0L SEO Corporate Law Internship Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AS33

Bronze

Re: 0L SEO Corporate Law Internship

Post by AS33 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

Question:

Did you guys submit the same resume that you used in your law school applications? Or did you polish it up a bit to look more professional?

Edit: by professional I mean a resume that is geared more towards catching the eye of a potential employer, as opposed to impressing a law school

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:31 am

AS33 wrote:Question:

Did you guys submit the same resume that you used in your law school applications? Or did you polish it up a bit to look more professional?

Edit: by professional I mean a resume that is geared more towards catching the eye of a potential employer, as opposed to impressing a law school
Yeah I sent the same one.

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks. I wonder if the firms ever look at our resumes, or have a say in any final decisions

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Congrats on all the interviews etc.
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Can anyone who has interviewed shed some light on the process? Types of questions they ask, subject matter they touch upon? It would be great!!

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm

salsahips wrote:Can anyone who has interviewed shed some light on the process? Types of questions they ask, subject matter they touch upon? It would be great!!
Just received an interview request as well.

+1 to people with knowledge about questions/subjects they touch on.

Aggie2012

New

Post by Aggie2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Interviewing next week after applying at the end of December. Good luck to everyone!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm

AS33 wrote:Thanks. I wonder if the firms ever look at our resumes, or have a say in any final decisions
If selected, the firm you're at will get it. There is always the SEO rumor that firms have a hand at selecting which SEOs get placed at which firms, but every recruiter/diversity coordinator I've heard of vehemently denies this. I can tell you 100% that they don't have a say in any final decisions about admission into the SEO program--that's 100% SEO.

At the end of the summer, everyone re-does their resumes during a session and a resume book is created and sent to the firms.

ETA: I know this because a welcome email was sent to all attorneys at the firm my first day with my key points from my resume extracted. Kind of embarrassing. The diversity coordinator affirmed my speculation at a subsequent lunch conversation.

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Guchster wrote:
AS33 wrote:Thanks. I wonder if the firms ever look at our resumes, or have a say in any final decisions
If selected, the firm you're at will get it. There is always the SEO rumor that firms have a hand at selecting which SEOs get placed at which firms, but every recruiter/diversity coordinator I've heard of vehemently denies this. I can tell you 100% that they don't have a say in any final decisions about admission into the SEO program--that's 100% SEO.

At the end of the summer, everyone re-does their resumes during a session and a resume book is created and sent to the firms.

ETA: I know this because a welcome email was sent to all attorneys at the firm my first day with my key points from my resume extracted. Kind of embarrassing. The diversity coordinator affirmed my speculation at a subsequent lunch conversation.
Thanks for this answer; it's exactly what I was looking for.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 am

Guchster wrote:

why was this embarrassing? maybe I'm understanding you wrong - did they extract the 'key points' as in your resume's strengths, or did they point out the flaws?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:01 am

salsahips wrote:
Guchster wrote:

why was this embarrassing? maybe I'm understanding you wrong - did they extract the 'key points' as in your resume's strengths, or did they point out the flaws?
Because my firm basically sent my resume to each and every attorney in the entire biglaw firm without expressly notifying my in advanced. I had random secretaries and partners stopping me and asking me about stuff and I thought it was weird, until I realized what had happened.

Wasn't embarrassing as in I felt like shit, more like bashful, INCREDIBLY THANKFUL, and a bit weirded out that everyone knew my story before I had a chance to introduce myself. Just didn't expect to have my resume shared with everyone without me knowing in advanced to change wording/edit/add new stuff. So let this be a lesson, make sure the resume you submit to SEO (after you've been accepted), is the resume you're comfortable with every Big Law attorney potentially reading.

ETA: I think the awesomeness of the program, is that something like this (having my resume shared with hiring/managing partners, associates, secretaries (the key to success at a law firm), potential interviewers in the entire firm) is even possible for someone like me and where I'm from.

HopevHistory

New

Post by HopevHistory » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:27 am

I submitted my application on 12/15, immediately before the first wave of interviews. Any hope? URM 162, 3.68

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 pm

The interview is very tough. It's all behavioral type questions and you will probably get different questions depending on who you interview with. You basically should research the program and firms you'll want to work for that participate since you'll get quizzed on that. Also you have to do an on the spot case study and they'll make you feel like every word you say is being judged.

Good luck everyone!

