How many NA's out there applying this cycle?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
serdog

Re: How many NA's out there applying this cycle?

Postby serdog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Cograds on making the right Choice. 1) better area of interest and 2) money are good reason to pick a school. Enjoy Minnesota.

and I'm IN @ UVIC and tying to pick between it and UBC,

Batfink55

Postby Batfink55 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Has anyone heard from Columbia or Cornell yet? I'm getting radio silence. Granted, I applied the last day of the deadline so I'm really not in a positive to get antsy.

With all this talk of Cornell, I wanted to chime in and say I'm a Native American female who completed my undergrad at Cornell and I couldn't imagine a kinder or more supportive environment--for Native and non Native students alike. I adore Cornell.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Batfink55 wrote:Has anyone heard from Columbia or Cornell yet? I'm getting radio silence. Granted, I applied the last day of the deadline so I'm really not in a positive to get antsy.

With all this talk of Cornell, I wanted to chime in and say I'm a Native American female who completed my undergrad at Cornell and I couldn't imagine a kinder or more supportive environment--for Native and non Native students alike. I adore Cornell.

I got WLed ("reserved") at Columbia like a month after I went complete (which is awesome for my numbers, so there really is a major NA boost). I withdrew from Cornell because I knew I wouldn't end up there (too expensive and I loved UMN), but I submitted in December and didn't even go complete until mid-March.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Batfink55 wrote:Has anyone heard from Columbia or Cornell yet? I'm getting radio silence. Granted, I applied the last day of the deadline so I'm really not in a positive to get antsy.

I was placed on reserve at Columbia a week ago after going complete in early February. Static on the Cornell front though.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Static at Both but almost sure I'm going to UVIC regardless :P it to great to pass up

Nightrunner wrote:Congratulations! Enjoy John Borrows - he's kind of a badass.

Agreed, the fact he is the chair of the aboriginal law program at UVIC, help push me to UVIC.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Just to reaffirm traditional TLS advice, if you are NDN and have a card, you still need to write a diversity statement about.

I'm anecdotal evidence but I'm a registered Cherokee from Oklahoma with 90% or up LSAT and I didn't get any schools where I wasn't at least a few points above their LSAT medians.

My cycle played out exactly like law-school-predictor said it would when I ran it with no URM boost.

FWIW.

northwestgirl

Postby northwestgirl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Hello all,
Since my cycle is pretty much over I thought I would chime in.
3.6/155 I’m an enrolled tribal member and definitely believe that my personal statement/tribal background helped my application stand out despite of my average numbers. My PS highlighted my Native culture so I did not submit any additional diversity statement(s).

In
Hastings ($)
UC Boulder
Arizona ($$$$)
Seattle ($$$$)
Lewis and Clark ($$)
MSU ($$$$)

WL
UW

Waiting
UCLA
Cornell

Congratulations to everyone! Always proud and inspired to see successful Natives out there doing great for themselves and their communities - best wishes to you all.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 pm

For those waiting for Columbia, bear in mind admissions there is really slow. Columbia is one of the only schools that gives every application two full reads no matter what. Even a 2.0/140 will get two full reads. With 9000 applications it can take a while.

Don't give up hope.

llama11

Postby llama11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Hope I'm not going too off-topic here but an interesting read and an issue that Natives across the spectrum will feel different about.

http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.co ... antum.html

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:23 pm

kjadkins wrote:Withdrew from all of my schools except UMN (accepted with $35k/year), WUSTL (still waiting) and Cornell (still waiting).

I'm still staying in the running for WUSTL, but it would take a LOT from them to sway me from UMN.

I have such mixed feelings about Cornell right now. I just looked at their tuition and such (yeah, a little late in the cycle to be considering this, but I didn't really expect to get in anyway)... it's outrageously expensive. Based on LSN and what I've read on the Cornell thread, their highest merit-based award is $30K/year, and I know I won't qualify for need-based aid (which sucks, because my parents aren't contributing a dime to my law school education). IF I even got that (by some divine miracle), it'd still leave me with $23k/year in tuition, PLUS living expenses, books, etc. I'm extremely debt-averse, so this number seems DAUNTING considering that there's a possibility that I could graduate from UMN with less than $60,000 in debt if I play my cards right (I have some money in savings I plan to use to cut down on my loan estimates, and I'm also considering looking at a TA position for 2L and 3L, which at UMN gets you an in-state tuition waiver). I just don't know how much more debt I'm willing to take on to go to a better-ranked school. I know Cornell has so much more to offer in the way of prestige and name-dropping, and I'm sure they have a wider representation at OCI, but I think I'll still have some fantastic opportunities at UMN too. They also really wowed me at ASW, I know I'd be happy there.

Sorry for the long vent. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. If I get accepted at Cornell (especially with money), this is going to be the hardest decision I've ever made. (On the flip side, if they keep lollygagging over at admissions and don't let me know something by mid-April, I won't have a choice, I'll already be looking for an apartment in Minneapolis).

If you wouldn't take Cornell with a 30k scholly, then I would withdraw. In your case, I don't think Cornell helps you more than UMN. Congrats on UMN!

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Just got an apartment in Minneapolis. :) So excited to finally get out there, even more excited to start classes in the fall.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

kjadkins wrote:Just got an apartment in Minneapolis. :) So excited to finally get out there, even more excited to start classes in the fall.

Feel free to PM me and I'll put you in touch with the Minnesota NALSA members. All very cool, fun, and interesting people. Definitely a great crowd to get to be in school with.

serdog

Postby serdog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 am

thrillhouse wrote:For those waiting for Columbia, bear in mind admissions there is really slow. Columbia is one of the only schools that gives every application two full reads no matter what. Even a 2.0/140 will get two full reads.

Agreed I just made the reserve group with a 3.2 159 :shock:

Batfink55

Postby Batfink55 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Congrats, Serdog!

I haven't heard anything from any of my schools except Penn. Not a surprise, considering I submitted my apps the last possible day for every programme, but I am keen to see how others are getting on.

northwestgirl

Postby northwestgirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Are any of you guys going to PLSI this summer?

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 am

Were any of the applicants in this thread admitted to Columbia, or are we all still on Reserve?

serdog

Postby serdog » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Still waiting, however I also a week away from finishing a Canadian program for First year Property, so I unlikely to go at anyrate

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:Were any of the applicants in this thread admitted to Columbia, or are we all still on Reserve?

I emailed them and told them I wanted to stay on the Reserve list right after they emailed me, but a couple of weeks ago they emailed me and basically said "since we haven't received a response we're assuming you're withdrawing from the WL". I didn't intend to withdraw, I was gonna stick it out until the end, but it's not the end of the world. I've already moved to Minnesota. Lol.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:36 pm

I wrote in my diversity statement that I've wanted to be a lawyer ever since I found out that Sioux is pronounced "sue".

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm

lawgod wrote:I wrote in my diversity statement that I've wanted to be a lawyer ever since I found out that Sioux is pronounced "sue".

Clever.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Formally rejected by Columbia still I'm going to the best small law school in Canada so idk :P

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”