Where do i stand

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
gamblera

Where do i stand

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm

black male
gpa: low 3.0s
after freshman year 3.8,
sophomore year, i had to leave school during spring semester to care for father, brought my gpa down to low 3.0s
junior: this semester im looking at nothing lower than a 3.5, which will bring up my low cum gpa.

i just took my first prep lsat, scored in 160 range. i begin prep next week, so my score will go up.

i thought i had pretty sweet softs. but tls has said otherwise. Here is a link to a thread talking about my softs: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137010

Where should i put my apps for law school. I am looking to apply after my junior year. should I wait until after my senior, to help my gpa? also, my essays for apps are awesome (told by writing center/people who have hired me).

let/them/eat/cake

Re: Where do i stand

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 pm

gamblera wrote:black male
after freshman year 3.8,
sophomore year, i had to leave school during spring semester to care for father, brought my gpa down to low 3.0s
junior: this semester im looking at nothing lower than a 3.5, which will bring up my low cum gpa.

i just took my first prep lsat, scored in 160 range. i begin prep next week, so my score will go up.

i thought i had pretty sweet softs. but tls has said otherwise. Here is a link to a thread talking about my softs: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137010

Where should i put my apps for law school. I am looking to apply after my junior year. should I wait until after my senior, to help my gpa? also, my essays for apps are awesome (told by writing center/people who have hired me).

didn't include that first part in ur other thread, which would have changed the tenor of some of the replies you received, i imagine (towards a more optimistic note). your softs are fine, but they don't really matter. if you scored in 160 legit cold, you could do just fine--were a lot of your wrong answers on LG? bc that would be ideal. if so, get LG powerscore bibile and then crush LG and then profit. either way you are in a great spot. If waiting until after your senior year could significantly help your GPA then wait. however, if it is the difference between, say, a 3.2 and a 3.4, i don't think it will be that much of a difference. You'll probably end up being some kind of low GPA/LSAT splitter. THAT being said, your AA male status should help bunches, so i wouldn't take anywhere of the table. Help yourself out and crush LSAT. GL.

EDIT: also, i think your situation sophomore year warrants a GPA addendum, esp. if the dropoff was severe and mostly localized to the single spring semester.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:20 pm

gamblera wrote:black male
after freshman year 3.8,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9GrZ3CEyY&feature=fvw

gamblera

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm

i see what you did there

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:24 pm

gamblera wrote:i see what you did there

Only because of the thread title. Since you're a URM, do well on the LSAT and you'll have a chance at some good schools. But it's impossible to be more exact without a real test.

gamblera

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm

well, if that's the case, there's no need for this thread then.

I'll be back after feb lsats!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”