URM 160 3.8 Top Public PS (Please Critique or Comment) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CADMVNOTSOCOOL

New

URM 160 3.8 Top Public PS (Please Critique or Comment)

Post by CADMVNOTSOCOOL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 am

deleted
Last edited by CADMVNOTSOCOOL on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Re: URM 160 3.8 Top Public PS (Please Critique or Comment)

Post by Kaitlyn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:29 am

Hey,

I read it and didn't comment at first because I felt that it's a) well written, b) great subject matter that ties your personal experiences to your law school aspiration, c) shows that you have clearly already taken steps to align your intellectual and career development with PI, and d) should strengthen what is already a strong application (keeping in mind your numbers and URM status).

I would just remove the line about not being compelled to take up law in order to earn "a six-figure salary;" sounds a little self-congratulatory and it's not necessary. Tailoring the last paragraph of the essay for each school in terms of how their programs/curriculum would help you achieve your goals would also go a long way.

Good luck!

CADMVNOTSOCOOL

New

Post by CADMVNOTSOCOOL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:31 am

Thank you so much. I am ta'ing and researching, so the whole process is daunting.

What do you think I should I cover in my diversity? Should I include a diversity statement?

Thank you so much.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 am

CADMVNOTSOCOOL wrote:Thank you so much. I am ta'ing and researching, so the whole process is daunting.

What do you think I should I cover in my diversity? Should I include a diversity statement?

Thank you so much.
No problem! I just graduated, and I'm taking a year out just to apply, etc. I can't even imagine what this would all be like with other things on my plate!

I definitely think you should write a diversity statement; you should take advantage of every opportunity presented to let the adcoms get to know you better, and I think there's probably a lot more ground you can cover. For example, I spoke a little about my ethnic background in my PS (second-generation), and then I used the DS to touch on racial themes that were quite different, and that I hadn't approached at all. You could do something similar to that, or you could touch on something completely different in order to diversify your profile. Up to you.

Also, your PS is a lot more focused on your intellectual and professional development. So, perhaps for the DS something a little more personal stemming from specific events in your life would be helpful in terms of letting the adcoms see the person behind the resume who grew up "on the wrong side of town," so to speak. Does that make sense?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”