AA Male Question-161 LSAT

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jacketman03

AA Male Question-161 LSAT

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey, I'm new here, and I just have a question. I'm a black male, I have a horrible GPA (2.82) because I had undiagnosed ADD when I first transferred from community college (in Fall 09) to the big state school I'm at now, but I got on Adderall this January and I have a 3.5 since then. Took the LSAT for the first time in June, got a 154, retook it in October and got a 161. I'm currently applying and looking at Texas, Houston, SMU, Baylor, what are my chances at those and other schools of roughly equivalency? Also, would I be wasting my time sending apps to the Ivy League schools?

Softs: Former Marine, grew up on welfare, pretty bad ADD (does that count?), and some pretty hairy situations when I was a kid.

Thanks in advance for the advice, guys.

EbonyEsq

Re: AA Male Question-161 LSAT

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Anyway to raise your GPA to 3.0 before graduation?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 pm

I agree that it'd be really to your advantage to stay in school longer and raise your GPA if it's at all possible.

If you're interested in staying in Texas, though, I have a feeling you'll do pretty well at every school except UT itself. UT is still worth an app, but I don't think they'll like your low GPA. URM status can really help you a lot, but with a GPA that low it's going to be rough for you.

Then again, you do have a reason and the potential for a solid GPA addendum, it sounds like, with significant "before" and "after" GPAs to point at. With URMs they take things like that into account much more strongly than standard applicants.

You're going to be a black box. Nobody is going to know what your real reach is. I'd recommend blanketing every school you'd be possibly interested in attending. You might even want to throw a couple apps at lower T14; UVa might like that you're a Marine, and NW might like that you're a URM with WE.

Ask everyone for fee waivers. You'll probably get them.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 pm

If I could put off law school another year to get a better GPA I would, but my wife wouldn't like that too much, and I'd like to be done with school by the time I'm 30 (I'm 26 now).

Other than that is there anything else I can do to help my applications?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 pm

jacketman03 wrote:If I could put off law school another year to get a better GPA I would, but my wife wouldn't like that too much, and I'd like to be done with school by the time I'm 30 (I'm 26 now).

Write a really solid PS, a really solid DS (if it's not covered in your PS), a really solid GPA addendum, and apply everywhere you can afford to. If anyone warrants blanketing, it's you. The more schools you apply to the better the odds you'll get in somewhere decent.

T6 won't take you with a GPA that low, but like I said, a few lower T14s would likely be worth it, and you should hit as many T1 schools as you can. Anyone that sends you a fee waiver, anyone that you'd even consider attending, if you can afford it, hit it.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:If I could put off law school another year to get a better GPA I would, but my wife wouldn't like that too much, and I'd like to be done with school by the time I'm 30 (I'm 26 now).

Write a really solid PS, a really solid DS (if it's not covered in your PS), a really solid GPA addendum, and apply everywhere you can afford to. If anyone warrants blanketing, it's you. The more schools you apply to the better the odds you'll get in somewhere decent.

T6 won't take you with a GPA that low, but like I said, a few lower T14s would likely be worth it, and you should hit as many T1 schools as you can. Anyone that sends you a fee waiver, anyone that you'd even consider attending, if you can afford it, hit it.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”