Mentioning Mixed Ancestry in DS Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Mentioning Mixed Ancestry in DS

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:10 am

Even though I identify as AA, I'm part non-URM. I briefly discuss my non-URM heritage in my DS. Would referring to my mixed ancestry in my DS conflict with the fact that I've identified as only AA with lsac?

timmna

Silver

Re: Mentioning Mixed Ancestry in DS

Post by timmna » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Even though I identify as AA, I'm part non-URM. I briefly discuss my non-URM heritage in my DS. Would referring to my mixed ancestry in my DS conflict with the fact that I've identified as only AA with lsac?
Nope. I am/did the same. Still have marked AA all my life, and never felt it conflicted.

Raramuri415

New

Post by Raramuri415 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 am

I marked both AA/white on my applications. Do you think that gives me less of a "boost" for lack of a better term?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:56 am

timmna wrote:
Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Even though I identify as AA, I'm part non-URM. I briefly discuss my non-URM heritage in my DS. Would referring to my mixed ancestry in my DS conflict with the fact that I've identified as only AA with lsac?
Nope. I am/did the same. Still have marked AA all my life, and never felt it conflicted.
Good to know! It Gracias.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 am

Very interesting, Im a zebra and I never thought of myself as anything other than black. For me its how im viewed by others and it is what makes me different from the people around me. My mother is white/foreign and hardly speaks english so i should derive a lot of my diversity from her but i dont.

I dont see how you won't mention both in your DS; it is part of your diversity, being mixed.

bkbkbk

New

Post by bkbkbk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Very interesting, Im a zebra and I never thought of myself as anything other than black. For me its how im viewed by others and it is what makes me different from the people around me. My mother is white/foreign and hardly speaks english so i should derive a lot of my diversity from her but i dont.

I dont see how you won't mention both in your DS; it is part of your diversity, being mixed.
Very similar story for me as well. I mentioned my mixed heritage in my DS and received some surprising offers given my lackluster LSAT administration.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”