful information which I actual did, unlike you.
lol not to be picky, but im going to assume the last statement is not directed towards me at all hahaha
oops, no :oops:

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: lol not to be picky, but im going to assume the last statement is not directed towards me at all hahaha
oops, no :oops:
lol see its these ambiguous comments that are really throwing me off! :P

ps - sry for totally derailing the thread now

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:
sophia.olive wrote: well yeah. You expect others to do the foot work for you when the information is there on their websites and you think you can go to a top5 with an abysmal gpa because you are black. Thats entitled.
^^^***HOLE

I'm not sure what makes OP entitled, asking a question and being black doesn't make you "entitled". He's being optimistic applying to T5 schools not "entitled".

OP, if you really want Harvard try and get a 175+, your GPA is a low for HYS even with URM standards. Just spend a lot of time with the powerscore bibles between now and your exam.
Thank you. I'm not assuming anything except that I have decent chances based on what I've been told in the past and what I've seen on Law school numbers. I actually wasn't being entitled/arrogant at all, but whatever. I probably won't take the LSAT for another few months, so I have plenty of time to get above 175 if need be.

BTW, most of the feedback has been helpful so far, thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Did your research on lawschoolnumbers.com show URMs with 3.0 or lower GPAs being admitted to Harvard ?

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Did your research on lawschoolnumbers.com show URMs with 3.0 or lower GPAs being admitted to Harvard ?
No, not for Yale or Stanford either. But the stats of every single person that has ever applied are not on law school numbers, so came here looking for more answers.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Although I am not certain, it will be very difficult for one with a 3.0 or lower GPA to get into a top 5 law school regardless of LSAT score unless due to a formerly undiagnosed learning disorder or other unusually severe hardship.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:33 pm

jgloster wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Did your research on lawschoolnumbers.com show URMs with 3.0 or lower GPAs being admitted to Harvard ?
No, not for Yale or Stanford either. But the stats of every single person that has ever applied are not on law school numbers, so came here looking for more answers.

Go to the schools' sites and look at the class profiles. That is where you will find the information you're seeking.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 pm

jgloster wrote: Thank you. I'm not assuming anything except that I have decent chances based on what I've been told in the past and what I've seen on Law school numbers. I actually wasn't being entitled/arrogant at all, but whatever. I probably won't take the LSAT for another few months, so I have plenty of time to get above 175 if need be.

BTW, most of the feedback has been helpful so far, thanks.
Honestly getting a >171 is your only shot at Harvard with that GPA. From the data I've looked at, as a URM you should try to be in the medians of at least one of the factors to have a secure shot. So my advice is, work your ass off until you take the LSAT and get the best score you can. Maybe take some fluff classes next semester to bring up that GPA. If you really want Harvard, you can make it happen, even if you have to add another semester to raise the GPA.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote: Honestly getting a >171 is your only shot at Harvard with that GPA. From the data I've looked at, as a URM you should try to be in the medians of at least one of the factors to have a secure shot. So my advice is, work your ass off until you take the LSAT and get the best score you can. Maybe take some fluff classes next semester to bring up that GPA. If you really want Harvard, you can make it happen, even if you have to add another semester to raise the GPA.
Actually, because of where his GPA is at, I'm slightly more inclined to go w/ s.olive's numbers, assuming the SLS, YLS, and UChi numbers she posted on pg. 1 were accurate. OP should try to shoot for highest score possible, maybe 174+ for HLS.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote: Honestly getting a >171 is your only shot at Harvard with that GPA. From the data I've looked at, as a URM you should try to be in the medians of at least one of the factors to have a secure shot. So my advice is, work your ass off until you take the LSAT and get the best score you can. Maybe take some fluff classes next semester to bring up that GPA. If you really want Harvard, you can make it happen, even if you have to add another semester to raise the GPA.
Actually, because of where his GPA is at, I'm slightly more inclined to go w/ s.olive's numbers, assuming the SLS, YLS, and UChi numbers she posted on pg. 1 were accurate. OP should try to shoot for highest score possible, maybe 174+ for HLS.
Yeah there's no difference between aiming for a 172 and a 174 lol

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 am

sophia.olive wrote:
things fall apart wrote:
sophia.olive wrote: Why would you even come to this board? I don't go to the woman board(in my hypothetical TLS-world) and make comments like "ahh stupid inferior women stop your v@g bleeding!"
lol Im the only one who gave him solid advice with reasons why. Don't be so sensitive, it is not about being black.
Sophia, I will break this down so even your bumpersticker level thought process can comprehend this.

(fwiw I was actually initially on your side because the OP did come off douchy in his tone. But by tossing an offensive statement back thats like saying "well the guy was poor and thus didnt work or contribute to society so I had the right to call him a P.o.S. carpetbagger)

If it were as simple as going to the school website, then a site like this wouldnt exist. Don't act like making a broad statement masks your underlying message. People everyday here claim that their prestigious UG make up for their lower GPA, or multiple unpaid internships(which for 80% of college students isnt economically feasible) pad their resume in similar tinges of entitlement, yet these go unnoticed because they do not stem from the: black-->afirm action--->lower traditional stats = "unduly entitled" narrative that you are trying to paint.

