Bisexual? Or more like Bi-Lame?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ClancyTom

Bisexual? Or more like Bi-Lame?

Postby ClancyTom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:12 am

Hey,

Haven't written a diversity statement for any of my applications, because I was thinking LGBT isn't that "special" anyway. Buttttt, as a bisexual... I was thinking maybe a lot of universities get a lot of "gay" or "lesbian" apps, but not a lot of "bisexual" diversity statements. Thoughts? Do you think it's more "unique" or more "helpful" to your app?

Cool. Thanks. K. Bye

Moxie

Re: Bisexual? Or more like Bi-Lame?

Postby Moxie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:26 am

I only have anecdotal evidence to base it on (a bi friend of mine went through last year's cycle and wrote a DS). He got in where he expected, and didn't where he was reaching. It didn't do much for him, and I would assume it wouldn't do much for anyone since it's not easily proven.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 am

What do you mean... not easily proven?

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:33 am

Isn't everyone bi-sexual?

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 am

It's pretty hard to "prove" that you are gay or lesbian on paper or really even in life (read: Katy Perry kisses girls but only for fun right?). It's one of those traits that you can "pass" with if you choose. There are quotes around these words because this is not necessarily the reality of life for some people.

Saying you are bisexual may come off to an uninformed person as "I'm not really gay but I can say I am for this application and it will help me". For what seem like obvious reasons to me, this isn't likely to happen, but I'm not the one admitting people.

I don't want to start a controversy of people saying that I'm being a biased jerk so I'll try to keep this short. I am an out lesbian and included that fact in my PS and a DS to certain schools. Is someone going to look at my file and ask themselves "I wonder if this girl is lying?" Probably not, but it could happen. Is that question more likely to come up if someone claims to be bisexual? Knowing what I do about my friends experiences regarding their bisexuality, yes, the question seems more likely to come up. Somehow bisexuality is fake in comparison to true homosexuality. This is an outdated and untrue idea but it still exists.

My advice: come out in your application if you'd like but don't expect a significant boost from it. It's likely not worth an extra LSAT point or anything of that nature, but in the off chance that someone who reads your application and identifies with you for any multitude of reasons, it could certainly help.

Good luck!

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 am

First of all, enter the ninja die antwoord.

I guess you could say everyone is bisexual in the sense that sexuality is on a continuum, and even the most gay or the most straight might have inclinations towards the other side at some point, however rare.

That said, very very few people identify themselves as bisexual, and very few people say or claim themselves ot be genuinely evenly attracted to both sexes. Even though sexuality is a continuum like I mentioned, both gay and straight people typically identify strongly with one or the other, and even build their social habits, circle of friends, sense of community around that.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:43 am

Yea, I guess if there's a chance someone might think i'm lying, or naively think i'm just confused--then maybe it's smart just not to mention it at all.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 am

DieAntwoord wrote:Isn't everyone bi-sexual?

If this is serious, then yes, virtually everyone probably is technically attracted to both/multiple sexes/genders. The vast majority of people do not act upon this, however, and I would venture to say that the OP is someone who at least actively seeks some form of homosexual activity, sexual or otherwise. This would set him/her apart from most people and could be taken as some form of diversity. I think that was the point.

If this was a flame...the above response is still true.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 am

Sexuality helps for a PS/soft factor when you tie it into an experience that shapes you. It's not something that helps in a vacuum, nor is it something that helps when you portray it as a cliche.

My entire PS was based off my sexuality, and I did quite well. I know other GLBT folks who had better numbers and didn't get into what folks would consider reaches. I think that some people think GLBT status will carry them when it really provides a boost similar to an interesting life story; it simply, in general, makes that interesting life story more likely.

Focus on ways your bisexuality has intrinsically affected you, or your opportunities, or your outlook, if you'd like it to provide a tangible benefit. I think a particularly good angle that is under-utilized is the ways in which bisexuals (sadly) are ostracized within the GLBT community. It's something that's under-studied, but also remains implicitly under-discussed amongst gay and straight people alike.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about weaving GLBT issues into your PS (or treating them as the focal point of your statement). I'd be happy to help a bit, if I can!

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 am

I'd make the determination about whether to write this based on whether or not you have anything interesting to say about it, frankly. "HAY GUYZ, IM BISEXUAL" won't make for a terribly compelling DS, but something more thoughtful might be good. It certainly won't HURT your app, unless you're applying to Regent, in which case I recommend making your DS as explicit as humanly possible and posting the reaction on TLS.

MikeNorec

Postby MikeNorec » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 am

What about transsexual's applying to law schools? Or those who felt as if they were minorities because no one else agreed the holocaust never occurred?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 am

I like to mow my yard on Wednesdays with hand scissors. Should I write a diversity statement on this?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

What about transsexual's applying to law schools? Or those who felt as if they were minorities because no one else agreed the holocaust never occurred?

Well I would say you're in the same boat as the guy applying to a nuclear engineering program with a diversity statement on Islamic radicalism.

MikeNorec

Postby MikeNorec » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 am

Mce252 wrote:

Well I would say you're in the same boat as the guy applying to a nuclear engineering program with a diversity statement on Islamic radicalism.

Why so serious?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 am

Well you did indirectly imply that you might be among a group of people that believe the Holocaust did not happen...

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 am

MikeNorec wrote:What about transsexual's applying to law schools? Or those who felt as if they were minorities because no one else agreed the holocaust never occurred?

good one. holocaust jokes are sooo good. did you hear about the obamacare death panels too?

MikeNorec

Postby MikeNorec » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am

kwais wrote:
MikeNorec wrote:What about transsexual's applying to law schools? Or those who felt as if they were minorities because no one else agreed the holocaust never occurred?

good one. holocaust jokes are sooo good. did you hear about the obamacare death panels too?

Yeah, yeah - I heard those as well! Did you hear the bisexual, bi-lame ones too?

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 am

MikeNorec wrote:
kwais wrote:

Yeah, yeah - I heard those as well! Did you hear the bisexual, bi-lame ones too?

no, because Glenn Beck hasn't written about it yet. can't wait though

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 am

holocaust jokes are sooo good.

I hope you never plan to do anything that would cause a journalist to investigate your moral character. Why would you type that in a public forum online?

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 am

........... and I don't want to go to law school.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 am

Mce252 wrote:
holocaust jokes are sooo good.

I hope you never plan to do anything that would cause a journalist to investigate your moral character. Why would you type that in a public forum online?

I'll take my chances with sarcasm. Plus, despite many TLSers greatest hopes, this is one thread on a website that 99.9999999% of the world doesn't give a shit about about. Of those who know about it, only about 30 think that it is an important part of life. The digital generation is convinced that every word they write online is of critical importance to the CIA, the NSA and all the journalists who are foaming at the mouth to ruin their future political careers. Not the case.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:35 am

I'll take my chances with sarcasm. Plus, despite many TLSers greatest hopes, this is one thread on a website that 99.9999999% of the world doesn't give a shit about about. Of those who know about it, only about 30 think that it is an important part of life. The digital generation is convinced that every word they write online is of critical importance to the CIA, the NSA and all the journalists who are foaming at the mouth to ruin their future political careers. Not the case.

:wink:

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:24 am

What about people who get banned for trolling law school forums?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:51 am

SBL wrote:

:lol:

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SBL wrote:

:lol:

Oh. I get it now.

In my opinion, you shouldn't write a bisexual DS. That's because I don't think an applicant should do anything to make it seem like they're coming off saying 'help me because I've had a harder life than most.' It would be an immediate turn-off for me if I were reading that.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”