How many NA's out there applying this cycle?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Anon NA

How many NA's out there applying this cycle?

Postby Anon NA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Just curious to see how many Native American applicants are out there on TLS. I could only find a couple on LSN, so I thought I would throw this out there to see if there are more that just haven't been very active on the forums or on LSN.

If you are 100% NA, partial NA with tribal ID, partial NA without tribal ID, or some other combination, chime in!

Good luck to all in the application process!

Magi228

Re: How many NA's out there applying this cycle?

Postby Magi228 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 pm

I am partial Native American and part Mexican American, but I only identified as Mexican American. Unfortunately, I am not tribally registered and have no actual connections or exposure to NA culture, so I felt it would be somewhat dishonest to claim Native American identification.

Good luck to you though! I am a huge fan of attempting to get more Native Americans in higher education.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm half Native American, registered with my tribe. I wonder how much URM actually matters as far as admissions goes. I posted in the "chances" section of the forum a few hours ago and I get the feeling that people think it really helps.

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Last edited by equalityLaw10 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon NA

Postby Anon NA » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for the responses. I definitely don't want to start another "box checker" argument here, but self-identification in the law school application process is certainly convoluted, especially given that it doesn't seem all of the schools and LSAC can figure out how they want to define Native American/American Indian.

I'm in a pretty difficult situation personally: I have been in the process of collecting the information necessary to enroll in my tribe for the past year and a half, but it is a slow process. After moving from the state in which my tribe's reservation resides, my family has not kept track of any forms of documentation (birth certificates and the like).

At times in my life I have self identified as Native American & white or just white (especially when applying for undergrad because it seemed at the time that if you were not enrolled YOU BETTER NOT CHECK THE BOX). Now that I am older and now more about and better appreciate were I come from, I am confident when I self identify as NA/white.

Then come the different applications--some just want you to check boxes, others have a blank line for "tribal affiliation," and still others ask about enrollment/tribal ID's. This is confusing because I want to do the right thing by myself and by the law school. I have even called some admin offices and asked, "Ok, I am not currently enrolled with my tribe, but I am part (insert tribe name here), should I list the tribal name in the blank for 'tribal affiliation'?" I have been told yes, so that is what I have been doing, but I still concerned about how this will be perceived . . . I almost wish that all schools held interviews and just came out and asked these questions, which would then allow me to give them a more complete response.

Anyway, long post, but this is something that has been on my mind. I usually just come back to the conclusion that I have been asked to self identify, and that is what I am doing. If the school wants to know more (blood quantum, enrollment, etc.), then they can ask. I will then be allowed to explain my position.

p.s. - does anyone know how people of mixed races are reported in school demographic reports? For example, when school X shows that it has, say, 5 Native American students enrolled or 27 African American students enrolled, does this include students of mixed races? I've been wondering . . .

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Anon NA wrote:Thanks for the responses. I definitely don't want to start another "box checker" argument here, but self-identification in the law school application process is certainly convoluted, especially given that it doesn't seem all of the schools and LSAC can figure out how they want to define Native American/American Indian.

I'm in a pretty difficult situation personally: I have been in the process of collecting the information necessary to enroll in my tribe for the past year and a half, but it is a slow process. After moving from the state in which my tribe's reservation resides, my family has not kept track of any forms of documentation (birth certificates and the like).

At times in my life I have self identified as Native American & white or just white (especially when applying for undergrad because it seemed at the time that if you were not enrolled YOU BETTER NOT CHECK THE BOX). Now that I am older and now more about and better appreciate were I come from, I am confident when I self identify as NA/white.

Then come the different applications--some just want you to check boxes, others have a blank line for "tribal affiliation," and still others ask about enrollment/tribal ID's. This is confusing because I want to do the right thing by myself and by the law school. I have even called some admin offices and asked, "Ok, I am not currently enrolled with my tribe, but I am part (insert tribe name here), should I list the tribal name in the blank for 'tribal affiliation'?" I have been told yes, so that is what I have been doing, but I still concerned about how this will be perceived . . . I almost wish that all schools held interviews and just came out and asked these questions, which would then allow me to give them a more complete response.

Anyway, long post, but this is something that has been on my mind. I usually just come back to the conclusion that I have been asked to self identify, and that is what I am doing. If the school wants to know more (blood quantum, enrollment, etc.), then they can ask. I will then be allowed to explain my position.

p.s. - does anyone know how people of mixed races are reported in school demographic reports? For example, when school X shows that it has, say, 5 Native American students enrolled or 27 African American students enrolled, does this include students of mixed races? I've been wondering . . .

It's my understanding that mixed-race is counted as "other"

Even though I'm only half, I ONLY checked the Native American box. I'm registered with my tribe and have kept close ties to my community my entire life, and my white father isn't in the picture. I self-identify as Native. Other people can identify me however they want though. Doesn't bother me.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I believe a mixed race person, say NA and white, would count as a NA student at the law school. I think you need to show tribal ID though.

When you all start getting returns from your cycle, post your LSAT/GPA and where you were accepted. Interesting stuff.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I believe a mixed race person, say NA and white, would count as a NA student at the law school. I think you need to show tribal ID though.

When you all start getting returns from your cycle, post your LSAT/GPA and where you were accepted. Interesting stuff.