And so what if he is bragging about his SAT scores in the absence of a LSAT score? You can't possibly claim that he got a special "entitlement" SAT that you didnt get because you two lived the same life but his skin happened to be different when you both arrived at the SAT testing building. What if he were asking investors to invest in his startup, and his only other evidence to success was a previous company that brought in tons of $$$ of revenue?

Yeah sure you didn't say "come back after testing", but how many times do you see the "I got a parking ticket do I need to disclose" or "T1 sticker or T3 full scholly" or "If I want to practice in LA, should I go to higher ranked Iowa or lower ranked Loyola LA"
Along with his thread, there is not much research needed yet they are brought up time after time.

Finally, he was not questioning the merit of the AA boost, nor was he bitching that he didnt recieve it. I can not reasonably believe his responses and tone were equivalent to the same old anti AA rhetoric you repeatedly spewed on the URM board in a URM thread. So like I said, I don't go to the woman board of TLS and enter a thread to hammer out "Stupid ****ing women, the only way you get promotions is from being on your knees or marrying rich"

EDIT: Ill make this response shorter: I did not answer his question because I do not know the answer. I have been here for close to 1.5 years, have gone through the process, admitted to some schools and denied to others. I suppose I could give him some offensively lackadaisical advice but then I'd be that douche who hides behind their keyboards to take shots at people they would never dare in real life. (see what I did there?)

ps I know my response was way more then needed but I'm right and thus 8) lol
Last edited by things fall apart on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:55 am

things fall apart wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
things fall apart wrote:
sophia.olive wrote: Why would you even come to this board? I don't go to the woman board(in my hypothetical TLS-world) and make comments like "ahh stupid inferior women stop your v@g bleeding!"
lol Im the only one who gave him solid advice with reasons why. Don't be so sensitive, it is not about being black.
Sophia, I will break this down so even your bumpersticker level thought process can comprehend this.

(fwiw I was actually initially on your side because the OP did come off douchy in his tone. But by tossing an offensive statement back thats like saying "well the guy was poor and thus didnt work or contribute to society so I had the right to call him a P.o.S. carpetbagger)

If it were as simple as going to the school website, then a site like this wouldnt exist. Don't act like making a broad statement masks your underlying message. People everyday here claim that their prestigious UG make up for their lower GPA, or multiple unpaid internships(which for 80% of college students isnt economically feasible) pad their resume in similar tinges of entitlement, yet these go unnoticed because they do not stem from the: black-->afirm action--->lower traditional stats = "unduly entitled" narrative that you are trying to paint.

And so what if he is bragging about his SAT scores in the absence of a LSAT score? You can't possibly claim that he got a special "entitlement" SAT that you didnt get because you two lived the same life but his skin happened to be different when you both arrived at the SAT testing building. What if he were asking investors to invest in his startup, and his only other evidence to success was a previous company that brought in tons of $$$ of revenue?

Yeah sure you didn't say "come back after testing", but how many times do you see the "I got a parking ticket do I need to disclose" or "T1 sticker or T3 full scholly" or "If I want to practice in LA, should I go to higher ranked Iowa or lower ranked Loyola LA"
Along with his thread, there is not much research needed yet they are brought up time after time.

Finally, he was not questioning the merit of the AA boost, nor was he bitching that he didnt recieve it. I can not reasonably believe his responses and tone were equivalent to the same old anti AA rhetoric you repeatedly spewed on the URM board in a URM thread. So like I said, I don't go to the woman board of TLS and enter a thread to hammer out "Stupid ****ing women, the only way you get promotions is from being on your knees or marrying rich"

lol you are crazy :shock: I guess you must have had a lot of issues growing up. Take care of yourself.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 am

sophia.olive wrote:
things fall apart wrote:

lol you are crazy :shock: I guess you must have had a lot of issues growing up. Take care of yourself.
No actually I'm just a bit bored at work, I figured the typing noise makes me look busy though :lol: on the contrary I'm having the time of my life and I'm going to Spain for New Years so I can't complain. Nice try though

iWayneState

New

Post by iWayneState » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 am

Apply as a Caucasian and see how "grown" you are. Otherwise, STFU and do not rely on race or douchery to get into LS.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 am

iWayneState wrote:Apply as a Caucasian and see how "grown" you are. Otherwise, STFU and do not rely on race or douchery to get into LS.
See now you attracted the actual anti-boost people.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 am

iWayneState wrote:Apply as a Caucasian and see how "grown" you are. Otherwise, STFU and do not rely on race or douchery to get into LS.
A new version of the White Man's Burden...

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 am

You guys need to learn to play nice in here. Or expect a ban.

Also, OP, with a 3.0 GPA, that may be too low even if you get a 174+

I know an AA guy in HLS, and he got in with a 174/3.2 but he had serious work experience too.

Just do the best you can on the LSAT and hope for the best. If things don't work out, you'll probably end up at NYU or Columbia or a full ride in the T14. And, I sincerely doubt anyone would be disappointed with such an outcome.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:22 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You guys need to learn to play nice in here. Or expect a ban.

