How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Raramuri415

How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered?

Postby Raramuri415 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:02 am

If you are half URM (i.e. latino/AA) and half caucasian, how do you think this is viewed by schools vs. an applicant who is 100% of one URM race?

AreJay711

Re: How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:25 am

Raramuri415 wrote:If you are half URM (i.e. latino/AA) and half caucasian, how do you think this is viewed by schools vs. an applicant who is 100% of one URM race?

I'm sure it is about the same as a "full URM". This is a little cynical but they may be double siced because on their stat sheets they could double count your minority heritage.

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 am

I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 am

Mustard Blood wrote:I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?

Are you serious?

You should be writing a diversity statement anyways........

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 am

DieAntwoord wrote:
Mustard Blood wrote:I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?

Are you serious?

You should be writing a diversity statement anyways........

Um, yeah. I didn't mean to sound retarded.

That makes sense. Thanks.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:23 am

No negative ramifications, self-identify as both.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”