question regarding status

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
akak179

question regarding status

Postby akak179 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Hello all,

I have an interesting situation and I am not quite positive what to do, I am hoping some of you fellow TLSers can help me out.

My paternal grandfather is central american (think honduras/el salvador), on my fathers mothers side he is some sort of white american. My mother is 100% white american(blonde hair/blue eyes). If you were to see me on the street you would believe I was northern european(very fair skin, blonde hair, blue eyes) I have always said the only thing I inherited were my dark eyebrows. I also have my mothers very white sounding name and am not connected to my father in any way. However on my birth certificate it does give my fathers name (extremely hispanic sounding). I also realize that non PR/Mexicans latinos get little to no boost on applications.

With all this being said am i a URM? When I meet admissions officers is it going to look like I am blatantly lying to them(even though I am not) ? Is it not even something that I should consider?

Thank you all for your help!

Spack

Re: question regarding status

Postby Spack » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:54 pm

If you don't personally identify as Central American then I would not put that on my application. It's not about the admissions people seeing you and thinking that you are lying, it more of not trying to milk the URM cow when you really shouldn't. As having a grandfather who is Central American hasn't had any effect on your life or your culture I would say again that you shouldn't mention it.

It doesn't matter what you look like, sound like, or what your name is, but rather how your background as an URM has influenced you.

All the other stuff aside, if you want the small boost I couldn't really blame you but you'll have a hard time justifying it.

Flett

Re: question regarding status

Postby Flett » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Spack wrote:If you don't personally identify as Central American then I would not put that on my application. It's not about the admissions people seeing you and thinking that you are lying, it more of not trying to milk the URM cow when you really shouldn't. As having a grandfather who is Central American hasn't had any effect on your life or your culture I would say again that you shouldn't mention it.

It doesn't matter what you look like, sound like, or what your name is, but rather how your background as an URM has influenced you.

All the other stuff aside, if you want the small boost I couldn't really blame you but you'll have a hard time justifying it.

Sorry, akak179, but I agree with Spack. I couldn't really blame you either if you decided to try this, but I would be uncomfortable with it if I were in your shoes.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”