I know an AA guy in HLS, and he got in with a 174/3.2 but he had serious work experience too.

Just do the best you can on the LSAT and hope for the best. If things don't work out, you'll probably end up at NYU or Columbia or a full ride in the T14. And, I sincerely doubt anyone would be disappointed with such an outcome.
See this is what i mean, always trying to censor the strong voice! This is why theres a boost- to get the word out!!!

Gaia if there were a picture of you on here I'd be obligated to draw the Adolf mustache on it just to demonstrate how you represent the third reich since we disagree over something

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Yeah there's no difference between aiming for a 172 and a 174 lol
point was what score he should prob need at least for a decent shot at HLS, and 171+ wouldnt do it imo

not about how he should practice -- should always aim for the highest, just thought your assessment wasnt as accurate

mcdad

New

Post by mcdad » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:20 am

OP, another way to rephrase the question is: Why would you only want to go to a law school where both your GPA and LSAT would put you at the lower end of the class for three years when at a slightly lower ranked school you could make law review? It sounds like a recipe for misery.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am

WOW this thread became funny as hell...
mcdad wrote:OP, another way to rephrase the question is: Why would you only want to go to a law school where both your GPA and LSAT would put you at the lower end of the class for three years when at a slightly lower ranked school you could make law review? It sounds like a recipe for misery.
Well, if I do as I expect to do on the LSAT, I actually won't be at the lower end in that respect for schools outside of the top 5. I might reevaluate my preferences as far as what law school I go to.

As far as GPA, I just didn't give a shit about grades. Hopefully that'll change in law school. If not, maybe I can go to a school with blind grading (any like that besides Yale? lol)

And far as being entitled, I see where you guys are going with this and I ask GET OFF MY FUCKING THREAD! I was mainly originally asking about the male AA boost relative to the boost for other URMs, but everyone seemed to get angry for one reason or another and took my thread off track THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! law school predictor didn't seem to give AA males an option.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:27 pm

jgloster wrote:WOW this thread became funny as hell...
mcdad wrote:OP, another way to rephrase the question is: Why would you only want to go to a law school where both your GPA and LSAT would put you at the lower end of the class for three years when at a slightly lower ranked school you could make law review? It sounds like a recipe for misery.
Well, if I do as I expect to do on the LSAT, I actually won't be at the lower end in that respect for schools outside of the top 5. I might reevaluate my preferences as far as what law school I go to.

As far as GPA, I just didn't give a shit about grades. Hopefully that'll change in law school. If not, maybe I can go to a school with blind grading (any like that besides Yale? lol)

And far as being entitled, I see where you guys are going with this and I ask GET OFF MY FUCKING THREAD! I was mainly originally asking about the male AA boost relative to the boost for other URMs, but everyone seemed to get angry for one reason or another and took my thread off track THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! law school predictor didn't seem to give AA males an option.
tbf, the entitled thing, like i said, is fine...you just dont want it to show in your application process. that is sort of honest/hopefully helpful advice. if you're made more aware of it (i.e. what comments come off that way) than you were before, that'd benefit you right?

and i think all schools blind grade...but ill assume you mean a non-letter grade system. in that case, Yale is at the forefront, w/ Stanford and Harvard and Berkeley somewhat close (they generally have a high pass/pass/low pass kinda system going on). though depending on which school you're in, straight passes doesnt necessarily mean you're still set for life lol.

while LSAT is the best predictor of law school 1L performance, it is a far cry from being a GOOD predictor. LSAT + GPA is an even better predictor, though still not great. tbh, law school grading is a little random, so i would never say i would be in the bottom of HLS, but definitely in the top of UPenn. when schools are that close in rank, it really is up in the air as it comes down to 1 exam for that 1 class and what that professor wants to give you. sometimes it feels somewhat random lol. either way, i wouldnt assume up or down at a school based purely on a LSAT score.

also, law school is a lot of work, so keep that in mind if you're work adverse when it comes to daily amounts of work (i.e. cant cram day before exam in law school...have to put in the time throughout the semester, kind of like a job).

as for your original question, male AA's prob get the best URM boost possible (iunno how it works w/ native americans, so few of them apply every yr that there is a ridiculously small sample pool)...now the point others were bringing up is that w/ your GPA, the boost may not be enough to get you into T3 (T6 still possible, but LSAT needs to be mid to high 170s imo).

ps - try to be a little less insufferable

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 pm

things fall apart wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You guys need to learn to play nice in here. Or expect a ban.

See this is what i mean, always trying to censor the strong voice! This is why theres a boost- to get the word out!!!

Gaia if there were a picture of you on here I'd be obligated to draw the Adolf mustache on it just to demonstrate how you represent the third reich since we disagree over something
are you even being serious? or are you purposely creating this laughable persona? telling everyone to not get too off subject or offensive is not really censorship of a strong voice. i mean, i could apply your logic then in a bunch of perverse ways (but ill refrain from doing so).

im starting to think you're just a flame lol.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”