Z

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Renzo wrote:Doesn't Texas have a state law/constitutional provision that forbids race-conscious decisions in college admissions?

In 1996, the Hopwood case found UT's affirmative action program unconstitutional, and after that the AG directed all state universities to only engage in race-neutral admissions policies. Grutter overruled at least part of Hopwood, though, allowing for soft-factor diversity enrollment practices (though still forbidding hard boosts). Current state law now requires state universities to accept any applicant who graduated in the top 10% of their class (which automatically admits minorities graduating at the top of minority-majority schools); besides admitting those students, the UT system applies a "holistic" application practice to other applicants that considers multiple soft factors including racial diversity, in line with Grutter. In 2008 this system was challenged but upheld under Gutter, and an appeal is now pending in the 5th Circuit.

See http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303601504575153502859094306.html for where things currently are. This is actually potentially an important case, because if it's appealed to the USSC, it would give them a shot at overturning Grutter (something I'm sure at least four of them would love to do).

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:Doesn't Texas have a state law/constitutional provision that forbids race-conscious decisions in college admissions?

In 1996, the Hopwood case found UT's affirmative action program unconstitutional, and after that the AG directed all state universities to only engage in race-neutral admissions policies. Grutter overruled at least part of Hopwood, though, allowing for soft-factor diversity enrollment practices (though still forbidding hard boosts). Current state law now requires state universities to accept any applicant who graduated in the top 10% of their class (which automatically admits minorities graduating at the top of minority-majority schools); besides admitting those students, the UT system applies a "holistic" application practice to other applicants that considers multiple soft factors including racial diversity, in line with Grutter. In 2008 this system was challenged but upheld under Gutter, and an appeal is now pending in the 5th Circuit.

See http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303601504575153502859094306.html for where things currently are. This is actually potentially an important case, because if it's appealed to the USSC, it would give them a shot at overturning Grutter (something I'm sure at least four of them would love to do).


I knew about Hopwood and the 10% program, I just didn't know if Tx had a state law on the books analogous to California's affirmative action bad. And, apparently they don't, since they're still doing it. Interesting case to watch, BTW.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Renzo wrote:I knew about Hopwood and the 10% program, I just didn't know if Tx had a state law on the books analogous to California's affirmative action bad. And, apparently they don't, since they're still doing it. Interesting case to watch, BTW.

I have this tendency to throw the kitchen sink into my responses, just in case anyone else reading cares. And this one will be interesting.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby Knock » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:19 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Knock wrote:I realize it's still early, but I did what the OP did and so far my cycle has gone very strict by the numbers, without any evident boost of any sort.

But you've only gotten into your pretty much auto-admit schools so far so we don't know yet! and one of them was a CA public school :)


I suppose. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I don't really have any other option. But just judging from the way my cycle has gone so far, that's how I feel adcomms are evaluating my application package.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby clintonius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm

fwiw, good friend of mine got into nyu with a 3.9x and 164, half mexican, half white.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby Knock » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

clintonius wrote:fwiw, good friend of mine got into nyu with a 3.9x and 164, half mexican, half white.


Did he check both?

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I know a past 1/2 NDN who definitely got a boost. exactly how much is, of course, really impossible to determine.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby clintonius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Knock wrote:
clintonius wrote:fwiw, good friend of mine got into nyu with a 3.9x and 164, half mexican, half white.
Did he check both?
That I don't know, but I think she wrote a DS. Not positive on that end either but it sounds right.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:54 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I know a past 1/2 NDN who definitely got a boost. exactly how much is, of course, really impossible to determine.

I don't think NDN = Mexican when talking about boosts.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:03 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I know a past 1/2 NDN who definitely got a boost. exactly how much is, of course, really impossible to determine.

I don't think NDN = Mexican when talking about boosts.


I thought the question was just about people who were half and checked both boxes...
and honestly, nobody really knows the level of boost each gets

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Checking White and Mexican under race boxes - URM?

Postby masterthearts » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I know a past 1/2 NDN who definitely got a boost. exactly how much is, of course, really impossible to determine.

I don't think NDN = Mexican when talking about boosts.


I thought the question was just about people who were half and checked both boxes...
and honestly, nobody really knows the level of boost each gets


Exactly my point..no one knows the level of boost. No one comes back to talk about this and the adcoms keep this tight under the vest. You will never read about this, nor is it publicized.
I know from my own personal experience when I applied to college that I got a BIG boost. My stats in high school were excellent, but again, the SAT was only in the median range for the school that accepted me.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest