(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 am

Last edited by jd20132013 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Re: So I'm working on a diversity statement(Question about theme

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 am

jd20132013 wrote:I thought it might be cliched to talk about how as an intelligent kid in adolescence I was often called "white" etc, I'm sure we all know the story, as true as it is and as hurtful as it was at the time.

I was wondering if writing about my parents, who both immigrated here from a poor background, could be a good diversity statement.

Well, obviously it *could* be, if tied to me properly. I guess I'm more asking for maybe some tips/ideas on getting started? Having a bit of trouble making it flow at the moment

I'd stay away from your parents unless you have specific ways it makes you diverse. I can think of some ways that this could be valid from personal experience but it will be hard to do right.

As for being called white for being smart. Obviously this only applies if you aren't in fact white lol but it really doesn't matter if it isn't a totally unique idea. Schools receive thousands of apps every year so no matter what you do it will be just be a personal spin of a general story they have heard before so don't worry too much about that.

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:02 am

I think a lot of people get worked up over DS when they are significantly less important than even the PS, which is also relatively unimportant. We all admire a good story about escaping the hell that was growing up in whatever situation some person is in, but all an LS cares about is that you can check one of the not white boxes on the app.

Your story sounds good, but remember that you want to come off as underprivileged as possible to maximize your DS's effect.

Not URM, so take it with a grain of salt. I fully support positive discrimination, aa, diversity, etc. in law schools.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:16 am

jd20132013 wrote:I thought it might be cliched to talk about how as an intelligent kid in adolescence I was often called "white" etc, I'm sure we all know the story, as true as it is and as hurtful as it was at the time.

I was wondering if writing about my parents, who both immigrated here from a poor background, could be a good diversity statement.

Well, obviously it *could* be, if tied to me properly. I guess I'm more asking for maybe some tips/ideas on getting started? Having a bit of trouble making it flow at the moment

you come off as someone from a privileged or middle class background. If you don't mind me asking what is your socioeconomic background? Also are you a URM? if so what kind?

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:52 am

Last edited by jd20132013 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”