University of Texas for AA?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawschoolman1

University of Texas for AA?

Postby lawschoolman1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 am

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Texas in regards to AA applicants? I didn't realize the big class size at UT until now. How would the placement be compared to UVA and Cornell. Also, would you need to be at the top of the class to get the same employment chances vs going to Cornell/UVA?

andedom

Re: University of Texas for AA?

Postby andedom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Edit: Whoops, misread your question

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm

lawschoolman1 wrote:Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Texas in regards to AA applicants? I didn't realize the big class size at UT until now. How would the placement be compared to UVA and Cornell. Also, would you need to be at the top of the class to get the same employment chances vs going to Cornell/UVA?

Im an AA applicant who was accepted to UTexas earlier this month. Im not sure why this question is framed specifically for AA applicants though(you looking for chances for AA applicants?). Taking into account cost of living differences in job salaries the job prospects at Texas probably arent much different from Cornell. I cant speak on UVA personally but the consensus is generally that UVA has quite a bit better job prospects.

WhyMista

Postby WhyMista » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 am

UT consistently places almost all of their graduates in jobs averaging in the low 110k+ range if not at graduation within 6mos. There are plenty of firms from outside of texas that visit UT and if you plan on practicing in the south it will not be hard to find a job seeing how its the only school in the south that is ranked nearly that high.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:47 pm

WhyMista wrote:UT consistently places almost all of their graduates in jobs averaging in the low 110k+ range if not at graduation within 6mos. There are plenty of firms from outside of texas that visit UT and if you plan on practicing in the south it will not be hard to find a job seeing how its the only school in the south that is ranked nearly that high.

Vanderbilt, UVA, Duke come to mind, and Emory isn't too far behind

also, what are you basing your comments on?

lawschoolman1 wrote:Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Texas in regards to AA applicants? I didn't realize the big class size at UT until now. How would the placement be compared to UVA and Cornell. Also, would you need to be at the top of the class to get the same employment chances vs going to Cornell/UVA?

disclaimer: I'm not AA, but am a minority...so I am aware of these things :P

first, there seems to be a good number of AAs here (not a whole lot, but proportionate...what you'd expect), but very few in Austin. If you go out, be aware that you'll likely be the token black person.

overall placement would probably be similar to cornell, but if you want the northeast/dc/chicago, the cornell name will likely be better; if you want texas or the south, UT will likely be better; if you're not sure where you want to go, then UVA hands down.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 pm

university of texas is going to place very well. you won't have to be at top of your class.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”