I'll def post my stats once I start hearing back. I didn't think about providing tribal ID (I have a card), so I wrote a short little letter to my law schools and enclosed a copy of it. I'm sending them off tomorrow. I hope they accept that.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:44 pm

kjadkins wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:I believe a mixed race person, say NA and white, would count as a NA student at the law school. I think you need to show tribal ID though.

I'll def post my stats once I start hearing back. I didn't think about providing tribal ID (I have a card), so I wrote a short little letter to my law schools and enclosed a copy of it. I'm sending them off tomorrow. I hope they accept that.

I would advise against this. I mean, if you filled out their application completely, any additional information you send is going to be examined closely. If you send your card when it isn't asked for, it makes it very obvious that you believe that your race will help you become accepted to law school.

I have heard schools asking for the card after they review your file-- thats fine. However, unless the school has a blank for Tribal ID on the application I wouldn't go out of my way to send it. It might make you appear desperate, and even perhaps slightly unauthentic.

Just my opinion.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Do NHs count? :)

I feel like NHs are kind of always on the edge of being a URM. And since we don't have the same rights as many (not all, I understand) NA tribes, the only way to prove that you are NH is by showing a birth certificate with your race on it. Every time I glance at a law school's admin statistics page, they list URMs like AA, Hispanic, and NA, but NH is never included.

Do you think they lump us in with Asian-Americans? :? I mean, I'm also Japanese, but still. That would be kind of strange, yeah?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

I would advise against this. I mean, if you filled out their application completely, any additional information you send is going to be examined closely. If you send your card when it isn't asked for, it makes it very obvious that you believe that your race will help you become accepted to law school.

I have heard schools asking for the card after they review your file-- thats fine. However, unless the school has a blank for Tribal ID on the application I wouldn't go out of my way to send it. It might make you appear desperate, and even perhaps slightly unauthentic.

Just my opinion.

I mean, it's too late now. And I feel like admissions committees aren't so naive as to think that I don't know being NA makes a different. With my numbers as a non-URM I'd be going T3 if I was lucky. So desperate basically sums it up.

Flett

Postby Flett » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

Just my opinion.

I did not send my tribal ID to any of the schools I applied to due to similar thinking. However, I do have it all ready to go in a nice PDF for when/if they ask for it.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Let me know if they ask for it. I'm in the same boat.

Flett

Postby Flett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:06 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Let me know if they ask for it. I'm in the same boat.

Sure thing.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:19 pm

I think that if they don't ask for your tribal ID, you can still mention (in passing) that you have one in your Diversity Statement. That would help make it clear to them that you are a registered member of a tribe (which reinforces the rest of your diversity claims), so that they're aware of it and can ask for the ID if they end up needing it.

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I would love to hear from more NA applicants this cycle! Are there so few of us? Any NA 1/2/3Ls out there that can contribute to what the community is like at their respective schools?

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 am

Canadian Aboriginal Applicant dropping in to say hi and wish good luck to all. I think I got the LSAT to hit UVIC so I don't plan on hit American schools(was think of them in terms of safeties) I figure that the way to get the Alaska bar is JD from UVIC LLM from a T-14 profit

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Just got my first acceptance! University of Alabama, with a $24,000 per year scholarship!

Hope everyone elses cycle starts off as well as mine has!

Flett

Postby Flett » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

kjadkins wrote:Just got my first acceptance! University of Alabama, with a $24,000 per year scholarship!

Congrats! :D

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:26 pm

kjadkins wrote:Just got my first acceptance! University of Alabama, with a $24,000 per year scholarship!

Nice

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:42 pm

In at W&L! No scholarship info till next month though. It's been an eventful week for me!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think that if they don't ask for your tribal ID, you can still mention (in passing) that you have one in your Diversity Statement. That would help make it clear to them that you are a registered member of a tribe (which reinforces the rest of your diversity claims), so that they're aware of it and can ask for the ID if they end up needing it.

that's smart... i don't know how you'd work that in fluidly though

oh, and I am too. :)

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:48 pm

kjadkins wrote:In at W&L! No scholarship info till next month though. It's been an eventful week for me!

Exciting!! Congrats :) I hear W&L has really good QOL
Where else are you applying?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Also, there was this thread earlier but I want to emphasize the point.

Columbia is really under pressure to recruit more Native students, so, if you have a decent GPA, (Even if you have a very low LSAT) apply to Columbia if you can afford it. No harm, and I know someone who got in with a very low LSAT who's NDN.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:In at W&L! No scholarship info till next month though. It's been an eventful week for me!

Exciting!! Congrats :) I hear W&L has really good QOL
Where else are you applying?

All of my apps so far are on my profile on here and LSN (princesarosada28), but at the suggestion of some TLSers I'm thinking about adding a couple of more reaches. Until the acceptances started rolling in, I was worried I wouldn't get in anywhere. Now with two T1s in the bag before Christmas I'm starting to worry I aimed too low.

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Also, there was this thread earlier but I want to emphasize the point.

Columbia is really under pressure to recruit more Native students, so, if you have a decent GPA, (Even if you have a very low LSAT) apply to Columbia if you can afford it. No harm, and I know someone who got in with a very low LSAT who's NDN.

I'll definitely consider it, but I have quite the opposite problem. Pretty decent LSAT (at least I think so, 167) but my GPA blows (3.37 degree, 3.39 LSAC). Might be worth a try though.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”