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Anyone care to speculate as to whether the case study varies by interview location?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 pm

1212 wrote:Anyone care to speculate as to whether the case study varies by interview location?
Yes because it's just a current news article. Nothing mindblowing about it but you're asked to side with one of two parties and then thrown a bunch of questions as to why that's the side you're choosing.

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm

I had my interview a couple weeks back and it surprisingly was relatively easy (I went in terrified about this interview, so maybe that's why I thought it wasn't so bad, lol). I spoke with an alum prior to the interview who told me its not unheard of to hear people cry after their interviews out of frustration...I don't know if I just got really lucky, or what, but my interview was 30min. Standard interview questions, + question about firms, & case study part (which, if you take your time to read the article, you should be fine).

If you use the list of typical SEO questions that I think is in this thread (if not, I can PM it, its pretty long) and just practice once or twice with your answers you'll be fine.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:I had my interview a couple weeks back and it surprisingly was relatively easy (I went in terrified about this interview, so maybe that's why I thought it wasn't so bad, lol). I spoke with an alum prior to the interview who told me its not unheard of to hear people cry after their interviews out of frustration...I don't know if I just got really lucky, or what, but my interview was 30min. Standard interview questions, + question about firms, & case study part (which, if you take your time to read the article, you should be fine).

If you use the list of typical SEO questions that I think is in this thread (if not, I can PM it, its pretty long) and just practice once or twice with your answers you'll be fine.
Oh frack, I wish I had gotten that list of standard questions before hand. I thought it was hard only because the interviewers don't give any cues. I also had 2 people, did you have 1?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm

JoeMo wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:I had my interview a couple weeks back and it surprisingly was relatively easy (I went in terrified about this interview, so maybe that's why I thought it wasn't so bad, lol). I spoke with an alum prior to the interview who told me its not unheard of to hear people cry after their interviews out of frustration...I don't know if I just got really lucky, or what, but my interview was 30min. Standard interview questions, + question about firms, & case study part (which, if you take your time to read the article, you should be fine).

Oh frack, I wish I had gotten that list of standard questions before hand. I thought it was hard only because the interviewers don't give any cues. I also had 2 people, did you have 1?
Guys please don't let this thread die: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=50541

It's historic! And there you will find all the info you need to know about SEO/interview questions/firms/life. This thread is what many of us SEO alumni relied on to get us into the program.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Guchster wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Guys please don't let this thread die: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=50541

It's historic! And there you will find all the info you need to know about SEO/interview questions/firms/life. This thread is what many of us SEO alumni relied on to get us into the program.
I posted in that one too but I like movement and I don't see that one moving. I gets totes bored at work and need threads that have people in them. LOL

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm

JoeMo wrote:

Yeah I had one...I had expected more than one, which is why when the interviewer asked me if I had any questions, I kinda looked around and wondered if this was the part where I would be taken to another room where the rest of the interviewers were waiting for me.

And my interviewer didn't give cues either, but I guess I was just ready for Godzilla or something to come outta nowhere that I didn't play off their emotions/feedback like I normally would. I just wanted to get it over w/, lol.

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Had my interview this morning, overall not as bad as I'd anticipated...heads-up though, my case study was given to me verbally, which IMO was significantly more challenging than if I'd had something to read/take notes on/process as I went along.

Good luck!!

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 am

Hi guys,

I have my interview February 17. I've gotten into NYU and U Virginia. Do you guys have any tips other than study up on SEO and the firms and basic interview type things? Like is there something specific I should focus on?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 am

lndixon wrote:Hi guys,

I have my interview February 17. I've gotten into NYU and U Virginia. Do you guys have any tips other than study up on SEO and the firms and basic interview type things? Like is there something specific I should focus on?
I'm not sure why this thread was started.

This thread is THE ORIGINAL one, that has an archived collection of generations of tips from SEO alumni: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=50541

Look around December-January of every year about interview tips and advice. There's so much stuff there.

I highly discourage people from posting in this thread.

lndixon

New

Post by lndixon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 am

Right. I've been looking through that one too. The link was pasted in a few of the previous comments.

Thanks anyway. And congrats to everyone thats in already and good luck to the rest. :)

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Wow, I'm just now seeing this forum. For those of you with interviews, how long did it take for you to be granted one?

I applied in December but I didn't hear anything back since. I tried to email the contact person to make sure they received every part of my application (because I went so long without hearing from them and I thought something went wrong), but she said she can't give me information about my individual application :? . Any insight from anyone?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”